Suicidal Actors

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:35, topic:788”]Valenciano you really need to concentrate on the substance of what is written

NOT on any BIG letters

I could not care less what big, small, colour, bold you use .
DO the same and worry about what you are posting after you have understood what
others have already posted. ???

YES I am familiar with ITALY and its language, people, customs, film/music preferences
I have read extensively, I have researched Italian websites and more.
You can rely on my knowledge or do your own research but whatever you do it should

Be WELL INFORMED and WELL ARGUED.

I have NOT seen any of the above from you, all you seem to want to do is to criticise

and be deliberately anti GERMAN and a supporter of tedious, unfunny Hill/Spencer ???

I have given my opinions , quoted facts, references, films, sources what is your
problem with attacking “BIG letters” ?/ None of your business !!

If you like your SWs as idiotic, unfunny “comedies” then watch those .

I watch and praise SWs that are tough, revengeful, realistic, nihilistic, savage, great.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE made 17 Sws, nearly all of very high quality, well written, directed, with lovely talented leading ladies, he was a handsome, SKILLED ACTOR.

Only ANTHONY STEFFEN of the major SWs Stars have made more SWs than Peter LL.[/quote]
Whoaa I dont know where I am anti-german? That would be kind of stupid; I my homecountry quite alot! And coming to arguements:
yours are Spencer/Hill stuff is unfunny. That is your opinion not a fact. I am not the biggest fan of them myself but I think they have their moments. And a fact is that they are very popular. I think checking amazon.de recommendations can be an indicator for that. And all Spencer/Hill movies get their praise as cult films there.
As well as the winnetou film, which I also enjoyed a lot as a kid.
But I grew a bit out of them as well as of Spencer/hill.
So you like realistic spaghettis? That is good but again quite hard to jugde. Most spaghettis are quite unrealistic when it comes to survival etc.

Well so much to being off-topic. Have a nice evening

He, he, Silvanito, I’m not as academic as you think.

But you are right, it’s idiotic to say I didn’t like SW, because if someone has seen 250 SWs in less than 3 years he must be loving them. And I’m no idiot and also not masochistic. But liking SWs does not mean to like every bad SW.

Films should be for body and mind, which means I want to feel films and they shouldn’t offend my intellect.
According to this so different films like GBU, 2001, Fellini’s Eight and a Half or Lynch’s Mulholland Drive are extremely entertaining while on the other side of the spectrum films like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Fidani westerns or Ghandi are more boring stuff.

But I also have a special liking for simple action films, if they are well made.

I have no problems with SW fans liking other genres of films or TV Series.

Myself I love GIALLOS HORROR THRILLERS SCI FI USA WESTERNS as well as SPAGHETTIS.

What I find very objectionable, offensive, lamentable is the twisted/sick/deranged "critics"
who every day are spitting poisonous reviews on TV, in Books, in Magazines whereby a
certain type of absolutely abysmal, dull , worthless , tedious , odious ???

comedy or light comedy drama or “realistic” drama depicting boring everyday life

These puke inducers are somehow always given a 4 or 5 star “excellent” ??? “rating” by
the deviant critics as a sort of brain washing mass exercise. I fight this garbage every day.

At the same time the morally corrupt/tasteless “critics” are giving a rating of poor/average

to all the BEST WELL MADE/ACTED/DIRECTED SWs, HORROR , THRILLERS , SCIFI, ACTION

The same sick situation is played out at the revolting/back stabbing “Oscars” where 95%
of the time the winners are FIXED backstage, with much ars* e kissing :-* and dealing.

Again the worst, most repulsive lurid, boring. sleepy “comedy” and “dramas” win Oscars.

We are forced to endure /suffer abominable waste material like :

Fassbinder( new wave sickly stuff) , Ingmar Bergman (endless talky subtitled junk),
Billy Wilder (unfunny, embarassing cross dressing “films”) and similar Kazan/G.Stevens etc

The full monty (repulsive men stripping), manhattan , brokeback mountain , Giant 56 (bore)
and numerous more duds and tur-ds like Citizen Kane, Annie hall, Kramer v kramer etc.

On Forums such as this SPAGHETTI WESTERN or HORROR or WESTERNS or THRILLERS
it is therefore wise and constructive to praise, enjoy and promote Sws/Horror/Thrillers.
When someone says “oh I can’t be watching 250 Sws” or "Demofilo Fidani makes bad Sws"
these statements cause DAMAGE and RUIN OUR CAUSE.

DEMOFILO FIDANI may not be at the level of SERGIO LEONE :wink: but he tried, made SWs and
we should all appreciate his efforts, his work and look for good in his films. THERE WAS.

BOOKS On Spaghetti Westerns :

Thomas Weisser’s BOOK “The Good The Bad and The Violent” COVERS most/all Sws/actors

WEISSERS BOOK is as complete as possible and merits a vote of 18 out of 20. ::slight_smile:

Frayling / Joe Hembus and similar BOOKS are DEFICIENT and VERY POOR because they

concentrate only on the “well known” SWs and maliciously/lazily/stupidly LEAVE OUT SWs
Sws GREATS like RICHARD HARRISON, PETER LEE LAWRENCE, ANTHONY STEFFEN all Mega
STARS who made millions, thrilled millions in Europe and are As WORTHY as any Clint or LVC

These books Frayling and Joe Hembus being seriously deficient my vote is 6 out of 20 :’(

If you are a FAN of SWs for God’s sake make sure you watch, read, learn about ALL/MOST.

WINNETOU FILMS 62-70 STEWART GRANGER/Lex barker/Leticia Roman/Karin Dor

These are some of the GREATEST, EPIC , WELL WRITTEN/ACTED Westerns ever made
and have millions of loyal fans all around the world. They are adult , serious Westerns.

I find it totally idiotic, silly and incredible that someone should criticize these and seek
to praise modern rubbish/boring drama. SHAME on these person(s). ???

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:43, topic:788”]The same sick situation is played out at the revolting/back stabbing “Oscars” where 95%
of the time the winners are FIXED backstage, with much ars* e kissing :-* and dealing.

Again the worst, most repulsive lurid, boring. sleepy “comedy” and “dramas” win Oscars.[/quote]

Aha! I assume you are refering to Titanic and it’s ilk? I agree with you 100%.

My dear SartanaDjango, at least Joe Hembus (who was a much better and much more intelligent and much more insightful writer than Weisser) was able to understand the enormous difference between Harald Reinl and Harald Philipp.

:o My dearest Stanton you have slipped up again on the forum with this Joe Hembus :o

This is a SW Forum and when you mentioned a German Book, we all assumed it was
SW related or completely discussing Sws, but NO this

Das Western Lexicon Benjamin&Joe Hembus 1994 832 pages 1894-1994

This German language Book is 100% USELESS/WORTHLESS for US as Sw fans because

It only covers and discusses WESTERNS IN GENERAL over 100 years total of 1567 films

I can get such books all day at my local Junk/jumble shop for 2 Euros each or free.

No wonder you said it does NOT mention SWs Stars like PETER LEE LAWRENCE or
RICHARD HARRISON or ANTHONY STEFFEN etc this general Western book covers
USA Westerns mostly and over 100 years.

Your Das Western Lexicon is totally NOTHING TO DO with Sws and thus IRRELEVANT

You very naughty boy Stanton. Your inclinations are clearly away from Sws ???
I think you are seeking religion/philosophy/meaning of life stuff instead of Sws ;D :wink:

THOMAS WEISSER’s BOOK may have a few errors (easily corrected) but at least

IT IS 100% ALL ABOUT Spaghetti Westerns and Spaghetti Actors/Directors. SUPERB.

I now revise my opinion and give your Joe Helbus book 2 out of 20 :cry: :smiley:

HARALD REINL is without doubt the GREATEST MOST PROLIFIC German Director.

Harald Reinl has from 1930s to 1980s directed Outstanding Classics like

WINNETOU Films, Dr Mabuse, Edgar Wallace Films, Thrillers, Joe Cotton Films SUPERB

Harald Philipp is a lesser German Director but still very good he has WINNETOU etc.

The German “directors” you must AVOID are Reiner W. Fassbinder, Herzog and similar.

[quote=“stanton, post:39, topic:788”]I’m talking about Das Western Lexikon by Joe Hembus. The last edition from 1995 (the 1st dates from 1976) contains 1576 westerns which were released in Germany since WW2.

He rates them all with 0 up to 3 stars corresponding to their international importance, which also is of course a subjective rating.
Only 1 film gets a 4th star, and that’s for The Searchers, in Hembus opinion the best western ever.
3 stars for all the historical or artistically important films.
2 stars for all the good westerns.
1 star for the OK films.
And nothing for all the average and bad ones.

That means that the films are not only rated due to his personal tastes. So a film he dislikes like Shane (again Stevens) gets nevertheless 3 stars because it is an important western.[/quote]

Personal taste or historical/artistic relevance, whatever prevails for a writer of filmguides, he’ll always be critisized (even here on the forum). So like Halliwell, this Hembus chose for a combination of the two (he even seems to have copied Halliwall’s rating).

The question is, of course, if the combination works or not. Although I usually disagree with Halliwell (he’s a bit too middle brow in my opinion) I always find it stimulating to read his book: he DOES HAVE a meaning while many other writers of guides do not (they only say what they think is appropriate to say). This Hembus seems to have a meaning too. Calling THE SEARCHERS the best ever is hardly original, but disliking SHANE (and saying so) is at least making a minor statement.
However, I do not know how SHANE was (is) judged in Germany; in France it was (and still is) disliked by quite a few influential critics. Personally I like it.

It would be interesting to know how Hembus thinks about SWs more in general.
Do they (nearly) all get a low rating?
Are there any 3-star movies among them?
What are his opinions on Leone and the other two Sergios?

Yes Cian as we all know since about 1950 the ONLY deserving Oscar winners are :

Gigi 1958 , Ben Hur 1959 a few more which I may expand later. Gotta go now.

Yes Scherp you have it Les Halliwell ??? and Joe Hembus ??? = same BAD TASTE

they both have set, fixed minds, rigid “tastes” and are HATEFUL towards Sws.

We all know what we want to do with Halliwell and Hembus…get a rocket and blast them

off into the deepest recess of space…mind you one of the two might be already dead

and rotting away in his grave… ;D :wink:

The French Connection and Unforgiven are ones I am glad received Oscars.

UNFORGIVEN is the best 90’s western in my opinion, TOMBTONE second.

Y[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:46, topic:788”]:o My dearest Stanton you have slipped up again on the forum with this Joe Hembus :o

This is a SW Forum and when you mentioned a German Book, we all assumed it was
SW related or completely discussing Sws, but NO this

Das Western Lexicon Benjamin&Joe Hembus 1994 832 pages 1894-1994

This German language Book is 100% USELESS/WORTHLESS for US as Sw fans because

It only covers and discusses WESTERNS IN GENERAL over 100 years total of 1567 films

I can get such books all day at my local Junk/jumble shop for 2 Euros each or free.

No wonder you said it does NOT mention SWs Stars like PETER LEE LAWRENCE or
RICHARD HARRISON or ANTHONY STEFFEN etc this general Western book covers
USA Westerns mostly and over 100 years.

Your Das Western Lexicon is totally NOTHING TO DO with Sws and thus IRRELEVANT

You very naughty boy Stanton. Your inclinations are clearly away from Sws ???
I think you are seeking religion/philosophy/meaning of life stuff instead of Sws ;D :wink:

THOMAS WEISSER’s BOOK may have a few errors (easily corrected) but at least

IT IS 100% ALL ABOUT Spaghetti Westerns and Spaghetti Actors/Directors. SUPERB.

I now revise my opinion and give your Joe Helbus book 2 out of 20 :’( :smiley:

HARALD REINL is without doubt the GREATEST MOST PROLIFIC German Director.

Harald Reinl has from 1930s to 1980s directed Outstanding Classics like

WINNETOU Films, Dr Mabuse, Edgar Wallace Films, Thrillers, Joe Cotton Films SUPERB

Harald Philipp is a lesser German Director but still very good he has WINNETOU etc.

The German “directors” you must AVOID are Reiner W. Fassbinder, Herzog and similar.[/quote]

Amigo It’s hopeless with you.

You really understand NOTHING.

You talk about things you know nothing about.

You always suppose things about other forum members without any knowledge.

You don’t read the postings of other members properly, or you have serious problems understanding their meaning.

All your postings sound like strange parodies on “serious” critics.

And I’m alway thinking your only aim is maybe “mixing up” other people.

Ha ha stay with Fidani or boring Ben Hur and other simple, unimaginative stuff. Be happy. Make a therapy.

And maybe the pope lives in Moscow, and is watching there, together with the ghost of PLL, every evening alternately SWs and russian musicals. This is something I would believe you, not so much else.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:47, topic:788”]Personal taste or historical/artistic relevance, whatever prevails for a writer of filmguides, he’ll always be critisized (even here on the forum). So like Halliwell, this Hembus chose for a combination of the two (he even seems to have copied Halliwall’s rating).

The question is, of course, if the combination works or not. Although I usually disagree with Halliwell (he’s a bit too middle brow in my opinion) I always find it stimulating to read his book: he DOES HAVE a meaning while many other writers of guides do not (they only say what they think is appropriate to say). This Hembus seems to have a meaning too. Calling THE SEARCHERS the best ever is hardly original, but disliking SHANE (and saying so) is at least making a minor statement.
However, I do not know how SHANE was (is) judged in Germany; in France it was (and still is) disliked by quite a few influential critics. Personally I like it.

It would be interesting to know how Hembus thinks about SWs more in general.
Do they (nearly) all get a low rating?
Are there any 3-star movies among them?
What are his opinions on Leone and the other two Sergios?[/quote]

In short, Hembus liked SWs but the only 3 star films are OUTW, AFoD, The Great Silence, Django, The Mercenary, Se sei vivo spara and oops Trinity Is Still My Name, which was one of the greatest successes of the 70s in Germany (also in Italy).

But he has written one of the most beautiful reviews about OUTW, which was not considered by “serious” critics as a classic then, by the way. Should be translated for the data-base.

Oh and there is a wonderful foreword by Sergio Leone himself.

And I think saying that The Searchers is the greatest western ever was not so obvious in 1976. Also the whole western genre was (and is!) not so accepted in these days.

The book was a pioneering work and gives a good basic overview over the whole genre. Surely not without mistakes, but which book isn’t?

It’s written with passion and with talent, and I’m sure he would have changed a many about SWs if he only were alive. But he died tragically in an avalanche in the early 80s.

:frowning: Give it up Stanton you have been caught with your “dirty pants” down and exposed

as a “masquerading” pseudo “intellectual drama queen” :smiley: lover of obscure films that

are extremely pretentious, boring, talkative, “arty”, “farty”, “crappy” No imagination >:(

but NOT Spaghetti Westerns ??? This Hembus book is as rotten as his corpse is now.

You are a fan -atic of weirdos like Fassbinder, Herzog, Bergman, Wilder( X dressing ,

and this George Stevens/Elia Kazan >:( they make Demofilo FIDANI look like a GOD :-*

My philosophy is very simple and extremely consistent for all to see:

GREAT CLASSIC SWs EURO/USA WESTERNS GIALLOS HORROR THRILLERS SCIFI

Superb talented actors/writers/directors/music/locations all make an outstanding film

When I criticize and condemn BORING TALKY dramas+unfunny “comedies” it hurts you

Stanton because that is what you like, love and live for…come on admit it we can see

:o ??? ;D

Yes Ennio and Yodlaf I had not finished listing what I believe are WORTHY Oscar winners

I will list what FOR ME are the ONLY deserving Oscar Winners as BEST PICTURE 1950 on

WORTHY Best Picture Oscar Film In CAPITALS = Especially worthy

1956 Around The World In 80 Days
1958 Gigi
1959 BEN HUR
1967 IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
1971 The French Connection
1985 Out Of Africa
1990 Dances With Wolves
1991 Silence Of The lambs
1992 UNFORGIVEN

MOST ABYSMAL UNWORTHY Oscar Winners “best film” In CAPITALS = especially BAD

Most/ALL of these below are “very special” and “very tender” for Stanton :o
and ALL those below are a sure cure for INSOMNIA ;D

1950 All About Eve
1955 Marty
1960 The Apartment
1962 Lawrence Of Arabia
1974 Godfather II
1975 ONE FLEW OVER CUCKOOS NEST
1976 ROCKY
1977 ANNIE HALL
1979 Kramer vs Kramer
1980 Ordinary People
1981 CHARIOTS OF FIRE
1982 Gandhi
1984 AMADEUS
1989 Driving Miss Daisy
1993 SCHINDLERS LIST
1994 FORREST GUMP
2003 LORD OF THE RINGS

EXCELLENT FILMS that SHOULD HAVE WON BEST PICTURE

1950 KING SOLOMON’S MINES Stewart Granger , Deborah Kerr
1951 QUO VADIS Robert Taylor , Deborah Kerr
1952 HIGH NOON Gary Cooper , Grace Kelly
1953 ROMAN HOLIDAY Gregory Peck , Audrey Hepburn
1960 THE ALAMO John Wayne , Laurence Harvey
THE TIME MACHINE Rod Taylor , Yvette Mimieux
1962 HOW THE WEST WAS WON Henry Fonda , Carroll Baker
1963 THE BIRDS Rod Taylor , Tippi Hedren
1964 SHOCK TREATMENT Stuart Whitman , Carol Lynley
1965 DR ZHIVAGO Omar Sharif , Julie Christie
1966 GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY Clint Eastwood , Lee Van Cleef
1967 KILLER ADIOS :o Peter Lee Lawrence , Rosalba Neri ::slight_smile: :wink: :smiley:
1968 MERCENARIES/DARK OF SUN Rod Taylor , Yvette Mimieux
1969 FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED Peter Cushing , Veronica Carlson
1970 AIRPORT Dean Martin , Jean Seberg
1971 HOUSE ON GREENAPPLE ROAD Christopher George , Lynda Day George
CAT 0’NINE TAILS James franciscus , Catherine Spaak
1972 FEAR IN THE NIGHT Peter Cushing , Judy Geeson

More to follow 1973 onwards next posting.

Apologies if this is slightly “off topic” :smiley:

SARTANA DJANGO you could always start up a new topic …

Thanks Ennio I am on my

“best behaviour” and will leave the Oscar question for now… :o

We could call it BIZARRE RAMBLINGS ::slight_smile: :cry: :-\

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:53, topic:788”]>:( Give it up Stanton you have been caught with your “dirty pants” down and exposed

as a “masquerading” pseudo “intellectual drama queen” :smiley: lover of obscure films that

are extremely pretentious, boring, talkative, “arty”, “farty”, “crappy” No imagination >:(

but NOT Spaghetti Westerns ??? This Hembus book is as rotten as his corpse is now.

You are a fan -atic of weirdos like Fassbinder, Herzog, Bergman, Wilder( X dressing ,

and this George Stevens/Elia Kazan >:( they make Demofilo FIDANI look like a GOD :-*

Superb talented actors/writers/directors/music/locations all make an outstanding film

When I criticize and condemn BORING TALKY dramas+unfunny “comedies” it hurts you

Stanton because that is what you like, love and live for…come on admit it we can see

:o ??? ;D[/quote]

Well, I guess my dirty pants are down too because Herzog, Bergmann, Woody Allen are all geniuses as far as I’m concerned and all the Oscar winning films you list…

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:54, topic:788”]1950 All About Eve
1955 Marty
1960 The Apartment
1962 Lawrence Of Arabia
1974 Godfather II
1975 ONE FLEW OVER CUCKOOS NEST
1976 ROCKY
1977 ANNIE HALL
1979 Kramer vs Kramer
1980 Ordinary People
1981 CHARIOTS OF FIRE
1982 Gandhi
1984 AMADEUS
1989 Driving Miss Daisy
1993 SCHINDLERS LIST
1994 FORREST GUMP
2003 LORD OF THE RINGS[/quote]

…are very good films. (Except maybe Rocky and Forrest Gump) In fact One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Lawrence of Arabia and Godfather II are 3 of my all time favourites.

So I guess I’m just a pseudo intellectual posing drama queen too. I hope the wife isn’t too upset when I tell her.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:53, topic:788”]>:( Give it up Stanton you have been caught with your “dirty pants” down and exposed

:o ??? ;D[/quote]

No amigo, you know nothing about my tastes.

But we are through now.

I always had a good laugh reading your posts, and it was fun for a few days writing something and waiting for your funny response. But there’s nothing new now and even the best jokes are gettin tired if they are repeated too often.

Enjoy the movies. The only thing which counts.

:frowning: Stanton and Sartana Django would like to announce that

“It’s all over Now” 1969 Top 20 HIT For LONG JOHN BALDRY.

It was “fun” while it lasted :wink: (allegedly) but we will not make a

Stanton type "big boring, talky drama out of it " :o ??? ;D