Suicidal Actors

The only thing I know about Berger is that he used drugs a lot. He was friend of Franco Nero, once I saw a interview that Nero was sorry about the death of his companiero… on Django and Keoma

And what about Donal O´Brien… adore him, superb actor. Is he alive?

Donal O’Brien is still alive. He was in a serious accident a decade or more ago and is paralyzed on one side but is still living in Rome I believe. The IMDb has/had him as dying but it was not true.

That is terrible IMDb has/had him as dying !

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:20, topic:788”]No Stanton I think you are talking NONSENSE and playing loud NOISES again… ???

PETER LEE LAWRENCE is a GERMAN SW Superstar and has German DVDS like
Days Of Violence 1968 , A Gun For 100 Graves 1968 and many more being released now. Peter is known and loved all over Europe he is a SPAGHETTI CULT STAR with
17 Spaghetti Western Credits and LEADING MAN in nearly all. He had Looks+ability.

Peter Lee Lawrence was a GERMAN STAR but he became famous in Italy and Spain.

Peter Lee Lawrence is praised and worshipped by MILLIONS of devoted fans in Italy
where he was based it shows by glorious DVD REVIEWS on databases and retailers.
All available online and can be checked with a few clicks.
The main Italian SW database has extremely high PRAISE for Peter Lee Lawrence :slight_smile:

Your reviews are NOT exactly “worth much” when you give things like TGS 68 a "good"
film with a SECONDARY “b” cast high scores. And other doubtful insertions ???
Do you actually speak ITALIAN ?? Or Spanish ? Most of Peter’s Films were in Italian.

I put more faith in EXPERT DVD Reviewers who are ITALIAN and have REAL SW KNOWLEDGE. These Italian SW historians/experts do not give praise lightly, if
Peter Lee Lawrence is described as IL GRANDE (The GREAT ONE/THE BIG ONE) …HE IS.

MOST/ALL of Peter Lee Lawrence’s EXCELLENT SW Performances are worth 8+ out 10
I think your 5/10 is maybe better suited to Terence Hill/Bud Spencer or Thomas Milian.

Do your research and reviewing again because you are off the mark here… :’([/quote]

It’s Ok if you like him. I think nevertheless he’s an uncharismatic actor.
The 5/10 is for his films, not for his acting.

I don’t think too much of Milian either, but he was much better than Lawrence, and he has starred in some of the best SWs. Milian is also not that famous in germany, not like Eastwood, but he is much more famous than Lawrence. Hill and Spencer on the other hand were real superstars in Germany in the 70s, and nowadays also according to their TV presence.

Only some SW fans know Lawrence in germany where 5 of his 16 SWs (17 with his small role in FaFDM) weren’t released, that’s more than 30%.
I haven’t heard of him before I digged deeper into SWs, and I have seen thousands of films and I know much about film history.
A german western encyclopaedia gives all his german released westerns 0/4 points. Why? Because the writer was an idiot? No he wasn’t. He was one of the best (and undogmatic) critics in germany, with a great love for westerns.

I don’t know about his italian fame, so what do the italians on this board say?

Again, it’s OK if you like him, but I think not so much else in this forum will do so also.

That was Peter Lee Lawrence. He was discussed on SWWB some moths ago. I don’t remember any discussion about Berger’s death.

I’m interested which Lawrence SWs were reviewed in that book and why they all got 0/4. Most of his westerns were shot in Spanish locations with at least average scripts and budgets which alone would make them better than the most miserable genre films of the 70s. He’s not one of my favorite actors but he has at least few great and memorable roles and he made many giallo-westerns which always seem to work for me. My rating for Lawrence westerns I’ve seen.

Killer Adios … 4.5 out of 5 - the best giallo western ever!
Killer Caliber .32 … 3.5 out of 5 - good giallo western, propably Lawrence’s best role (as Silver). Brescia’s best film.
Days of Violence … 2 out of 5 - below average standard westerns from trash maestro Alfonso Brescia
The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid … ? - don’t remember much about this…
Pistol for a Hundred Coffins … 2 out of 5 - slow-moving SW with overrated horror scenes
Garringo … 4 out of 5 - one of the best for both Steffen and Lawrence. R.R. Marchent’s best IMO
Awkward Hands … 3.5 out of 5 - strage westerns with kung fu movie -styled traning sequences
Raise Your Hands, Dead Man, You’re Under Arrest … 2 out of 5 - cheap and stupid comedy western
God in Heaven… Arizona on Earth … 3.5 out of 5 - typical but well-made film, director’s best IMO
More Dollars for the MacGregors … ? - again, don’t remember much, maybe I should re-watch this
Fury of Johnny Kid … I have Spanish tape (cut/short version), haven’t watched it yet.

I can see your reasoning Stanton from the Germany point of view .

PETER LEE LAWRENCE was born in Germany and was German but he made his fame,
fortune and Cult /Classic Sws in Italy/Spain.

You therefore need to really be a Italian/Spanish speaker and be very familiar with the
Italy/Spain( film markets/ Film History/ Fan sites/ Dvd Reviews/ Spaghetti databases.)

PETER LEE LAWRENCE was for many millions of his fans in ITALY/Spain/Europe as
GOOD as Clint Eastwood/Franco Nero/Richard Harrison/Lee Van Cleef etc.

Peter Lee Lawrence was a LEADING MAN, tall, blond, handsome, charming, heroic,
a very intense/talented ACTOR who expressed all the emotions and had very electric
screen chemistry with his leading ladies like Beba Loncar, Rosalba Neri, Helene Chanel

Peter Lee Lawrence deserves an 8 out 10 for his acting, his magnificent SWs, life.

You say that you have seen many films , then that some of Peter’s films were not in
Germany, then you DO NOT speak Italian or Spanish. You are not equipped to judge.

I speak Italian, am familiar with Italy, have seen most/all of Peter’s films and researched his life, career, films, directors etc.

Dogmatic may therefore apply to you if you keep on trying to undermine your Germans

What “writer” in German books works with a score out of 4 ? I doubt he even saw it ???.

On this Forum people need to learn, research, watch DVDs/Films BEFORE judging.
Also they need to look beyond the usual “top” rated films and stars and appreciate.

KILLER CALIBER 32 67 . KILLER ADIOS 68 , DAYS OF VIOLENCE 1968 , GARRINGO 69

are as GOOD , as Entertaining , as well acted/written/directed as ANY Spaghetti Film.
:o

You say that Terence Hill/Bud Spencer and Thomas Milian are “popular” in Germany. >:(

Hill, Spencer are 2 UNFUNNY “actors” who RUINED the SWs genre with idiotic “comedy”

Thomas Milian is also guilty of making many Sws and Police Films where he acts
Stupid, Crazy, Unfunny and loses all credibility. His Good films like COMPANEROS are
good films because of the leading men like Franco Nero not because of Thomas Milian.

Neither T.Hill/B/Spencer/T.Milian are even fit to lick Peter Lee Lawrence 's muddy boots

They are all on the ugly, fat, unfunny/stupid side of SWs and I give them 2 out of 10. >:(

Milian was not appealing or likeable when he overdid his filthy Mexican farmer routine.

Anyway you keep your Milian/Hill/Spencer I am happy as millions of Italians are/were
with Peter Lee Lawrence Rip.

Dear Mister Sartana Django.
It would be very nice to not attac users. They say their opinions. It is unfair you suggest them not knowing enough and that they aren’t able to jugde movies. Nobody is perfect, even not you. Please discuss objectively.

We are fans and we have one common interest: Spaghetti (Euro) Western.

And please, repliers of SD’s posts, do so as well.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:26, topic:788”]Neither T.Hill/B/Spencer/T.Milian are even fit to lick Peter Lee Lawrence 's muddy boots

They are all on the ugly, fat, unfunny/stupid side of SWs and I give them 2 out of 10. >:([/quote]
So you don’t even like Spencer/Hills performances in movies like God Forgives… I don’t !? I find that a very entertaining spaghetti western which certainly isn’t on the funny side.

I take you don’t like George Hilton’s spaghetti western performances either then?

Peter Lee Lawrence was an OK actor but nothing more. I’ve enjoyed the westerns I’ve seen with him but don’t think any of them is in my ‘top’ list.

Dearest Mr Lode “deputy”

I appreciate your diplomatic advice and I assure you that we are all straining at the
leash and barking but none of us will BITE anyone :wink: :smiley:

If suggestions are made as to the “ability” to “judge” then these are drawn from the
evidential arguments and do not stem from any confrontational attitudes. :o

You will notice that Silver Wolf also posted and had some questions about Stanton’s
"views". If Stanton speaks no Italian or Spanish also that hinders his “judgements”.

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:28, topic:788”]So you don’t even like Spencer/Hills performances in movies like God Forgives… I don’t !? I find that a very entertaining spaghetti western which certainly isn’t on the funny side.

I take you don’t like George Hilton’s spaghetti western performances either then?

Peter Lee Lawrence was an OK actor but nothing more. I’ve enjoyed the westerns I’ve seen with him but don’t think any of them is in my ‘top’ list.[/quote]

Sorry I should really elaborate in a better manner about Hill/Spencer/Milian.

What I described was the worst films (for me) sws with slapstick gags, unfunny 100%
When they are acting in a serious, violent, cruel typical SW the story is different.

Terence Hill /Mario Girotti (his original name)

Mario Girotti was excellent in 1965 FLAMING FRONTIER supporting STEWART GRANGER
Terence Hill was very good in 1964-1966 in ALL his WINNETOU Barker/Granger Films
Terence Hill was Very good in 1967-1973 Whom Gods Wish To Destroy 67, Ace High
67, Boot Hill 68 through to My Name Is Nobody 1973.

Bud Spencer was also good in some serious 1960s/early 1970s Westerns.

Thomas Milian was good in Bounty Killer 65, Big Gundown 67, Django Kill 67,
Run Man Run 1968, Companeros 71, Il Consigliori 72 he got a bit stupid late 70s ? ???

I think my definition of fat, ugly, unfunny and 2 out of 10 applies to their films after
1974 when they seemed to ruin the sw genre with endless , slapstick, unfunny films.

GEORGE HILTON is one of my all time favourites in SWs and Giallos 1966 to 1978.

Maybe if one or two of George Hilton’s later roles were “send ups” or “farcical” then
those I would not be keen on.

We can all have different opinions on PETER LEE LAWRENCE but remember he died
very young 29 !! In that little time he made 30 excellent films , 17 SWs and is known
in Italy as “IL GRANDE” or the BIG ONE /The GREAT ONE.
Peter was tall, handsome, leading man, heroic, romantic, smartly dressed, iconic. :o :smiley:

Peter Lee Lawrence is in my TOP LISTS and he will always be…

Lives some of the time with his brother in Paris. Read an interview with him once and he didn’t like William Berger at all. Claimed he could have been a great actor but threw it all away getting into the drug scene. Also disliked Sean Connery from working with him on Name of the Rose.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:26, topic:788”]I can see your reasoning Stanton from the Germany point of view .

You therefore need to really be a Italian/Spanish speaker and be very familiar with the
Italy/Spain( film markets/ Film History/ Fan sites/ Dvd Reviews/ Spaghetti databases.)

a very intense/talented ACTOR who expressed all the emotions and had very electric
screen chemistry with his leading ladies like Beba Loncar, Rosalba Neri, Helene Chanel

Peter Lee Lawrence deserves an 8 out 10 for his acting, his magnificent SWs, life.

You say that you have seen many films , then that some of Peter’s films were not in
Germany, then you DO NOT speak Italian or Spanish. You are not equipped to judge.

I speak Italian, am familiar with Italy, have seen most/all of Peter’s films and researched his life, career, films, directors etc.

Dogmatic may therefore apply to you if you keep on trying to undermine your Germans

What “writer” in German books works with a score out of 4 ? I doubt he even saw it ???.

Also they need to look beyond the usual “top” rated films and stars and appreciate.

are as GOOD , as Entertaining , as well acted/written/directed as ANY Spaghetti Film.
:o

You say that Terence Hill/Bud Spencer and Thomas Milian are “popular” in Germany. >:(

Hill, Spencer are 2 UNFUNNY “actors” who RUINED the SWs genre with idiotic “comedy”

Thomas Milian is also guilty of making many Sws and Police Films where he acts
Stupid, Crazy, Unfunny and loses all credibility. His Good films like COMPANEROS are
good films because of the leading men like Franco Nero not because of Thomas Milian.

Neither T.Hill/B/Spencer/T.Milian are even fit to lick Peter Lee Lawrence 's muddy boots

They are all on the ugly, fat, unfunny/stupid side of SWs and I give them 2 out of 10. >:(

Milian was not appealing or likeable when he overdid his filthy Mexican farmer routine.

Anyway you keep your Milian/Hill/Spencer I am happy as millions of Italians are/were
with Peter Lee Lawrence Rip.[/quote]

Do you really think Lawrence or Harrison are in Italy (or elsewhere) as popular as Eastwood or Nero?

I don’t even think that millions of italians love Eatwood or Nero, but they know them.

At least in this forum it seems nobody (apart from you) thinks that Lawrence’s films are top 20 material, because not even one of his films was named by other members so far. It seems they prefer SWs with 2nd rate actors like The Great Silence, which was listed by 50 of 61 members (which shows how undogmatic they are).
So Trintignant (which WAS an international star in these days and is a great actor not only imo) beats Lawrence with 793 to 28 points. Without your voting it’s about 793 to 0.

Do you really think most of the forum members don’t know anything apart from you?

Do you really think everybody who dislikes Lawrence is an uninformed idiot?

Don’t you think liking or disliking actors is a matter of tastes?
And not of facts?

You can praise or hate everybody you like, and you can talk about it in this forum, but calm down. It’s only entertainment.

I have to admit that I really like PLL. He is a great actor. But I also think the films aren’t Top 20 material, but not because of PLL but due to the rest of the movies…

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:26, topic:788”]I can see your reasoning Stanton from the Germany point of view .

:o[/quote]
This is where i stopped to read. On this forum people dont need to do anything, except maybe using correct punctuation and not writing everything in BIG LETTERS!
Why are films as good as others? just because you say it? Yes you are the master and you know Italy with its millions of Lawrence fans, and I will from now on only post anything after I asked you on it.

You say that Terence Hill/Bud Spencer and Thomas Milian are "popular" in Germany. >:(
Yes especially Hill/Spencer movies are popular and Cult, at least I consider there is a cult about them, because there is a whole generation that grew up with them and liked them. But I forgot that Cult can only be assigned to stuff that you like. And not to something that ruinde the genre, like Hill/Spencer who wrote directed adn produced a lot of movies with the intention to destroy the beloved genre of gritty EUROWESTERNS. ;)

Valenciano you really need to concentrate on the substance of what is written

NOT on any BIG letters

I could not care less what big, small, colour, bold you use .
DO the same and worry about what you are posting after you have understood what
others have already posted. ???

YES I am familiar with ITALY and its language, people, customs, film/music preferences
I have read extensively, I have researched Italian websites and more.
You can rely on my knowledge or do your own research but whatever you do it should

Be WELL INFORMED and WELL ARGUED.

I have NOT seen any of the above from you, all you seem to want to do is to criticise

and be deliberately anti GERMAN and a supporter of tedious, unfunny Hill/Spencer ???

I have given my opinions , quoted facts, references, films, sources what is your
problem with attacking “BIG letters” ?/ None of your business !!

If you like your SWs as idiotic, unfunny “comedies” then watch those .

I watch and praise SWs that are tough, revengeful, realistic, nihilistic, savage, great.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE made 17 Sws, nearly all of very high quality, well written, directed, with lovely talented leading ladies, he was a handsome, SKILLED ACTOR.

Only ANTHONY STEFFEN of the major SWs Stars have made more SWs than Peter LL.

[quote=“stanton, post:32, topic:788”]Do you really think Lawrence or Harrison are in Italy (or elsewhere) as popular as Eastwood or Nero?

I don’t even think that millions of italians love Eatwood or Nero, but they know them.

At least in this forum it seems nobody (apart from you) thinks that Lawrence’s films are top 20 material, because not even one of his films was named by other members so far. It seems they prefer SWs with 2nd rate actors like The Great Silence, which was listed by 50 of 61 members (which shows how undogmatic they are).
So Trintignant (which WAS an international star in these days and is a great actor not only imo) beats Lawrence with 793 to 28 points. Without your voting it’s about 793 to 0.[/quote]

Stanton we have a major problem here , you are a German but seem very uninformed
about your GERMAN SW STAR

PETER LEE LAWRENCE

You said earlier that not many films or well known PLL, in Germany and was trying to
minimize Peter Lee Lawrence’s enormous popularity in Italy/Spain/Europe.
But at the same time you try to make statements about ITALY (my country) and are
questioning that MILLIONS of fans like Clint Eastwood and Franco Nero. :o

I responded with contrary arguments, facts to your assertions and as an Italian I
should not need to TEACH you about your own GERMAN stars !!! You should know
it already and be teaching and informing me.

FRANCO NERO is probably Italy’s most distinguished, International, popular Cult actor.
CLINT EASTWOOD is on merit a world wide International number 1 box office Cult.

Based on my research, talking with Italians, fans, sws fans, reviews seen, archives etc

I stated that Richard Harrison and Peter Lee Lawrence were almost as popular SWs
as Franco nero and Clint Eastwood. That is a fair statement discussing SWs. :smiley:
What is it that you do not understand or are questioning ??
Are you NOT very proud of you GERMAN star Peter Lee Lawrence and his career ??

It is well known on this forum and other Forums that only certain already well known
films or SWs are available on DVD and always tend to be discussed over and over.

Many posters have admitted that they need to LEARN and WATCH the life and films
of Peter Lee Lawrence , because they have as you clearly do just concentrated on
the few well known Good bad Ugly/Fistful of Dollar/Sartana/Djangos.

What does your 728 mean ? NOTHING in the way you are using it.

On the other hand I have seen over and over all the GREATS G/bad/Ugly&Fistful of $
plus the Peter Lee Lawrence Sws and can make an informed and wide ranging choice.

GARRINGO 69 KILLER ADIOS 68 KILLER CALIBER 32 DAYS OF VIOLENCE 68

Are TOP 20 SW material as you can see in my TOP 20 “Italian Westerns” List :smiley:

I was almost caught making your mistake of doing a TOP 20 using just the"usual" well known always mentioned SWs, but then I decided to WIDEN MY HORIZONS /WATCH.

About Trintignant :’( as I said he is an actor who needs to be carefully picked for his
films because most are very tedious dramas, with much domestic talk and little
excitement or “quality” I did not like hiim iin TGS 68 but liked the film and have it
rated maybe around 35 on my TOP 20 list of Sws.

Trintignant made some GOOD films :

So sweet so perverse 69 Death laid an egg 68 The Great Silence 68 Flic story 75

Not much else in my opinion…not anything as you suggested at all :’(

No I’m not proud of PLL. In fact I’m also not very interested in actors. I’m more interested in directors, but only in their films, not in their fame.

I’m also not proud of the german Winnetou films ( which were/are extremely popular in Germany), they were ok for me as a child, but now they are much too simple, they are boring. Vohrer is a not so very talented director and Harald Philipp is famous only for his shortcomings, but Reinl had a certain operatic style, but it’s wasted in these simple, banal stories.

Why should I compile a Top 20 list with imo near mediocre films (Days of violence is rubbish, and I have seen it twice)? These are the best for me and there is no question about the 1st 17.

I have seen now about 250 SWs, many of them twice or more, and I’m not intending to see all 600, because my life is too short to watch so many bad films, and there are enough extremely bad films amongst these 250.

And you should also read other people’s postings more carefully, before offending them for their opinions.
Neither Valenciano nor I have said that we are Spencer/Hill fans. We only said something about their enormous popularity in Germany.
I also think that many/most Sp/Hill comedies are badly made and unfunny, sadly also the Corbucci ones, but I would prefer Trinity Is Still My Name and the other Clucher comedies (and the Colizzi Westerns of course) to every PLL, A. Steffen, R. Harrison film I have seen up to today. Because they are much better for me. That’s an opinion not a fact. There are no facts concerning the quality of art, only subjective opinions.

And if you really think that Fidani or Brescia were better directors than Nick Ray or George Stevens or Elia Kazan, than your taste (which is at least your taste and I don’t think you should change it because Leslie “mainstream” Halliwell has had another preferences) is not so interesting for me. So I don’t care very much for your opinions. (By the way there are meanwhile several films in your latest top 20 list that are also in mine. So if you offend my taste, you also offend yourself).
At least you haven’t give us too any proof for your assertions. Have you count the millions?

And you are trying to offend me again. Why?

Don’t be so offending, you are wasting our times with senseless discussions. Say what you have to say, and don’t repeat yourself so much.

You are funny!

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:25, topic:788”]That was Peter Lee Lawrence. He was discussed on SWWB some moths ago. I don’t remember any discussion about Berger’s death.

I’m interested which Lawrence SWs were reviewed in that book and why they all got 0/4. Most of his westerns were shot in Spanish locations with at least average scripts and budgets which alone would make them better than the most miserable genre films of the 70s. He’s not one of my favorite actors but he has at least few great and memorable roles and he made many giallo-westerns which always seem to work for me. My rating for Lawrence westerns I’ve seen.

Killer Caliber .32 … 3.5 out of 5 - good giallo western, propably Lawrence’s best role (as Silver). Brescia’s best film.
Days of Violence … 2 out of 5 - below average standard westerns from trash maestro Alfonso Brescia
Pistol for a Hundred Coffins … 2 out of 5 - slow-moving SW with overrated horror scenes
Garringo … 4 out of 5 - one of the best for both Steffen and Lawrence. R.R. Marchent’s best IMO
Awkward Hands … 3.5 out of 5 - strage westerns with kung fu movie -styled traning sequences
Raise Your Hands, Dead Man, You’re Under Arrest … 2 out of 5 - cheap and stupid comedy western
God in Heaven… Arizona on Earth … 3.5 out of 5 - typical but well-made film, director’s best IMO
More Dollars for the MacGregors … ? - again, don’t remember much, maybe I should re-watch this
Fury of Johnny Kid … I have Spanish tape (cut/short version), haven’t watched it yet.[/quote]

Stanton we are still WAITING for you to ANSWER Silver Wolf’s QUESTIONS to you which he put to you days ago. Good manners require a full answer +comments.

He asked you quite clearly about your “mysterious” German “book” which you claim
gives 0/4 (a totally silly rating). We are also waiting for your comments in answer
to his points and ratings he gives for PETER LEE LAWRENCE SWs which he liked a lot.

My ANSWERS to your latest posting :

You say you are “NOT proud” of PETER LEE LAWRENCE, German WINNETOU fillms ???

You say you are “NOT interested in actors” >:( , but in “directors” but "NOT their fame

People will ask what are you doing on a SW Fan Forum if you dont like actors or the
Sws but are only interested in “directors” ? You are clearly wasting your time and
everybody else’s time on the forum.

Do you think that SW fans want (like you) to watch some wrinkly, hunched, decrepit
old director on the SCREEN ? Or do you think they might PREFER PETER LEE LAWRENCE
Or CLINT EASTWOOD or ROSALBA NERI ?

The GERMAN WINNETOU Films are “extremely popular” as you said and extremely
GREAT in all departments as were the Karl May books.
If you liked them as a child why not now ? Are you now in 2007 into some of the
RECENT RUBBISH type films with swearing every 2 sentences ?
Or are you into the gutter type “arty” thrashy Rainer Werner Fassbinder or Herzog ?
That sort of dull, lurid, corruptive stuff we can all do without .

ALFRED VOHRER HARALD PHILIPP HARALD REINL

Are 3 of the GREATEST, most creative, popular German directors what is your problem?

Then you complain that watching too many SWs 250 and “so many bad films” ??

I mean you clearly are on the WRONG FORUM because as you have said you Stanton

DO NOT “like” PLL or “any actors” or “any directors FAME” well that is MISERABLE :’(

I therefore conclude you only like the twisted critics choices abysmal , overpraised

THRASH like : brokeback mountain, das boot, the full monty, fassbinder/herzog :’(

ALFONSO BRESCIA is a director of many great, well acted/directed SWs. Fidani is Ok.

These Nic Ray/Elia kazan/George Stevens have NOT made even 1 Sw but have made
many many dull, dreary dramas to put everybody to sleep. Some good films too.

You betray yourself again in mentioning these directors and condemming Sws directors

We are ON A SW FORUM !! Not a boring drama/comedy/talk Forum of bad directors.

I am NOT anything “offense” I am VERY OFFENDED by your lack of any pride for

GERMAN GREAT Classic Films/Actors and For Outstanding Spaghetti Westerns.

You are not “funny” at all because you said you do NOT like actors, Sws or directors
and their famous films. It is better if you kept such nonsensically bad opinions quiet.

I on the other hand LOVE/LIKE many many many SWs, German Stars/Directors ::slight_smile:

DAYS OF VIOLENCE 1968 is a magnificently acted/directed, cruel, tense Spaghetti it
is AS GOOD as any Ray/Kazan/Stevens Films and BETTER still, it is OUT on KOCH DVD.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE was a GERMAN like you, he left his country as a young man
he struggled to earn a living , learnt to speak Italian, trained to become a top leading
actor and was so successful and popular in Italy/Spain/Europe with MILLIONS OF FANS.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE was so popular and successful that he MADE 17 QUALITY SWs
which is more than most Sws actors except the late Great ANTHONY STEFFEN. :smiley:

PETER LEE LAWRENCE was handsome, tall, expressive sensitive talented actor, heroic
and he had superb chemistry with his leading ladies. He died at 29 , making 30 films.

That is a LEGENDARY CLASSIC LIFE STORY and I am extremely proud of him and I am
Not a German but am certainly more “patriotic” and “caring” than you seem to be.

No offence but you dont “like actors” so what is the purpose of your presence here ??

What we see and love on screen is the ACTORS and the ACTRESSES and the STORY.
We dont have a fetish fixation for “directors” and then not their “fame” thats crazy.

Answer Silver Wolf’s questions and his comments so you dont offend him too.

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:25, topic:788”]That was Peter Lee Lawrence. He was discussed on SWWB some moths ago. I don’t remember any discussion about Berger’s death.

Fury of Johnny Kid … I have Spanish tape (cut/short version), haven’t watched it yet.[/quote]

Sorry Silver Wolf for forgetting to answer your question.

I’m talking about Das Western Lexikon by Joe Hembus. The last edition from 1995 (the 1st dates from 1976) contains 1576 westerns which were released in Germany since WW2.

He rates them all with 0 up to 3 stars corresponding to their international importance, which also is of course a subjective rating.
Only 1 film gets a 4th star, and that’s for The Searchers, in Hembus opinion the best western ever.
3 stars for all the historical or artistically important films.
2 stars for all the good westerns.
1 star for the OK films.
And nothing for all the average and bad ones.

That means that the films are not only rated due to his personal tastes. So a film he dislikes like Shane (again Stevens) gets nevertheless 3 stars because it is an important western.

Westerns with PLL starring get 0/3 because they had a very low international reputation at the time of the writing of this book AND because he seems to have disliked them.
But one has got one star: His Billy the Kid film, but Hembus describes this film as dull.

Films with Steffen and Harrison also get at best 1 star, most of them also 0.

In the books by Frayling and Hughes PLL is also not even mentioned (according to the index)

Frayling lists “directors and key films” and another list with “other directors, actors photographers, musical directors”, but no entry for Lawrence, Steffen, Harrison or one of their films, but one for “second rate Kinski”.

It seems that they also were not so convinced from the importance of these actors

I think Stanton has a more academic approach than the rest of us, but that’s his business.

Surely he must enjoy some spaghetti-westerns, otherwise he wouldn’t waste his time on this forum?