Spagvemberfest 2020

Objection, your honor.

Overruled.

Day 2 I decided to go for another tongue ā€˜nā€™ cheek film, and I picked

Testa tā€™Ammazzo, Croceā€¦sei Mortoā€¦Mi Chiamano Alleluja

Iā€™ve seen this on YouTube before, someone had upload an English subtitled version. Today Iā€™m watching a restored version on Films&Clips. Yes itā€™s silly at times, but a lot of the humor works, and itā€™s hard not to like George Hilton as the amiable straight man who does funny things.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just seen Gentleman Killer (1967). While itā€™s definitely not as good as two other Steganiā€™s westerns and is undoubtedly too derivative to become anything memorable, it was still an enjoyable watch, fairly well executed too. Nothing special, but it delivers I guess, another one to strike out of my watchlist.

2 Likes

Hellbenders

Kicked off this years fest with a classic Corbucci that was due to a rewatch. It getā€™s better and better with each viewing for me. A brutal and violent dog-eat-dog story with both suspense and dramatic moments that makes it an entertaining watch all together! 8/10

7 Likes
  1. Between God, Devil and Winchester

Well, I didnā€™t expect the endurance test will kick in so early.
This is spaghetti take on Stevensonā€™s Treasure Island, but it so vague that I was constantly tipping out of focus.
On endurance scale, where Fat Brothers Of Trinity is 9 and everything directed by Lattanzi is 10, this turkey is 8.

2 Likes

Steffenā€™s spaghs seem to grow on me over the years, recently I rewatched Shango and I was horrified how much I enjoyed it. :yum:

Really? Iā€™ve just added it to my watchlist, not sure whether Iā€™ll watch it this year, but I expected at least something passable before reading your comment.

You should really watch Six Bounty Killers for a Massacre (1973) by Lattanzi in its entirety BTW. I think itā€™s unironically the worst spag Iā€™ve ever seen and itā€™s the closest to the definition of the term ā€˜unwatchableā€™. Yes, itā€™s even worse than the three Creas that Iā€™ve seen, it beats On the Third Day Arrived the Crow (1973) by an inch and dethrones the flick as the worst spag ever for me. Unbelievably boring garbage, like brain-meltingly boring, I canā€™t believe I sat through it until the very end. Yes, I think itā€™s somehow much worse than The Executioner of God (1973).

Steffenā€™s not that bad and some of his flicks are fun. I thought he was shockingly excellent in A Train for Durango (1968).

1 Like

Jesus Fucking Christ. I beseeched to never touch such a shit again, but on the other hand when a challenge is presented who am I to decline it? :joy:

I mean, itā€™s not on the level with Creas and suchs, but you might fall asleep watching it. There are some nice locations in the end though.

1 Like

:rofl: Comment of the day ā€¦ thank you.

1 Like

For day 2 Iā€™ve pick this Il magnĆ­fico Texano.

Itā€™s a kind of Zorro flick which is not exactly my type of spaghetti but I found it OK to watch. It was cool to ear the name of my father, JosĆ© Pereira, over and over again. :grin:

Been thinking of some rules for my pickings. So, Iā€™ll try to avoid repeating same main star for the time being. Same for directors. No re-watchings for this periorod too.

3 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020

Day 1

The Price of Death (Gicca Palli / 1971)

With my plan to watch all of Garkoā€™s westerns during this Spagvemberfest I decided to approach them in no particular order so as to mix the earlies with the lates. So first up was this Gialloesque whodunnit which I watched via a pretty good print on youtube. My vhs rip DVDr looks pretty shitty in comparison I must say and the better picture quality definitely improves the viewing experience. But overall it is a bit ho hum and I prefer the previous vehicle for the detective bounty hunter, Killer Calibre 32. That one was also penned by Enzo Gicca Palli but this one also has him in the directors chair.

Not a bad start to the month but Iā€™m looking forward to some better from the Garko list.

As a side note, despite Kinski being featured prominently in all the posters and lobby cards he couldnā€™t have done more than a couple of days work on this film. He spends almost the whole time in a jail cell and only gets the occasional opportunity for a Kinski rant. A perfect example of his maximum pay for minimum work ethic.

2 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020

Day 2

$10,000 for a Massacre (Guerrieri / 1967)

Now weā€™re talking.

Without a doubt Garkiā€™s best western. And Guerrieriā€™s too. And Camasoā€™s. Andā€¦ well you get the picture. This one seems to just get better and better for me with every viewing and Iā€™ve never understood why it hasnā€™t made the Official Top 20. Itā€™s certainly in mine. Pretty much ticks every box of what I want in a Spaghetti Western. Itā€™s guylinertastic!

3 Likes

Having seen Batzellaā€™s absolutely abhorrent Djangoā€™s Cut Price Corpses (1971), I expected Paid in Blood (1971) to be just as abominable, but actually it turned to be surprisingly enjoyable. I mean it isnā€™t anything fancy, but all things considered, itā€™s relatively well shot (it doesnā€™t have nearly as much shitty handheld camerawork as the former movie), moderately well pieced together and decently scripted for the most part. Suffice to say, I found it to be nowhere nearly as vexing as the other flick. Recommended for fans of ultra-low-budgeted spags.

3 Likes

Day 3: Two Guns and a Coward

Continuing the circus theme I chose Two Guns and a Coward for day 3. The premise of the film is simple - ā€˜heroicā€™ circus gunman Gary Maguire takes credit for killing outlaw gang, is embarrassed by real killer in front of audience, loses all their respect and hits the bottle (as you do), before inevitably redeeming himself.
I like my westerns to be dirty and violent so this didnā€™t quite do it for me and the dialogue and soundtrack would be more suited to a 1950s US western. However, the second half of this film has an interesting take on the genre as Gary overcomes his psychological issues, helped by his young friend Tony, before the final showdown. Definitely worth a watch.

2 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020: DAY 3

Time to slow things down now for the contemplative, almost haunting A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964). Iā€™m looking forward to this third go around. The first and last twenty minutes of the movie seem to be improving with each watch. The rest of the movie is feeling stodgy but thatā€™s probably because Iā€™m still not paying too much attention to the movie on the whole. itā€™ll improve for sure - for awhile, hopefully - once I start concentrating properly.

3 Likes

:worried:

Iā€™ve just seen Apocalypse Joe (1970) and found it so-so. The first two thirds of the movie are somewhat plotless and pretty superficial, yet entertaining for the most part. As others have already stated, the last thirty minutes are very dynamic, in fact, so dynamic that I couldnā€™t get enough of this dynamism, so I pressed the fast-forward button to get even more dynamism in the end. Moving on to A Coffin for the Sheriff (1965).

2 Likes

He he, best way to watch this masterpiece ā€¦

Yes. I think, he had never made a bad spagh, right, hm, it is just that his acting ability, or lack of it, sometimes gets in the way.

I think Iā€™m gonna need this today. The only thing you can beat Lattanzi with is just another monster.

1 Like