Spagvemberfest 2020

Woah with the name calling :wink:

1 Like

Kicking off this Spagvember Fest with an early 70ā€™s one

Acquasanta Joe aka Holy Water Joe with Richard Harrison, Ty Hardin, and Lincoln Tate

Not a bad one I think; definitely smaller scale in some areas, but one of the better efforts as the genre was starting its slow decline

2 Likes

Guess Iā€™ll be joining this year, considering the pandemic situation and the new lock down in my region, I should have plenty time to moan a couple of spags. Iā€™ll be most likely sticking to the ones available in YouTube, mostly because nowadays is where I spent more time watching visual media and there are tons of spags there. The first one Iā€™ve picked was ā€œI senza dioā€. A very enjoyable one I must say.

2 Likes

Wow, itā€™s getting crowded in here, even the boss himself has joined us. We only needed a pandemic and a global lockdown for that to happen, but letā€™s not dwell on that. :wink:

Tonight I am viewing Those Dirty Dogs (1973), not sure what to expect.

3 Likes

Btw brownie points for those who link the movie titles to the database :slight_smile:

I am continuing with a way overdue re-watch of Companeros, which is artsier than I remember it, but also this time I am watching it with the German dub which tries really hard to be funnyā€¦ maybe too hard. At any rate, itā€™s flawed but unjustly overlooked in Corbucciā€™s oevre. Yes, it went down better with the European audience while The Mercenary went down better with the American audience (it is also the better film IMO), but they are both each a side of the same coin, Corbucciā€™s double punch stab at the revolutionary genre. Recommended.

Here is my full review, brand new: Retrospective review of Companeros on BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

3 Likes

I hardly use computer when Iā€™m on web surfing mood, so I guess I wonā€™t get bonus :roll_eyes:

Those Dirty Dogs is hardly the creme de la creme of the genre, but not too shabby either and pretty decent for an effort coming from 1973. The combination of comedy and violence sometimes works, sometimes it doesnā€™t, but the movie moves forward pretty nimbly, doesnā€™t dawdle and is pretty funny in places. You can definitely do a lot worse than this, a nice Sartanesque little adventure.

Moving on to Two Crosses in Danger Pass (1967).

2 Likes

What does that have to do with it? Linking should work without a problem from the phoneā€¦ but no obligation :slight_smile:

Right, Iā€™ve posted something along those lines boss but feel free to tweak/amend/cut/append it as you see fit if you think it needs anything else. :+1:

Few days ago Iā€™ve been contemplating what if someone decided to watch the same spagh (I had GBU in mind) during the whole month and I dismissed it with healthy laughter that nobody would voluntarily endure such insanity. :grin:

2 Likes

Itā€™s frigginā€™ brilliant. Everyone should read, appreciate and share it:

1 Like

I still canā€™t believe last.caress is actually doing this. I thought it was just an innocuous joke, but apparently not. :worried:

1 Like

I hope he is doing it, I want to watch him go slowly madā€¦ nyahahaahaha. He will become Frankensteinā€™s Spaghetti Monster.

But on a serious note, Iā€™m pretty much interested in this project. :+1:

2 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020: DAY 2

After a cracking start to my Spagvember this year with the magnificent A Fistful of Dollars, Iā€™m now digging right into the meat of the genre with the rugged and uncompromising A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964). My tactic in the first week at least is to not pay too much attention to the movie as it plays. Just sort of let it wash over me. Envelop myself in a Dollar-y vibe rather than invest myself in too many specifics too quickly. Iā€™ve got a long, long way to go yet; and - Iā€™ll be honest - itā€™s already feeling as though Iā€™ve got a long, long way to go. Now, get three coffins ready.

3 Likes

:worried:

2 Likes

Day 2: Boot Hill

I had low expectations for this film due to numerous bad reviews. Those reviews were spot on as, despite having a decent cast, the film lacks a coherent narrative and the gimmicky circus elements are just plain annoying. Itā€™s another film ticked off the list though.

4 Likes

God Forgivesā€¦ is the best of the trilogy, followed by Ace Highā€¦ probably :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed God Forgivesā€¦ and Iā€™m pretty sure I have Ace High scheduled for later in the month. I havenā€™t decided on films for the whole 30 days yet.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to watch Sergio Garroneā€™s Una lunga fila di croci (1969) tonight ā€“ recently bought the new White Pearl Blu-ray.

3 Likes
  1. Fidani: Four Came to Kill Sartana
    -Every spagvember needs at least one Fidani. This film is good fun with the mysterious bad guy ā€œmormonā€ (whose secret identity you keep guessing like 10 minutes) and his four hired killers. Horse riding, saloon brawls, crazy gunfights at the gravel pitsā€¦ such fun. 6/10
5 Likes