Spaghetti Western Posters

Well, amigo…on this we will just have to disagree! ;D
I think the Japanese posters are, generally speaking, superior to most of the European posters. There are exceptions, of course.
The Italian posters and those that use the same artwork are usually great; but, compared to some of the Danish, Polish, Spanish, and Thai posters for Italian Westerns I have seen…the Japanese posters are magnificent.
I love the posters from Japan.

Oh not at all. We merely have different tastes. I also know that I’m in the minority, most people love the Japanese style much as you do. Just doesn’t say me much. Also as I said I’m not much into that photo montage style often used.

Fair enough, hombre!

Well I don’t like the Hollywood photo-artwork of the last 25+ years. REALLY boring.

But the Japanese have the longest tradition worldwide because they were the first
to practice it. They were always good at it and they also had the experience after a while.
The French photo-artworks of the 60’s were dreadful (black & white) too. It think
only the Japanese mastered that subject.
For collectors Japanese stuff is always interesting for the exact opposite reason:
most OTHER artworks get boring when they are used by almost every country
in the world. (IL MERCENARIO is a case in point - two different artworks used
again and again… The japanese is the only one REALLY different I ever saw. So far.)

On the point that the Japanese artwork looks different we can quickly agree :slight_smile:

I don’t collect posters from all around the world so am not so inclined to be bored by the traditional artwork. In fact I started out only collecting Danish stuff, then I went across the border and picked up a bunch of German posters and lobby cards and press sheets and now I have fallen over the Italian locandinas which for me is interesting as they in contrast to the Danish and Geman stuff of course contains THE original artwork … :slight_smile:

OK, have started collecting Italian posters so am probably going to showcase a couple of those in this thread in the months to come. The standard Danish poster is something like 59x82 cms which are fairly small compared to some of these mothers. Here for example we have the Italian 4-sheet (140x200 cm (!)) manifesto (fancy Italian word for large poster :slight_smile: ) for Crea’s masterpiece Il magnifico west:

Nice one Søren!

Thanks Silence !

That’s what I call a big poster!

I just found this finnish Keoma poster from my closet. Funny, I had totally forgotten that I had it.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:310, topic:694”]I just found this finnish Keoma poster from my closet. Funny, I had totally forgotten that I had it.

[/quote]

Caramba! Cool !
What have you also got in your closet ? :wink:

Ricky Martin, but he got out today as well.

and few skeletons skeletors.

Don’t tell me they named Keoma Caramba in Finland !?

Are all the Finnish posters bilingual like this one? That is, displaying both text in Finnish and Swedish?

Nice poster by the way.

[quote=“Søren, post:314, topic:694”]Are all the Finnish posters bilingual like this one? That is, displaying both text in Finnish and Swedish?[/quote]At least most older poster I have seen are like that. I don’t know when they stopped doing them like that, maybe during 80’s.

So what? Compared to the German titles “Caramba” is harmless…

Yes, yes, but calling the character in the movie Caramba instead of Keoma is pretty strange. Wasn’t he referred to as Keoma in all the various German titles?

Since films aren’t dubbed in Finland the character remained Keoma anyhow. Probably they just thought Caramba sounded more cool. It was also known as “Caramba – paholainen kannoilla” here which means someting like Devil on your trail in english.

I think you’re right. But there are English titles where Keoma is Django:

Caramba in Portuguese and also In spanish it’s an expression of Surprise like “Wow”

Imagine this dialogue
-Bought a new Ferrari
-Caramba what a car

It also use when you’re trying do something difficult and it’s not going to well, image you’re hammering a nail and hit a finger with the hammer or something like that

It was very commum expression in Portugal, not so often in this hip hop days.
Summarizing Caramba it’s an expression of surprise or distress use to avoid saying worst words in the sense of swering