Spaghetti Western Posters

Cool thread here, I never saw Danish SW-posters besides the Leone films…

Here a some of my Italian Leone posters:

I notice alot of SW posters are folded instead of rolled up so you end up seeing the creases. Unfortunate.

Well, that is because no one rolled posters until long after the Spaghetti Western genre had “played out”.
All distribution companies (and everyone else for that matter) folded their posters in the 1960’s. That goes for America, Europe and Asia. I don’t recall seeing rolled theatrical posters until very late in the 1970’s (or was it in the early 80’s?).
I just remember a theater owner I knew in Stillwater, Oklahoma being very excited that “they” were starting to ship him posters rolled up in tubes instead of folded and he was thrilled that he had a poster for the film EXCALIBUR that wasn’t folded!

The late Donald S. Bruce once told me that if you have an Italian Western poster that is supposed to be original but it doesn’t have fold lines–then it is most likely a reprint.
However, some original posters have been “restored” and the creases, or fold lines, are not visible–so, you can’t always judge by that criteria alone.

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:283, topic:694”]Well, that is because no one rolled posters until long after the Spaghetti Western genre had “played out”.
All distribution companies (and everyone else for that matter) folded their posters in the 1960’s. That goes for America, Europe and Asia. I don’t recall seeing rolled theatrical posters until very late in the 1970’s (or was it in the early 80’s?).
I just remember a theater owner I knew in Stillwater, Oklahoma being very excited that “they” were starting to ship him posters rolled up in tubes instead of folded and he was thrilled that he had a poster for the film EXCALIBUR that wasn’t folded!

The late Donald S. Bruce once told me that if you have an Italian Western poster that is supposed to be original but it doesn’t have fold lines–then it is most likely a reprint.
However, some original posters have been “restored” and the creases, or fold lines, are not visible–so, you can’t always judge by that criteria alone.[/quote]

Mine are folded as well. For me this is no big problem. The creases give them - let’s call it charm.

All original cinema posters in the U.K up to the late 80’s / early 90’s were always folded (with a few exceptions, but not many). Posters are now rolled, but some sellers still fold them.

In order to give them this antique charm?

Could be. I know some sellers who do not like to sell rolled posters at film fairs as they do not like to carry load of tubes around, so some sellers fold them.

In order to give them this antique charm?

Not really…
Rather because it is impractical. If you have 19 posters - no problem. But if you have 8000…

Being a ‘dealer’ myself… I very rarely offer unfolded posters (1990’s - today) because shipping them
is so much work. You need a tube, expensive shipping…
I also hate keeping unfolded posters, looking at them is soo dangerous. They get ‘hurt’ so easily
when moving them around a lot. Also I hate the ‘rolled’ look the have when you unroll them, they
are never flat (unless you frame them).
But of course if you own an unfolded poster dating back to the 40’s - 70’s, you don’t fold it
obviousely. Vintage unfolded posters are scarce & of higher value…

What about ripping them to pieces? THAT could make them handy!

A jigsaw poster :smiley: .

The ultimate SW fun for the whole family!

[quote=“mike siegel, post:281, topic:694”]Cool thread here, I never saw Danish SW-posters besides the Leone films…

Here a some of my Italian Leone posters:[/quote]

Very nice… Incidentally I don’t own a single Danish Leone poster which is why I haven’t shown any here :slight_smile: Not because I couldn’t get my hands on any but because I didn’t want to pay the $100-$500 pricetag they have borne. I go for the bargains instead.

Danish poster for Garringo:

Cool poster, gotta love thus Danish ones!

celebrating Sergei Kowalski & Paco Roman:

I’ve got that yellow U.K. one :wink:

[quote=“Søren, post:293, topic:694”]Danish poster for Garringo:

[/quote]

I like Steffen being tagged as Django.

[quote=“mike siegel, post:295, topic:694”]celebrating Sergei Kowalski & Paco Roman:

[/quote]

Beautiful posters, Mike!
I have the two above. Funny thing about the Spanish poster—I found it in a shop in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico (along with the original Spanish program). One doesn’t usually find European stuff like that in a Mexican curio shop!

I like those Japanese ones, they look a little different.

I generally think that Japanese posters look very clinical and downright boring. The same goes for The Mercenary one shown above. Photo-montage thingies don’t make the greatest posters :slight_smile:

The rest of the Il mercenario-posters look simply gorgeous though. Nice collection.