Sonny & Jed / La banda J. & S. Cronaca criminale del Far West (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)

I first saw this film back in the 80s - the UK “Bandits” VHS - and absolutely hated it. Not just for the way its female characters were relentlessly abused (I was a rather right-on student at the time) but because of its rambling plot, its failure to be either a comedy or an adventure, and the fact that it was almost all talk and no action. The only redeeming feature was Susan George, who I had quite a crush on at the time, and the fact that she goes through the film dressed like a vagabond made her curiously seem all the more attractive.

Fast-forward about 35 years and I’ve just watched an excellent print of this on YouTube (from the indispensable Grjngo channel). Much more positive impressions this time round. It’s still a grotesque anti-romance, with all the eccentricity and vulgarity of Corbucci at his least restrained, but it made me laugh a good few times, it has a grittily authentic look and the story came across as quite compelling. Like others on this thread, I still dislike the way Sonny is treated (up to and including attempted rape), and the way she falls in love with her abuser seems to echo Susan George’s controversial performance in Straw Dogs. But Milian clearly relishes playing an even cruder version of Vasco - Che Guevara beret and all - and Telly Savalas also seems to be enjoying himself.

I got the impression that Corbucci was parodying and perhaps expressing disillusion with some of the ideas in his previous films. In Sonny and Jed, the ‘saviour of the poor’ ends up failing them, and whereas A Professional Gun and Companeros end with extravagant machine gun massacres, here Milian can barely get the thing to shoot, and the rich landowner rides away unscathed. That makes the final Jed v Franciscus confrontation a bit of an anticlimax, and yet in retrospect it seems to work.

It’s hard to say how inspired Ennio Morricone was by this film. His soundtrack basically consists of just two pieces of music - “Sonny” and “Sweet Susan”. Yet “Sonny” is one of his most wistfully beautiful themes.

I would still say the best thing about this film is the gorgeous Susan George. When I tweeted about watching it and tagged her in, she replied saying she had “great memories” of the film and she loved playing Sonny. Which, after all her character gets put through, is nice to know.

4 Likes

Nice to know she enjoyed it indeed.
And interesting points you make about Corbucci possibly parodying his own ideas from previous films. I seem to remember @Bill_san_Antonio commenting some years back that he thought the film was heavily influenced by Felini’s La Strada and I can definitely see that connection too.

Haven’t seen the film in some years but liked it a lot back then.

Here’s the review I wrote back in 2009.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, an excellent review which sums the film up perfectly.

2 Likes

I re-watched it recently, and I probably liked Sonny & Jed a bit more then before, but it still remains a lesser Corbucci. There are some really well directed scenes (at least), but most of the films runtime it plods along without bringing much ideas into it. It is still a far cry from what Corbucci once was able to do only a few years before.
Morricone’s lazy soundtrack seems also to be done quite quickly without anything new. And Milian is annoyingly repeating his worst Milian personations. As a result the film too often bores me, only gets towards the end a bit exiting here and there.

5/10 on a good day

One I have always enjoyed. The bad language, actors and music (alas not much variety). And still have the Bandits VHS tape !, one of my favourites.

3 Likes

Finally watched this one for the first time a little while back. Lower end for Corbucci i suppose, but still quite good on the whole. 6.5/10

Just finished watching this a few minutes ago on YouTube and really enjoyed it. It’s not a particularly well made film and I wouldn’t recommend it to most people (even on this forum), but it did a lot of thing I personally loved. Particularly the ending where Sonny calls out Jed for his crimes and chooses to leave him. It was incredibly refreshing to see after how horrifically he treated her during most of the movie. While the film may actually end up on my personal top twenty, I don’t think most other people will feel the same way.

As an aside, this is the only Spaghetti Western I’ve seen that has actual spaghetti in it.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I just watched Tomas Milian suck milk straight from a cow teet.

2 Likes

This is the same man who insisted on wallowing around in actual pig crap, which included having his face shoved in it, so it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise. I’ll take the straight milk any day. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve just finished it and I gotta say, I really loved it. I think the start is a little rough but it really picked up once Sonny and Jed became more friendly with one another. I particularly loved the post-marriage montage of them going on a crime spree and getting their photograph taken. It was surprisingly funny too, and it’s not all the stupid slapstick humour that I dislike in other Spags like My Name is Nobody. This easily deserves a spot in my top 25.

On a side note, Corbucci REALLY loves his maxim machine gun finales, doesn’t he?

1 Like

I don’t like slapstick in spaghetti westerns either. I remember Milian looked pretty weird here. The first scene was great and Telly Savalas was great too.

2 Likes

Wasn’t a lover of this one…wanted to like it because of Milian, George, Savalas and Corbucci but I thought the two lead characters were little more than a pain for the majority of film. I agree it did make me laugh a bit a few times, and I liked the different kind of story, but ultimately I thought it was a big missed opportunity considering who was involved.

5 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.). It will likely feature in one of Tarantino and Avary’s podcast episodes so I thought better redo this page now, before hundreds of people take a look at it. Now is our chance to improve it in all aspects!

Nice. Checked the links and all works fine.

I think I have a dutch VHS cover. I will look how to download it to the site.

Cool!

new podcast episode out now, check it out

Give your rating for Sonny and Jed. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like