Sonny & Jed / La banda J. & S. Cronaca criminale del Far West (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)

Remember the old U.K vhs tape having a few less scenes in than the Greek vhs.

I have 2 dvd-r’s of this and both are very dark, even the daytime scenes look like dusk.

I’ve never seen this one, and I need to rectify that.

Saying that, I love DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY. Fantastic ending!

One of my favourites.

I had a horrible fullscreen VHS (where half the time the actors are cut off at the sides) and only saw the uncut film recently on Youtube. In my copy Jed’s opening monologue is cut out and the opening credits are moved to later. Aparacito’s speech to Sonny was also gone, and they cut out the nude scenes as well (but all the Susan George abuse was left in :stuck_out_tongue: ). They also

(SPOILERS!!!)
cut out Savalas’ death (which I kind of like, it sort of adds to the “unending cycle” of the ending).

One question: an IMDB user claims that Rodney Dangerfield was originally going to play Jed. It seems REALLY unlikely to me, but does anyone here know for sure?

No idea on that. I am glad he did not play Jed though.

I’m even more glad he did not play Sonny …

Tomas Milian dubbing his lines in Italian for Sonny & Jed

5 Likes

Nice footage and good work from the sound effects duo! :grinning:

The complete doc:

1 Like

No Corbucci film is without loveable characters, but Sonny and Jed have to be some of the most memorable he ever shot. From start to finish, we get a story that revolves around Sonny ( Susan George) and Jed’s ( Tomas Milan) wild, deranged marriage, as they rob, kill, argue, and nearly tear each other’s heads off. I think Susan George did a great job as Sonny. She’s emotional, violent, loud, but still maintains a love for her out of control husband. ( Even though he abuses her, nearly rapes her, and regrets marrying her). She is a relative of the gravedigger and she dresses like a boy. She desires to be an outlaw. The language is offensive and cruel, especially when jed opens his mouth. Jed is a very opiniated individual, and tends to ramble on about wealth inequality, women’s role’s in society, spaghetti, and milk. He is somewhat insecure, lonely, unkept outlaw who lives by no rules whatsoever. As the story goes on, you can see deep down he really does love Sonny, but rarely shows it. If you like fun, wild, and dangerous bandits making their way in the west by their own rules, this is for you. A proper release would be nice, but the copy I have is great.

I watched the Wild East disc last night. I was expecting more from it but I still enjoyed it a lot. I think it’s going keep improving the more I watch it. Quite an unusual role for Susan George.

1 Like

Yes sure you will get into more on repeat viewings.

Watched the Wild East disc again. It has its flaws but it would be worthy of a place in the alternative top 20. 4/5 stars

Have so far been avoiding this one, but gave it a shot tonight. I agree with those who have said this is a hard film to watch, needed a break after one hour. Only thing I liked about it was the ending, and of course the score.

Just re viewed this one again via the fandub of The Wild Side dvd. An easy view for me this one, as such a great cast. And a rare thing for me the film does make me laugh with the star on super crude mode, and the film does put swearing on the Spaghetti map so to speak. Top notch viewing for this man.

Not sure why people find it difficult to watch. I guess it all comes down to personal taste. I like this one a lot myself.

Holy crap! I’ve been so curious to see how dubbing was done during the 1960’s but couldn’t find any sort of footage before. Thank you so much for sharing this!

AGH THANK YOU! THIS MEANS SO MUCH TO ME! I just bought this documentary and I’m so excited to enjoy more of the behind the scenes footage!

Sonny & Jed.

I watched this last night, expecting the worst…but, was pleasantly surprised. The pairing of Tomas Milian and Susan George was particularly effective, and the Morricone score was passable.

It was also nice to see the ever-reliable Telly Savalas, as the baddie. One of his side-kicks, I noticed, was American actor, Gene Collins, who had previously starred as ‘Babra’, alongside Telly Savalas, in the Clint Eastwood WW2 actioner, ‘Kelly’s Heroes’.
In fact, Gene Collins starred - as most members will know - in quite a few notable ‘Spags’, including ‘Django Kill’; ‘The Ugly Ones’; ‘Pancho Villa’; and ‘Blood Money’.

Personally speaking, I thought that what was, essentially, a good ‘buddy-buddy’ movie, was marred by excessive bad language, and the constant humiliation of Sonny, by Jed. However, having said that, I wouldn’t mind betting that this kind of love/hate relationship is more common than we’d like to think, in everyday society. Bearing this in mind, the Sonny & Jed relationship is probably uncomfortably close to reality; albeit an ugly, abusive one.
That’s just my opinion. Other than that, I’d rate ‘Sonny & Jed’ as a reasonably competent re-telling of the ‘Bonnie & Clyde’ tale.
As a fan of Tomas Milian, I’d say that - foul-mouthed in this film, or not - I have always found him to be consistently innovative, entertaining, and never less than engaging on screen…

And, as for the lovely Susan George…always a light in the darkness…

I had no idea they created original gallopong sounds, i figures they had a library of horse sounds. Wish someone would throw some english subs on this beauty. I was reading in another thread that Franco Giacobini is supposed to be Jed’s dad. Did I miss something when i was watching the film?