Sonny & Jed / La banda J. & S. Cronaca criminale del Far West (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)

It must have been early in the process, probably after a pre-release showing
Canā€™t see otherwise how Corbucci managed to avoid a lawsuit by removing some part(s) of the dialogue
If the film had already been released theatrically, this would have been a hell of a job

If he took the risk of a lawsuit, he also took the risk that his film would be confiscated and all the copies destroyed. Some Italian directors (for instance Pasolini) were at constant odds with the censors. Corbucci repeatedly had trouble with the language of his movies (turpiloquio): just Google the terms ā€˜Corbucciā€™ and ā€˜turpiloquioā€™ and you get a series of results. If you Google ā€˜CompaƱerosā€™ and ā€˜turpiloquioā€™, the first link will bring you to the page of the book (Enrico Giacoveli - La Commedia allā€™Italiana I was referring to). Youā€™ll notice that the writer isnā€™t really a fan of the man, nor of his work: he calls him (and his work) all but refined

Thanks for the reference Scherp - I particularly liked this comment there:

ā€œHis western ā€˜Vamos a matar, companerosā€™, earned him a trial for obscenity, but another, ā€˜Djangoā€™, ended up in the Museum of Modern Art, New Yorkā€

I just looked this up in the Corbucci section of the first volume of ā€œWestern allā€™italianaā€. It says that Companeros was withheld for a short period prior to release due to Milianā€™s foul language in a few places, but was then released - presumably as it was although this is not made explicit in the text.

Iā€™ve been watching this one and I was totally grossed out by the scene where Tomas Milian sucks on the udder of a cow ew lol.

Well you canā€™t accuse Milian of not being dedicated to his craft, hehe! But did you like the film, it happens to be a favorite of mine, but I seem to be almost alone thinking itā€™s great.

Well, I had to stop the movie last night because I was tired but Iā€™ll pick up where I left off tonight and watch the rest. I like what Iā€™ve seen so far (I like anything with Milian in it really).

About time this had an English friendly dvd release.

For sure!

Unfortunately in the original Italian version there are several expressions in Roman dialect (!) that seriously damage the film.

I figured. Itā€™s one of the few spaghetti westerns I couldnā€™t follow in Italian. Normally the language used is quite classical (often even ā€˜Voiā€™ is used instead of ā€˜Leiā€™), but in this film I only had a vague of what was being said in several scenes.

Itā€™s a vague film anyway ā€¦

Yes, but if thereā€™s any swearing or dirty language, Iā€™d like to know exactly whatā€™s being said

Avoided this one for a long time, thought it would be time to give it a whirl, bad mistake. This was a misfire from (Corbucci ) for me. I didnā€™t like the way the story was written and also (Milianā€™s) character. He irritated the shit out of me with his performance and was annoying the way he mistreated (S. Georgeā€™s) character, like she was a piece of shit. And what the hell did she see in him after being treated like that and then she says I love you or something like that? ???. Teddy ( Kojak) Savallas was miscast IMO, he first appears with a long fur coat ( mustā€™ve have been left over wardrobe from The Great Silence :D) so I sayā€™sā€¦oh good, maybe thereā€™s some snow scenes in the film, nope no snow. >:(
All n all a disappointment for me. 3/10

Which dvd has the longest run time? Iā€™m thinking of getting the French one, or the Cult Cine one.

I assume both are equal.

Yes, I think Cult cinƩ used the French DVD (even though they said otherwise)
I think the French DVD has no English audio. I would have to check, but english audio is very rare on French DVD releases of spaghs.

Ok then. Cheer guys, ;), Iā€™ve only seen a crap transfer which was very dark, but these will be revelations for me.

Actually I never heard of any cut version of that film.

I asked because the running time according to this database is 97 mins, yet the French DVD says 90 mins. But there has been incidents where I have bought DVDs that pretty much rounded up the running time, rather than put the proper one eg: 88 mins was changed to 90 mins on some dvd boxes.

The runtime is most likely 93 or 94 min, cause it is a Pal DVD.

:stuck_out_tongue: Whoops, I forgot that, the whole NSTC/Pal difference. My mistake.