Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead / Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

This is up there with The Phantom Menace as one of the few true masterpieces in cinema.

2 Likes

I love this one!

Iā€™d say this is easily the best Variā€™s effort. It is basically made out of two episodes, the first one taking place in a hut, the other on a way across a desert. Well the former one is brilliant and builds-up great amount of tension while the latter one is rather boring with incredibly ugly looking locations. What a let-down! I often ask myself why would they shoot in an ugly sand pit when they could use some good looking locations without sand (rocks, meadows, mountains, forestsā€¦). Italy has many beautiful places. I know that in this particular case the story requires something like that, a guide who would lead them across a desert. But come on you could set this up lil differently (leading bad guys through some pass known only to the hero) and use nice locations.

Kinskis clothes and the redhead singing Jingle Bells is another downer

It already did.

1 Like

Love this movie. Slowburner low on action, high on tension. Female trio are very attractive, particularly one who falls into quicksand. Kinski does great performance and no complain about rest of cast either. Score is fine too.

Pity BR does not have english subs so stick with koch dvd.

1 Like

The Koch Blu has English audio

Yes but no english subs for italian audio. Even as it`s cheap better PQ only not reason enough for upgrading.

Sameā€¦ top 20 material for me all day.

1 Like

Iā€™m still yet to find a film better than it.

1 Like

:rofl:

^ Nice to see that youā€™ve finally come around on this wonderful film, Deanā€¦ and aroundā€¦and aroundā€¦ and around. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hopefully Stanton will accept my next top 20, which will position this film in all 20 spots.

One cannot come around on this film enough. It is infinitely perpetual.

I have this as my alarm. It has actually replaced coffee to get me started every morning. Pure euphoria.

3 Likes

I think about it ā€¦

Here we have the greatest film ever made in HD, with Portuguese audio ā€¦ a masterpiece in any language!

1 Like

Criterion now have some stiff competition for when they release their deluxe, limited, definitive, collectorā€™s 3D 4K set of this.
I expect to be contacted by them to provide a commentary, and video essay, and bookletā€¦ and artwork.

6 Likes

Itā€™s not officially Christmas until this woman sings Jingle Bells. Itā€™s even more festive than Hans Gruber falling from Nakatomi Plaza.

Happy holidays, amigos. May this perfect film see us through 2023.

3 Likes

:joy: Well said! :rofl:

1 Like

@Carlos has upgraded this movieā€™s page in the SWDb to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format .
Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Hereā€™s one for @Dean to vote on! :wink:

New poll added at the top of the page.

3 Likes