Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead / Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

I am no SW expert, yet, and saw it on YouTube today in a good copy, but found it a bit slow and somewhat boring. No catchy music either. The acting seemed OK. Maybe it would feel different in a possible future look at this movie, even if I doubt it now.

1 Like

Well, good for you. Your review seems to me a bit overpraising the whole thing, as if you are seeing in it more than it actually is there, on the other hand, maybe Iā€™m the one to blame for being blind. But, anyway, for me it is just slightly above average spagh.

Nice words, but I donā€™t think they belong to this movie.

Also, I wasnā€™t very impressed how they handled Kinskiā€™s death. I understand, he was pretty much deranged by that time, but for such a clever bastard it seemed to me quite idiotic to just run right into the firezone.

I cannot imagine a world where Iā€™m unable to view this masterpiece on repeat 24/7.

1 Like

Ok, so hereā€™s my whole problem with the final gunfight: John Webb hides his gun to prevent it would be taken from him, later he escapes Hogan and retrieves the gun. Great. But what he does subsequently? He shouts back at Hogan that he has a gun now. He would do better to say nothing and just wait for Hogan to show up and to his surprise perforate his belly with lead. Wouldnā€™t that make more sense?
But Iā€™m probably nitpickingā€¦

Only if you want to torture me.

1 Like

Youā€™re not blind, youā€™re just not tuned in to this thing. Some movies will strike a chord with you, some wonā€™t. And if it doesnā€™t speak to you, it doesnā€™t mean itā€™s inherently bad and someone else wonā€™t find it enjoyable in some way. Also, itā€™s not a review, itā€™s just a description of how I feel about the film and why I enjoy watching it. I mean, sure, we can all attire ourselves in elegant tuxedos, sit down and talk about movies in a judgmental tone, but I prefer approaching the whole matter from a nerdy perspective and the reason why we all enjoy watching different movies is simply because weā€™re all different and we all look for different things in cinema, we all have different sensibilities. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder: Iā€™m not saying there are no objective aesthetic standards, but ultimately, we all discuss why we appreciate different things for different reasons. Thatā€™s it.

At the end of the day, itā€™s just entertainment. Itā€™s not some empirically verifiable phenomenon which can be assessed in some accurate, quasi-scientific manner, itā€™s not some matter-of-fact thingy. Being an intellectual doesnā€™t necessarily make you more qualified to critique movies, it may give some additional tools to dissect and analyze them, but at the end of the day, theyā€™re just movies. I donā€™t give a shit about the industry all that much, I donā€™t give a crap about all the glitz and fake glamour surrounding big events and Iā€™d rather consort with film nerds who do what they do because they love doing it. Everything else is just shit.

Well, other people have basically stated pretty much the same thing, so they seem quite relevant to the discussion at hand. Iā€™m just trying to convey the vibes I get from watching the movie, thatā€™s the whole fun. And Iā€™m not trying to come across as some sort of smart-ass trying to impress somebody with my mind-blowingly superior intellect, Jerry, eww, hand me my glass of port. Iā€™m just trying to explain why I feel about the movie the way I feel and itā€™s not an easy thing to do, itā€™s not so easy to break down an emotional response, particularly when it comes to explaining oneā€™s reaction to a piece of art or whatever.

Well, that would be a dickish move, wouldnā€™t it. And heā€™s supposed to be a good, honorable guy. :policeman:

Just to illustrate my point perhaps more clearly: some time ago, I watched Blade Runner with a roommate of mine. He thought it was shit and I loved it more than ever before. Does him disliking Blade Runner prove anything? No. Has my appreciation for the movie subsided in some way, shape or form? No, quite on the contrary, I honored my roommateā€™s opinion, but I have also grown to love the film even more. As far as I know, scherp likewise doesnā€™t think much of it and he is someone whose opinion I respect. It simply boils down to the fact that we all just happen to look for and like different things in flicks.

Also, by hypnagogic I mean working on a hauntological level in the sense hypnagogic pop works on a hauntological level, so itā€™s not just me pulling words out of my ass, I actually meant something concrete.

Which basically means the same.

No, it doesnā€™t, it just means youā€™re not that responsive to the film. Blindness is a too strong a word to use in this context, I suppose you may say that youā€™re partially blind to the filmā€™s general appeal (from what I gather, you still like the film to some degree), but thatā€™s such an odd thing to say, since watching a movie or to be more accurate, experiencing and enjoying a flick isnā€™t something empirically verifiable, itā€™s not like a physical ability such as oneā€™s sight. One may comprehend filmā€™s plot, but be completely unresponsive to it. Itā€™s not some binary situation in which you either like or dislike a motion picture and I tend to like certain components of a work and dislike others. Itā€™s also not about some mental, cognitive capacity per se, since there is a multitude of elements factoring into the way I perceive a movie that are completely unrelated to my ability to comprehend and appreciate a film at hand. Sometimes I simply may not be in the right state of mind to watch a film and be completely unresponsive to it, but it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m blind to itā€¦ it just means I donā€™t like it, it just doesnā€™t tickle me, it just doesnā€™t entertain me at that very point in time. Maybe thatā€™s just my semantic pedantry, I donā€™t know

The first time I watched Once Upon A Time in America, I didnā€™t like it. Now itā€™s one of my favorites. Was I blind the first time I watched it and did my act of re-watching the film remedy this condition?

I do not appreciate superhero movies all that much and I donā€™t care about Marvel stuff to be quite honest. Am I blind to those filmsā€™ appeal or am I merely unresponsive to them? When I was a young kid, I used to dislike spinach, now I like it for the most part. Was my gustatory perception impaired at the time or has my taste simply evolved and changed?

I know itā€™s a subtle difference, but itā€™s there. I suppose what Iā€™m driving at is that itā€™s odd to apply empirical, physical capacities or criteria such as the faculty of sight with regard to oneā€™s preference and taste, it just doesnā€™t make much sense in my book. Itā€™s not about proving anything or demonstrating oneā€™s cognitive capabilities of cherishing art, itā€™s just about enjoying shit. It is ultimately rather difficult to understand other peopleā€™s opinions or penchants with regard to art or entertainment at large and all we can do is discuss why we enjoy different things for different reasons. Using words such as ā€˜blindā€™ seems to denote some sort of cognitive deficiency as opposed to personal preference and I just find it confusing.

I know I can sound a little opaque sometimes, but thatā€™s just me being me, thatā€™s not intentional on my part and Iā€™m merely trying to convey as much meaning in my statements as possible, but communicating oneā€™s perception of art is just a very difficult thing to do. At least for me.

2 Likes

This is all hilarious ā€¦ if it were a SW, thereā€™d be a lot less talk, just one of you with a bullet between the eyes :rofl:

2 Likes

No, in the back ā€¦

Yes, totally. :grin:

Absolutely blind, sir.

Spinach blindness. Quite common thing. Weā€™ve all been through this.

You tuned into spinach.

2 Likes

You have missed my point again, eh. I did not tune in to spinach. I turned into spinach. I am spinach. :expressionless:

You became one with the spinach.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t call it Eraserhead or Inland Empire but the film has a very dreamlike tone and a couple of strange moments like the water scene. Itā€™s not so much the fact they drink the water just the way they drink it, itā€™s very weird and sort of inhuman the way itā€™s acted. I think this element works really well though because it gives off a very insomniac feel which helps me as the viewer feel the same mentally as the characters likely do.

2 Likes

I barely remember that scene, but if it is in your kink department, then by all meansā€¦

I wouldnā€™t go that far :laughing:

Just watched for the first time, hoping for an underrated classic. I thought the music was great (in fact Iā€™d buy the soundtrack if I found it) and Sandy was lovely. Kinski was his usual intense self and made the most of his character.

Otherwise, I was disappointed by the relative lack of forward momentum and plot. First thereā€™s a lot of waiting around at the way stationā€¦then thereā€™s a lot of walking around in the gravel pit. The music occasionally makes an interesting scene out of a boring one (like when Kinski goes to the upstairs bedroom toā€¦take a nap?) but it wasnā€™t enough to save the movie for me.

Doesnā€™t make my alternative 20, let alone my top 20. Maybe Iā€™ll try watching it again sometime if it ever gets a high def release.

I liked the English title, nothing else. I gave it a 4 out of 10 after watching it at Youtube some months ago.