Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead / Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

(JONAH HEX) #1

A.K.A. TO KILL A JACKAL-Found an old vhs copy of this one.very boring imo half of the movie takes place in a waystation where nothing happens,the other half is comprised of riding thru the desert where very little happens.Kinski is the lead and it still stinks :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Prega_il_morto_e_ammazza_il_vivo

(ENNIOO) #2

I AGREE THIS IS ANOTHER DUD, VERY BORING TO SAY THE LEAST, THEY MUST HAVE HAD MONEY TO BURN THE ITALIANS AT THE TIME TO MAKE THIS DROSS!!!

(Stanton) #3

I like this movie. According to the 2 films I have seen from Vari, he had some talent as director and obviously the ability to make something out of nothing, because Pray for the living… was made with a very small budget. The 2nd half cries for wide desert landscapes, but Vari had only a gravel pit.
Also one of Kinski’s better contributions to the genre, and one of the few where he plays a lead.

No great SW, but entertaining nevertheless.

Another SW from him is The Last Killer, and it’s even better.

(Bluntwolf) #4

I agree to you guys. Even Kinski can’t save the day !!!

(Silvanito) #5

First time I saw the film I didn’t like it very much, but the second time I thought it was quite ok after all :slight_smile:
It’s a little slow, especially in the beginning, but at least there are some beautiful women to rest you’re eyes on :wink:
The Koch dvd surprisingly has english audio :wink:

(django the bastard) #6

i think kinski is great in this one. probably just being himself without any script

(korano) #7

I figured i’d find one of the oldest posts in this section and bring it back.I love this movie. It has a very rel;axing feel to it. It is suspenseful and well made.

(Stanton) #8

Yeah, well made and underrated

(korano) #9

It may sound like a stupid question but what iswith gravel pits? Are they imported sand or what? I actually like the gravel pits.

(Stanton) #10

No, it’s a place where companys dig great holes in the ground to get gravel or sand. After the pit is exploited it automatically floods with water, and you get a sea which is also visible in many SWs as a real sea substitute.

A gravel- or sand pit is the poorest looking location I have ever seen. It indicates an ultra cheap production.

AFoD was compared to most of the italian shot SWs an expensive film.

(Phil H) #11

Exactly. Just think old Dr Who TV shows. The two shooting options were in the studio with cardboard sets or on location in a quarry (gravel pit) :slight_smile: Tells you everything you need to know about a production’s budget. However, as has been proved on many occasions, budget restrictions don’t necessarily have to mean a bad film. If you see a crap film shot in a gravel pit the one thing you can be sure of is it certainly ain’t the fault of the gravel pit.

(Goodfella) #12

I blame the pit. ;D

(scherpschutter) #13

Right, the pits

(Bill san Antonio) #14

[quote=“stanton, post:10, topic:460”]A gravel- or sand pit is the poorest looking location I have ever seen. It indicates an ultra cheap production.[/quote]Haha, reminds me of Fidani films where the guys keep rolling down the sand pit cliffs. There’s even one Finnish western that’s almost completely shot in the sand pit.

(ION BRITTON) #15

I really liked this one, a suspensful sw that is based more on the strong solid plot with great psychedelic score in the desert trip. no less than 4/5

(korano) #16

Yeah! Another one who likes it! Strong plot indeed. Almst has a dream like quality. I guess that depends on what mood your in. This film is criiminally underrated.

(ION BRITTON) #17

Actually agreed, if you are expecting an action packed sw full of gunfights and fistfights you better leave this one aside for awhile.

(korano) #18

Wrote a review for this a while back but rewritten recently almost from scratch.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Shoot_the_Living%2C_Pray_for_the_Dead_Review

(Dillinger) #19

I think here we got one of Kinski’s best SW-performances. He shows the wide range of his abilities as an actor. I like the movie very much.
It’s not the big asskickin’ western, no duster, it’s more a kind of chamber-western. But I like that.

(ENNIOO) #20

Kinski and those crazy eyes !