Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead / Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

[quote=“Jimbo (The Lizard King), post:60, topic:460”]Is there a SW with as widely diverse opinions as this one?

I’ve yet to see this (and since the Kotch is OOP it’ll now be near impossible) but there were times I did want to seek it out then I would always come across a review that turns me off it.

How does this compare to And God Said to Cain? I found AGSTC to be a total bore. Nothing but Kinski skulking around a deserted town, shooting someone from a hiding place, then more skulking, then shooting someone else from his hiding place, then more skulking…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[/quote]

Hard to say. You have to check it. At least there are people who really like it.

Generally opinions are so diverse that it is pretty tricky to say if you like this one you also must like that one.

And i think there are films which divide people more than Shoot the Living

[quote=“Jimbo (The Lizard King), post:60, topic:460”]Is there a SW with as widely diverse opinions as this one?

I’ve yet to see this (and since the Kotch is OOP it’ll now be near impossible) but there were times I did want to seek it out then I would always come across a review that turns me off it.

How does this compare to And God Said to Cain? I found AGSTC to be a total bore. Nothing but Kinski skulking around a deserted town, shooting someone from a hiding place, then more skulking, then shooting someone else from his hiding place, then more skulking…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[/quote]

The difference between “And God Said” and this one is pretty damn obvious. The first one, as generic as the story is, has actual atmosphere, mood, the direction gives the movie an identity of it’s own. “Shoot the living” builds no atmosphere whatsoever, the direction is just dull and plain looking. Many SW had minimum story, but what could make the difference between one and another was the direction. “And god said” was directed by Antonio Margheriti, who had experience working as a horror director, so it’s no wonder why the movie has a suspense/horror vibe. “Shoot the living” looks like a tv movie most of the time.

I totally disagree. Vari does here a lot with a mini budget.
Cain is for me also the better film, but as a SW director I easily prefer Vari to Margheriti.

Wow, Giuseppe Vari is fast becoming one of my favorite SW director, this is fantastic! Top 20 material right there! I loved the mystery, the inventive direction and camerawork, the little power games, the characters interactions, the characters themselves (some are pretty memorable : Hogan, Webb and Eleanor), the offbeat music, the brutal and quick moments of nastiness. Props to the writer too since he’s responsible for a lot of that (and some of the dialog is pretty well-written too). Dan Hogan has got to be one of the best SW villain there is and Kinski gives his second (or maybe third) best performance in the land of the spaghetti. The first part is simply masterful, feels very claustrophobic and when it starts heating up and the people are drunk, acting erratic and impatient it’s fascinating. The voyage is also great and the water discovery scene is perfect. There’s also plenty of little moments that stick with you, exciting stuff. My only little problem is that just like many film of its kind, it shoehorns a vengeance aspect towards the end (not needed).

And once again, the direction is really damn good. No joke, Vari makes small miracles with almost nothing. Enormous respect for the guy!

i read on shobary site that this has only 9 kills, so it must had sooooo much less shooting something like the 'django the last killer’
i don’t like sw with soo much less kills…

[quote=“sartana1968, post:65, topic:460”]i read on shobary site that this has only 9 kills, so it must had sooooo much less shooting something like the 'django the last killer’
i don’t like sw with soo much less kills…[/quote]
So don’t even try this. :wink:
I love this but I don’t need shootouts to be entertained and I can understand why so many fans don’t like this.
It’s simply different. Actually it’s even on my Top 10.

[quote=“I love you M.E. Kay, post:64, topic:460”]Wow, Giuseppe Vari is fast becoming one of my favorite SW director, this is fantastic! Top 20 material right there! I loved the mystery, the inventive direction and camerawork, the little power games, the characters interactions, the characters themselves (some are pretty memorable : Hogan, Webb and Eleanor), the offbeat music, the brutal and quick moments of nastiness. Props to the writer too since he’s responsible for a lot of that (and some of the dialog is pretty well-written too). Dan Hogan has got to be one of the best SW villain there is and Kinski gives his second (or maybe third) best performance in the land of the spaghetti. The first part is simply masterful, feels very claustrophobic and when it starts heating up and the people are drunk, acting erratic and impatient it’s fascinating. The voyage is also great and the water discovery scene is perfect. There’s also plenty of little moments that stick with you, exciting stuff. My only little problem is that just like many film of its kind, it shoehorns a vengeance aspect towards the end (not needed).

And once again, the direction is really damn good. No joke, Vari makes small miracles with almost nothing. Enormous respect for the guy![/quote]
Glad to hear that I love you M.E. Kay. I thought I’m the only one except for Korano and Ion Britton who loves it. :stuck_out_tongue:

i wll never see this, boreeee

;D

hm, interesting, instead of “ooooooo”, you suddenly prefer “eeeeeeee”

LOL :smiley:

maybe it expresses various approaches towards boredom in movies

one e it’s only bore, many eeeeeeeeeee was ultra bore!!! :wink:

And after these there are the really boooooooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeeeeng ones. And than the bottom with the double booooooooooooreeeeeeeeeees

;D

Just watched it.
Great script, nice camerawork, cool soundtrack, strange atmosphere and Kinski.
I think I like it. :slight_smile:

Another nice suprise.

This movie is all about tense atmosphere for witch credits goes to strong directing and fantastic soundtrack. Plot is simple, sets very sparse, but music and overall use of the sounds in the movie are excellent.
I’ve seen couple of slow paced low budget SWs and this one is maybe the first that I really liked, for which slow pace really works. This could be one of the finest examples how to make good small budget movie.

just seen this for the 1st time yesterday and loved it. Just the sort of mean spirited stuff i like. Soundtrack was quirky too, 4/5 from me.

Out of the US dvd’s, what’s the best quality?

The only thing in this movie that makes the movie interesting is Klaus Kinsiki.

I’d have to see this again, but I seem to remember it was so bad that even Kinski couldn’t save it. The thing with him is he made over 200 movies, and outside of a dozen or so (5 of Herzog’s, 1/2 dozen or so Spaghetti’s) they’re generally abysmal (as everyone probably knows). And if they’re not, it’s usually a five minute part, like “Dr. Zhivago.” Yet, if he’s in something, I’ll check it out to see him, so go figure…

Plus his tantrum on the set of “Fitzcarraldo” from “My Best Fiend” is something else…