Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead / Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

I just watched this one on the Koch-media label and I must agree with Korano, its a great film.
Its very suspenseful all the way, has good character development and great cinematography plus a great final.
I delayed the purchase of this disc for a long time because of the bad reviews this film has had, but that was a big mistake.
Klaus Kinski has never been better than he is in this film not even in the great silence.
Highly recommended.

4 stars from me.

I think I have to put this one on my to-watch-list.

I also love it and haven’t seen it for tooooooo long.

I recommend you do this very soon Dillinger as I just rewatched it also and it’s still a masterpiece. But with this viewing comes with a story.

Story Time:
Of course we all know I love this film like my own brother. But Ever since I received my Koch Media copy from Reverend Danite (thanks btw. My old print was a complete bowl of diareah) I have had trouble finishing or getting into the movie. This happened at least 3 times so I was getting worried. I thought do I still like this film? I knew it was a mood film of some sort but it just wasn’t ticking. I was getting none of that magical feel I get whe ever I watch this western. So I decided to give it another try this morning. I was getting really worried at first and thought. NOOOOO! But after about 25 minutes in, something just clicked and I thought YESSSSSSSS! It was working! I was getting the magical feeling and sat through it easily and at the edge of my seat. And I’m pleased to say, I missed you my love. ::slight_smile: :-[ :-* :wink:

Moral of the story, watch this film only when you are in the mood.

Here endeth the lesson.

After 25 minutes? Is your love for this movie an illusion? Maybe you fell asleep after 20 minutes and the whole experience was a dream! Maybe this was the best sleep of your life and so the love grew strong!!!

Wake up, dear korano! You have to rewatch it once more! And again and again! Only after 30 or 40 sittings aou can really tell wether the love is true or not!

It’s like in real life! You can only say it is true love, when it works in eveyday life!

But I’m conficent and sure that a daily dose of “Shoot the living…” will be the right thing!

Good luck!

Moral of the story, watch this film only with enough coffee or Red Bull nearby.

Here endeth the lesson.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:44, topic:460”]After 25 minutes? Is your love for this movie an illusion? Maybe you fell asleep after 20 minutes and the whole experience was a dream! Maybe this was the best sleep of your life and so the love grew strong!!!

Wake up, dear korano! You have to rewatch it once more! And again and again! Only after 30 or 40 sittings aou can really tell wether the love is true or not!

It’s like in real life! You can only say it is true love, when it works in eveyday life!

But I’m conficent and sure that a daily dose of “Shoot the living…” will be the right thing!

Good luck![/quote]Woow! That might be a bit much. Especially for a mood film.

[quote=“korano, post:43, topic:460”]I recommend you do this very soon Dillinger as I just rewatched it also and it’s still a masterpiece. But with this viewing comes with a story.

Story Time:
Of course we all know I love this film like my own brother. But Ever since I received my Koch Media copy from Reverend Danite (thanks btw. My old print was a complete bowl of diareah) I have had trouble finishing or getting into the movie. This happened at least 3 times so I was getting worried. I thought do I still like this film? I knew it was a mood film of some sort but it just wasn’t ticking. I was getting none of that magical feel I get whe ever I watch this western. So I decided to give it another try this morning. I was getting really worried at first and thought. NOOOOO! But after about 25 minutes in, something just clicked and I thought YESSSSSSSS! It was working! I was getting the magical feeling and sat through it easily and at the edge of my seat. And I’m pleased to say, I missed you my love. ::slight_smile: :-[ :-* :wink:

Moral of the story, watch this film only when you are in the mood.

Here endeth the lesson.[/quote]

IMO a wrong tactic that may ruin the appreciation you have for certain films. I, for one, hadn’t watched For a few dollars more for almost two years. I just wasn’t in the mood for it. However last January the time had finally come and i watched it twice in a row and you know what, i enjoyed it from the first until the last second both times.
Don’t know, i just don’t ‘‘push’’ myself watching any film just because it is supposed to be among my favourites or because it ‘‘demands’’ a second viewing to be appreciated, i simply watch whatever i think that suits the mood i’m in each time.

Maybe you’re right… but it IS an option :wink:

Precisely! He actually seems to been some kind of evaded from psyco hospital.
Despite the slow-motion action, I like the movie.

Got tomgive this one another viewing. Listening to the score now and love it!

Spaghetti Monkey you are right on with this comment. My thought after watching it was like PETRIFIED FOREST as a western.

I thought this film was wonderful. In fact I’m surprised at so many ‘slow paced’ comments. I didn’t find it slow paced at all. It was a very effective suspense film and I never knew what was going to happen next or when the next thing would happen.

And, dare I say it about a movie with starring Kinski, somewhat subtle.

For ‘slow paced’ I usually think of a western that’s all build up with a big, long action finale. This film was not like that at all. Action occured throughout the entire movie rather than all of it spewing forth at the ending.

For those who haven’t seen it, if you are a fan of The Bounty Killer I think you would enjoy this film. Color me impressed.

PS. Korano, I can see why you might not get as much of a buzz from this one on the 2nd or 3rd viewing. What makes the film work so well is not knowing what will happen next and once you know all the twists and turns the tension is significantly lessened. I’d certainly like to see it again, but I’d personally wait a few years until I’d forgotten some of the details.

For me, it’s not so much the suspense of the film (though very good), but the atmosphere. Simply beyond explanation in it’s simplicity and wonder. No small thanks to Migliardi’s cryptic score.

Glad to see another fan of this one Mortimer. I can see what you mean about the first view being the best because of the suspense of what will happen next, but i still think it holds up to repeat viewings also (might go watch it right now).

Unusually quiet film that is divided into two parts.
Part of playing in a stagecoach way station. The other part in a desert. The desert is indeed a Gravel Pit.
I believe, however qualitatively the film has two parts. The first part is very interesting. Full of tension, danger is in the air.
The second part is a bit boring towards the right.

I think Django - The last killer and a Hole in the forehead are better movies from Vari.

Leave it to a n00b to resurrect a long-dead topic. ::slight_smile:

Someone on the IMDb asked a pertinent question, and I wondered if maybe you guys could shed some light. The film cuts rather abruptly from the way station setting to a shot of the survivors crossing the desert, but in doing so it not only dismisses the trio of corpses in the barn, but it also utterly neglects to explain what happened to the upper class husband character. He is (apparently) spared by Kinski in the last moments before the abrupt cut I mention above, but he’s not among the group of travellers. Any thoughts? Is this just a mistake in continuity, or were shots lost/discarded?

I was wondering about that too when I watched it last. There really seems to be something missing.

But this version of the film is assumed to be uncut.

Anica data indicate a theatrical running time of 101m 45s. Run time of the Italian DVD is 90’30", equivalent to about 94’15’’ at 24fps.

Great film. Good combination of lingering pacing, good directing and snazzy photography. Mario Migliardi’s weird soundtrack with hissing sounds, laughs and moody music adds some almost surreal touch to film. Kinski’s at his best, possibly his best sw role.

Not for all tastes though since some might find the slow pacing too boring.

I already voted 3 in poll but if I could change the vote I’d go for 4/5 now.

Watched this the other day and almost fell asleep. No tension or suspense whatsoever, dry and generic direction. Not even Kinski makes this one remotely interesting.

Is there a SW with as widely diverse opinions as this one?

I’ve yet to see this (and since the Kotch is OOP it’ll now be near impossible) but there were times I did want to seek it out then I would always come across a review that turns me off it.

How does this compare to And God Said to Cain? I found AGSTC to be a total bore. Nothing but Kinski skulking around a deserted town, shooting someone from a hiding place, then more skulking, then shooting someone else from his hiding place, then more skulking…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz