Shoot, Gringo … Shoot! / The Longest Hunt / Spara, gringo, spara (Bruno Corbucci, 1968)

Good, thanks.

oh, and the Koch DVD is a total beauty

Abit off topic and late too, but no…i don’t have the advantage or excuse of youth…just never heard of it! Mind you, though i do know about Skippy and Lassie…never seen them either!

You might want to see if Encore westerns will be showcasing a spaghetti western thanksgiving week like they did last year and the year before.
I taped my version off of them. Sadly it is in fullscreen but the quality of the film shines through. A good film always does regardless of how you watch it.

Two questions. First, would they post their shows so early? Second, whatwere they showing last year?

I seem to recall the movies being played throughout the day.
I remember them showing NAVAJO JOE and this one.
There was some others but I don’t recall.

Is Folco Lulli related to Piero Lulli?

Just finished watching this movie and i liked it. Not a dull moment and some nice acting. I give this a 7/10

I would give it a seven or so as well.

I liked this one as well. It is not without it’s flaws. I don’t even known what Keenan Wynn’s character is even doing in this (but hey,it’s a Corbucci). He seemed a bit out of place. I also thought the end shootout was poorly done with tho many WAY over the top deaths. With that aside I liked the man characters & it has some great imagery. I thought the soundtrack was good & fit well. What a great job Kotch did with this one. It looked better than MGM’s FOD & FAFDM. I enjoyed the cat & mouse aspect. Recommended viewing. 6.5 Sheriff’s badges for me.

I bet you did. :o

Freudian slip of the tongue ?

I thought the end shoot out was great. Only and Idiot wouldn’t!

Sorry but I’m in a bad mood today because of a nasty cold so don’t be surprised if I yell at you.

Database comment for this recommended SW:

Spara, gringo, spara is told from Stark’s point of view, but it is Fidel and his search for identity, in conflict with his different father figures, which keeps the story going. The biological father he never knew, the detested stepfather he knows too well, and his chosen ersatz fathers Doneghan and later Stark. Compared to the classic US western, in which such an inner struggle would mostly be related to the social values of the pioneer’s society, the cynical SW world with its corrupt society offers no reference point, and the sheriffs, as representatives of an unjust law, are killed with casual nonchalance. Bruno Corbucci, the little brother of Sergio, who is mainly known for comedies, shows with this remarkable genre contribution that he was also capable of becoming a competent director of action films.

2 Likes

I always think i’m going to like this more every time I watch it but it always ends up being an average movie for me. One of the best soundtracks though… I love the track with the cowbell.

Have to agree this one has a very nice score.

I hadn’t seen this for maybe 5 years, and was looking forward to a revisit as I’d remembered it fondly. However this time around I got a bit tired of the forever swapping upper-hand bit between the two main characters (who were individually very good). The final shoot-out wasn’t as good as I’d remembered either - but was a stuntman’s paradise for showing off.
I agree tho’ that this is very ‘spaghetti’ in style and feel (which is probably why liked it more first time around, when I didn’t find it so predictable), but I still loved the duck - nearly as much as the Major did - all the same.
Colouful characters at every turn - but overall it’s a poorly put together episodic structure that lacks logic a bit too much to hold them together.
It was pleasing to watch a Japanese spo copy though, although my samshit player refused to play the last 20mins and I had to stick it on a pc to see the end >:( - that fucker’s gonna have to go soon.
I gave it 3 stars this time - I might well have been more genorous first time around (had I voted).

I just saw, that only very few have already voted, which may indicate that it is not a very well known film.

Hey it’s a Corbucci. :wink:

[quote=“Stanton, post:58, topic:912”]I just saw, that only very few have already voted, which may indicate that it is not a very well known film.

Hey it’s a Corbucci. ;)[/quote]I have to re-watch it before rating, don’t remember too much about it.

I’m not sure if I ever saw it. I’ll have to do some detective work.