Shoot, Gringo … Shoot! / The Longest Hunt / Spara, gringo, spara (Bruno Corbucci, 1968)

I just watched this film on the Koch-media label.
It runs 95 min, is in 2.35:1 ratio, has Italian and german sound plus english subtitles.

This is an average SW.
A mexican land owner pays our hero to find and bring back his runaway son, which turns out to be easier said than done.
And that’s about it, no deep plot here just straightforward entertainment.

For more info visit:
Database link: Spara, Gringo, spara - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Shoot Gringo Shoot your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

and that’s what I want in a SW…straightforward entertainment. I don’t care about an “award-winning performance” when I watch a SW; I want characters with style and some serious gunplay. To me, “Spara, Gringo, Spara” is above average for the genre. I’ve never thought this film has gotten enough credit. Brian Kelly(wish he could have made more spags) has a lot of charisma and the plot is just good enough. My humble opinion. ;D

1 Like

I like this one too. Stylish film, which shows that the other Corbucci had also talent for action stuff. Unfortunately he voted mainly for comedies.

Maybe more the next days.

I watched it yesterday and agree with Dorado: An average movie. The story is pretty bad, as well as the music that rarely seems to fit. The film meanders along for quite a while with nothing much happening except for some cat and mouse stuff between Fidel and Stark. Luckily the actors portraying them (Kelly and Moroni) keep things interesting enough. Some side characters in the movie don’t work. The henchman Pik is only there for comedy purposes, but it doesn’t work. He is only annoying. The business with the major was all too obvious of course, so the ‘surprise’ ending wasn’t that much of a surprise. Some ok action in the finale tough. All in all, this movie never bored me. But it didn’t entertain me much either.

Just finished watching this. I thought it was pretty good - not amazing, but OK.
It was nice to see Keenan Wynn. Shame about the corny bar brawl though…

It’s on my wish list! How about Folco Lulli, I liked him on “Between God and Winchester” ?

I liked this one a lot

It’s on my next order with xploitedcinema…

Ahhh, xploited cinema. How I love thee…
That’s where I got mine.
And I really like the music here.
Brian Kelly is very good in this (Flipper’s “Dad” with a bullwhip!). I understand that a couple of years after this film was made he was in a cycle accident and was partially paralyzed. It ended his career as an actor. Too bad.

hope you enjoy it, it’s a very nice one. the DVD by koch is great

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:9, topic:912”]Ahhh, xploited cinema. How I love thee…
That’s where I got mine.
And I really like the music here.
Brian Kelly is very good in this (Flipper’s “Dad” with a bullwhip!). I understand that a couple of years after this film was made he was in a cycle accident and was partially paralyzed. It ended his career as an actor. Too bad.[/quote]

I really enjoyed this film (and the ost though many people don’t seem to like it!). It’s a shame to hear about the actor though…he was very good in this film. Was this his only SW? BTW…showing my “english” ignorance here but who is Flipper?

Flipper was the name of a TV show that many American kids of my generation grew up watching in the mid 1960’s. The “title character”, Flipper, was a dolphin that served as something of a pet to a couple of boys and their Dad. Brian Kelly played the Dad. He was a game warden (in the Florida Keys, I think). The TV series was adapated from a movie of the same name (if I remember correctly) in which Chuck Conners (Kill Them All And Come Back Alone) played the Dad. A real boy oriented show (no Mom!) that focused on outdoor and underwater adventure.
Yes, this was Brian Kelly’s only SW. He was really a likable actor but he did very few films of any kind.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:12, topic:912”]Flipper was the name of a TV show that many American kids of my generation grew up watching in the mid 1960’s. The “title character”, Flipper, was a dolphin that served as something of a pet to a couple of boys and their Dad. Brian Kelly played the Dad. He was a game warden (in the Florida Keys, I think). The TV series was adapated from a movie of the same name (if I remember correctly) in which Chuck Conners (Kill Them All And Come Back Alone) played the Dad. A real boy oriented show (no Mom!) that focused on outdoor and underwater adventure.
Yes, this was Brian Kelly’s only SW. He was really a likable actor but he did very few films of any kind.[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. Quite a leap from dolphins to a spaghetti!

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:12, topic:912”]Flipper was the name of a TV show that many American kids of my generation grew up watching in the mid 1960’s. The “title character”, Flipper, was a dolphin that served as something of a pet to a couple of boys and their Dad. Brian Kelly played the Dad. He was a game warden (in the Florida Keys, I think). The TV series was adapated from a movie of the same name (if I remember correctly) in which Chuck Conners (Kill Them All And Come Back Alone) played the Dad. A real boy oriented show (no Mom!) that focused on outdoor and underwater adventure.
Yes, this was Brian Kelly’s only SW. He was really a likable actor but he did very few films of any kind.[/quote]

“Flipper” was a very popular show in the UK too at the time. I remember it very fondly. In fact there was a whole bunch of those ‘animal and small boy with park ranger dad’ type shows at the time. Flipper was probably the biggest but I also remember one called “Gentle Ben” which featured a very large bear and Ron Howard’s brother Clint as the kid. Then of course there was the australian show, “Skippy” which was very popular here.

Watch this and you’ll never forget:

By the way: I looked a lot like the youngest son, the same freckles, the same way of wrinkling eyebrows and forehead

Haha, Flipper. I always hated that show. And Skippy too. And Lassie.

Do not blame your ignorance on being English. The show was very popular over here…as with Lassie, Skippy et al…I would think that nearly everyone over a certain age would have heard of it…in fact I am surprised to hear that someone hasn’t. You must have the advantage of youth on your side and anyway not having heard of Flipper is probably a good thing…I am totally with BL on this one…

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:15, topic:912”]Watch this and you’ll never forget:

By the way: I looked a lot like the youngest son, the same freckles, the same way of wrinkling eyebrows and forehead[/quote]

Nice. I hadn’t heard that song in a Looooooong time. What a flood of memories it recalled.
Hey, Scherps since you don’t have an avatar you outta use a photo of your youthful double!

@ Phil
I had not thought of Gentle Ben in years… used to love that show too.

Heehee. I waited until I got older to get bitter. Sounds like you and Tigero got started early! Have you kicked a puppy yet today?

Hehe, I stopped kicking puppies after I stopped watching those shows. Coincidence? I think not!