Seven Guns for the MacGregors / 7 pistole per i MacGregor (Franco Giraldi, 1966)

I really want to see this one. The Tartan on the poster alone sells it for me on curiosity alone. But it sounds great!
Do you know the reasons behind choosing the very Scottish name?

It’s about a family of Scots in the west. 7 MacGregor brothers and 4 oldies who ride into a fight playing the bagpipes! Only the oldies still have Scottish accents in the English dub of the film.

1 Like

Spanish, Italian and Argentinian actors dubbed by Americans attempting Scots accents !
Very enjoyable adventure romp - high spirited and great looking production value too.

My family is of Scottish descent. It sounds like the only Spag that I could get my Dad to watch!

Well he could maybe try the sequel too. 7 Women for the MacGregors

1 Like

I hope my slight Robert Woods bias isn’t affecting my opinion on this but I think this incredibly underrated. The set pieces in this are just awesome. The old folks defending horse thieves with a cannon, a huge barfight complete with some crazy acrobatics, a train heist, a huge Scottish vs Mexican fight and with a waterwheel knife fight as the cherry on top. Not to mention that its all accompanied by a pretty great Morricone score. The MacGregors themselves are all great, they riff off each other really well and the best moments of the film were when they were all together and fighting as brothers.

Are any of the sequels any good or are they just below-average cash-ins?

2 Likes

There is only one sequel, 7 Women for the MacGregors, and that is despite being Woodless pretty similar.

With a VPN into Spain, one can watch this (in Spanish) at RTVE

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new “SWDb 3.0” format .
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Share your thoughts on Seven Guns for the MacGregors via the new poll on the original post at the top of this thread. :arrow_up:

1 Like

Just popped in the new BluRay… hm… looks okay but the transfer is very soft, tons of filtering going on, not was pristine a transfer as Minnesota Clay for example. Better than nothing but not an eye opener

2 Likes

Just ordered mine for £18 with shipping, looking forward to it!

Not a huge fan of this flick. Review is in the works

I wonder why it’s so soft, when the RHV DVD release was a real stunner … one of the sharpest and cleanest looking releases I’d seen at that time.

The only scene I really recall is where they use their spurs to carve their way out of jail.

yeah, seven spurs for the macgyvers

So, stick with the DVD?

Don’t own it. I suspect it will still beat the DVD

Yeah agreed Admin, all the soft/lackluster blu-ray transfers that I have seen almost always still surpass their DVD counterparts (IMO).

1 Like

Anyone else experiencing sync problems with the English dub on the new Blu ray?

1 Like