Seven Guns for the MacGregors / 7 pistole per i MacGregor (Franco Giraldi, 1966)

(Bluntwolf) #1

This movie is very rarely talked about ! Has anyone seen it ? State your opinions !!!

(Tom B.) #2

I bought the recent DVD release and enjoyed watching it. Plenty of familiar faces and plenty of action. Even though it’s pretty light hearted there’s enough of a story and gunplay to keep your interest throughout. The nothern Spain locations are a change of pace also. Not a top tier SW but one you can watch many times without getting bored.

(Silvanito) #3

How is the sequel “7 women for MacGregors” ?

(ENNIOO) #4

I have it in my growing pile to watch.

I have heard it is even more comedy based.

(Silvanito) #5

Some of these light hearted spaghettis can be fun to watch I think, as long as it’s not too much crazy comedy like Hill/ Spencer stuff.

Have you seen the first one already?

They even have music by Morricone I believe.

(ENNIOO) #6

[quote=“Silvanito, post:5, topic:639”]Some of these light hearted spaghettis can be fun to watch I think, as long as it’s not too much crazy comedy like Hill/ Spencer stuff.

Have you seen the first one already?

They even have music by Morricone I believe.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with what you are saying about the light hearted spaghetti westerns, as if you are in the mood they can be quite fun.

The first one is in my pile to watch aswell, I will have to view them when I get some time.

Morricone like you say does the music to both films, and I have some tracks on a Morricone C.D, and I think the music is superb!

(R-T-C Tim) #7

I felt that they were enjoyable films, although the comedy does often seem a little forced.

The discs in the RHV boxset are very good, with more than acceptable English dub tracks (reviewed at my site).

(Chris_Casey) #8

I have a big soft spot for this movie as it was one of the first 5 or 6 Spaghetti Westerns I ever saw.
I think the comedy, the drama, and the action are fairly well mixed here and that Giraldi has made a more than decent adventure film.
Solid cast, too…with Woods, Sancho, etc.
The only thing I don’t care for in this movie is Morricone’s average score.

It ranks pretty high in my Top SW’s…but, I don’t expect it to be a favorite of most SW fans!

(Stanton) #9

Actually this is no comedy, but the scenes with the scottish clan and the 7 brothers thing are so absurd that it seems to be one.
In fact, although this film has a lighthearted feeling, it is also a petty violent western for early 66.

(Chris_Casey) #10

[quote=“stanton, post:9, topic:639”]Actually this is no comedy, but the scenes with the scottish clan and the 7 brothers thing are so absurd that it seems to be a one.
In fact, although this film has a lighthearted feeling, it is also a petty violent western for early 66.[/quote]

I agree with your assessment, stanton. I always think of this movie as a solid adventure film…with a few comedic elements. And, yes it is definitely a violent film for the time it was released.

(Bill san Antonio) #11

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:8, topic:639”]The only thing I don’t care for in this movie is Morricone’s average score.[/quote]I like the music. It’s not one of those Morrione scores you’d like to listen at your home too but it’s used very effectively in the film.

(ENNIOO) #12

Just viewed this one recently and thought was a solid western and very enjoyable!

And like what has already been mentioned quite violent.

(Squonkamatic) #13

One of my favorite early period/experimental year Spaghettis. I love how the movie switches gears from scene to scene, with rabble rousing Macgregors always getting a jump ahead of everybody else. Even when they seem doomed they have some scheme in the works, and I like how all the brothers are equals. The Macgregor’s ranch house is also one of my favorite recurring location structures from Italian genre cinema: it shows up in a bunch of other Spaghettis, a couple of war films, a horror movie and at least one polizieschi that I have seen. I’m also a big Georges Rigaud fan and while he doesn’t have all that much screen time this is one of my favorite examples of his work. The final showdown on that mill wheel is also one of the strangest from the genre and may have been the inspiration from a scene in a Paul Naschy werewolf movie where he fights a mummy on a turning mill wheel.

(Phil H) #14

A Robert Woods focus I’m working on currently has led me to seek out some of his films for the first time as well as revisit some old favourites. This film is one of the latter. I picked up the RHV release in Italy a couple of years ago and it makes entertaining viewing.

As others have said, a good mix of light and dark scenes with lots of good action scenes and a solid cast. I still flinched during the train scene where Fernando Sancho nearly loses his head. That was one hell of a close shave and a great example of the lack of health and safety on those old shoots.

(Starblack) #15

Woods tells an anecdote about filming a fistfight for this film that corroborates what you say. I’ll try to find the exact quote, but basically he was far from happy with the safety precautions - or lack of them.

(scherpschutter) #16

I think that’s what Phil says:

I also remember Clint talking (I guess it’s an extra to GBU) about it to Eli Wallach: he told him not to do anything dangerous. Still Eli was nearly beheaded in one scene with a train (after he has killed Mario Brega).

(Starblack) #17

Here’s the Woods quote I was talking about. He’s not certain this incident took place on the first MacGregors movie, but pretty sure. In any case (and without wishing to denigrate the work of stunt choreographers/performers in general), it illustrates what seems to have been a general laxity:

“I’ve always been a rough-and-tumble kind of guy. I liked fighting [laughs]… A guy cracked my rib once - might have been on MacGregors - so I broke his nose! [Laughs] He was supposed to choreograph all this stuff and, man, did me hit me.”

(Keep Your Head Down) #18

Having a hard time getting through this one…anyone big fans of this out there?

(ENNIOO) #19

Already a thread for this one:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,715.0.html

(tomas) #20

i’m not even a small fan of this