Seven Guns for the MacGregors / 7 pistole per i MacGregor (Franco Giraldi, 1966)

This movie is very rarely talked about ! Has anyone seen it ? State your opinions !!!

For more info visit:
Database page: Sette pistole per i MacGregor - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Seven Guns for the MacGregors your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

1 Like

I bought the recent DVD release and enjoyed watching it. Plenty of familiar faces and plenty of action. Even though it’s pretty light hearted there’s enough of a story and gunplay to keep your interest throughout. The nothern Spain locations are a change of pace also. Not a top tier SW but one you can watch many times without getting bored.

1 Like

How is the sequel “7 women for MacGregors” ?

1 Like

I have it in my growing pile to watch.

I have heard it is even more comedy based.

1 Like

Some of these light hearted spaghettis can be fun to watch I think, as long as it’s not too much crazy comedy like Hill/ Spencer stuff.

Have you seen the first one already?

They even have music by Morricone I believe.

[quote=“Silvanito, post:5, topic:639”]Some of these light hearted spaghettis can be fun to watch I think, as long as it’s not too much crazy comedy like Hill/ Spencer stuff.

Have you seen the first one already?

They even have music by Morricone I believe.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with what you are saying about the light hearted spaghetti westerns, as if you are in the mood they can be quite fun.

The first one is in my pile to watch aswell, I will have to view them when I get some time.

Morricone like you say does the music to both films, and I have some tracks on a Morricone C.D, and I think the music is superb!

I felt that they were enjoyable films, although the comedy does often seem a little forced.

The discs in the RHV boxset are very good, with more than acceptable English dub tracks (reviewed at my site).

I have a big soft spot for this movie as it was one of the first 5 or 6 Spaghetti Westerns I ever saw.
I think the comedy, the drama, and the action are fairly well mixed here and that Giraldi has made a more than decent adventure film.
Solid cast, too…with Woods, Sancho, etc.
The only thing I don’t care for in this movie is Morricone’s average score.

It ranks pretty high in my Top SW’s…but, I don’t expect it to be a favorite of most SW fans!

Actually this is no comedy, but the scenes with the scottish clan and the 7 brothers thing are so absurd that it seems to be one.
In fact, although this film has a lighthearted feeling, it is also a petty violent western for early 66.

[quote=“stanton, post:9, topic:639”]Actually this is no comedy, but the scenes with the scottish clan and the 7 brothers thing are so absurd that it seems to be a one.
In fact, although this film has a lighthearted feeling, it is also a petty violent western for early 66.[/quote]

I agree with your assessment, stanton. I always think of this movie as a solid adventure film…with a few comedic elements. And, yes it is definitely a violent film for the time it was released.

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:8, topic:639”]The only thing I don’t care for in this movie is Morricone’s average score.[/quote]I like the music. It’s not one of those Morrione scores you’d like to listen at your home too but it’s used very effectively in the film.

Just viewed this one recently and thought was a solid western and very enjoyable!

And like what has already been mentioned quite violent.

One of my favorite early period/experimental year Spaghettis. I love how the movie switches gears from scene to scene, with rabble rousing Macgregors always getting a jump ahead of everybody else. Even when they seem doomed they have some scheme in the works, and I like how all the brothers are equals. The Macgregor’s ranch house is also one of my favorite recurring location structures from Italian genre cinema: it shows up in a bunch of other Spaghettis, a couple of war films, a horror movie and at least one polizieschi that I have seen. I’m also a big Georges Rigaud fan and while he doesn’t have all that much screen time this is one of my favorite examples of his work. The final showdown on that mill wheel is also one of the strangest from the genre and may have been the inspiration from a scene in a Paul Naschy werewolf movie where he fights a mummy on a turning mill wheel.

GOOD NIGHT (Afternoon) - WE’RE IN THE DATABASE NOW !

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Seven_Guns_for_the_MacGregors_Review

Yes a somewhat odd film, entertaining, but not too much, and a great success, probably Robert Woods only greater success in the genre.

By mere coincidence I’ve just seen the sequel last week, which works with the same odd mixture, but is less violent.
The concept of these 7 nice (too nice) and unvulnerable brothers is not my idea of western heroes, so the most exciting thing in the sequel was … Agata Flori. Ha ha I like her, she’s a cutie (moustache? never!), with a beautiful face, she was also great in both Halleluja films. Sorry to hear she was possibly a bitch.
Woods had by the way also problems with Elsa Martinelli in The Belle Starr Story, where he was fired by Lina Wertmüller because of behaving like a diva, so, ha ha maybe he was the pain in the a… .

I like both, Bob and Agata

I once read somewhere that Robert Woods said Agata Flori had a bad breath and that’s why he hated making scenes with her. Haha! dunno if it’s true but it’s kinda funny anyway.

I like this film, but I’m not sure why! It has a good feel about it, comfort viewing. Mind you my copy is pretty ropey, a pan and scan from some old video source, I would love to see a decent copy in widescreen.

I really enjoyed both MacGregor films although Woods’ performance in this first one makes it my favourite of the two. It is a strange mix of comedy and violence but the main mood of the film is definitely more light hearted.

@Firefox
The italian RHV releases are excellent. Clean, widescreen prints with english audio. They are well worth getting if you like these films.

[quote=“Phil H, post:18, topic:639”]@Firefox
The italian RHV releases are excellent. Clean, widescreen prints with english audio. They are well worth getting if you like these films.[/quote]

Thanks for the info Phil, I’ll have a look around the net for a good price and treat myself.

Well worth it.