Sergio Sollima

I love both Face to Face and Big Gundown, but voted for the latter… Sollima did some great stuff in other genres as well, like Violent city, Revolver, the fun spyadventure Passport to Hell and my personal favorites the piratefilms starring Kabir Bedi, Sandokan and The Black Pirate. No doubt one of the very best directors of Italian 60s/70s genre-cimena!

Agreed! I’m glad someone loves ‘the black pirate’ as much as me!

Is it really called Sandokan the Black Pirate somewhere? It’s been years since I saw that film that I don’t remember it being a Sandokan film. I prefer La tigre e ancora viva… Sandokan alla riscossa! over this but they are both good.

Tweren’t me, i thought so much Cuchillo was too much of a good thing. And it was longer than need be. Good, not great for me.

No, The Black Pirate is not a Sandokan film, but Sollima also made the 6 part tv-series about Sandokan, also starring Kabir Bedi. The Black Pirate is very similar to that, and both are great adventures!
He also directed a follow up, The Son of Sandokan in 1998, but i haven´t been able to find that one…

[quote=“magnus, post:18, topic:182”]No, The Black Pirate is not a Sandokan film, but Sollima also made the 6 part tv-series about Sandokan, also starring Kabir Bedi. The Black Pirate is very similar to that, and both are great adventures!
He also directed a follow up, The Son of Sandokan in 1998, but i haven´t been able to find that one…[/quote]
Yeah, I misread your previous post and didn’t realize you were talking about 2 separate movies. Sollima’s original Sandokan TV series is great indeed and I would like to see it’s TV series sequel too (the movie I already have). Castellari made one TV series before Sollima’s Son of Sandokan but it’s not available on DVD either.

I just watched The Big Gundown for the first time and its a great film and Sollima’s best (complements of I…I…Idiot) Run Man Run is great but just a inkling uder Face to Face… Still three excellent fims… One of the few perfect sw careers…

Too short to be perfect

It’s About Quality, Not Quantity :wink:

la resa de conti forever!

I voted Face to Face; it’s one of my favourite spaghetti westerns. I’m thinking of the full version, and probably the fact that there are different versions will skew the results of a poll like this. However, it’s pretty close for me, as I do love The Big Gundown a great deal.

My favorite is CORRI UOMO CORRI. Basically because I love Mexico :slight_smile:
One of my favorite soundtracks. Great look / cinematography too.

But they are all great. LA RESA is a classic. One of the first and
next to Leone’s and Corbucci’s (and Quien Sabe and Sei Sei Vivo, Spara)
earlier films most influential entries in the genre.

FACCIA A FACCIA is superb too. Not the wig of Milian unfortunately.
Some flaws here and there. But any film with Volonte is great in a way :slight_smile:

Yes, I am not alone!

hi Novecento remember me? btw run man run is my fav solima western so u and siegel
are not alone!!!

So we are a “triumvirate”!

Good to hear form you again “django live”. Not around much around on the board myself any more these days.

i loved ‘la resa de conti’ a lot i found his other two very boring and almoust unwatchble about 97%

Sergio Sollima was very good director, but he’s unfortunately a bit overlooked, as Corbucci and Leone were more famous directors…
My favorite Sollima’s spaghetti western was doubtless “La resa dei conti” (1966)…

New Spanish book about Sollima

I wonder what happened to Vincent Jourdan’s long-announced monograph on Sergio Sollima’s films. The project seems to have vanished into thin air.

1 Like

good question, I just went ahead and sent him a message on FB. Update: book is finished but held up for different reasons. I have asked to be kept in the loop, I hope it reaches bookshelves at some point soon. But my French is rusty so I will have to wait for a translation

1 Like