Sergio Sollima

I finally saw the last Sollima western yesterday. I am so amazed because of the quality of the 3 movies. And because of that I want to know how you think about the three flicks. Which one is the best? Do you like the cast. Do you dislike anything?

all 3 films are very good spaghetti western. the films have really deserved the great german DVD ā€œSergio Sollima Italowestern Boxā€.

my favorite one is ā€œLa resa dei contiā€. really good story, great music, one of my favorite actors Lee van Cleef is acting and there is the Character of Chuchillo which is great and very funny (Thomas Millian is acting great). and this film has a great showdown.
all these things make this film rank under my top 5 spaghetti western.

almost as good as ā€œLa resa dei contiā€ is ā€œCorri, uomo, corriā€, which also has a good score. As i mentioned before i love the character of Chuchillo. And its also nice to see his hot girl friend and the other sexy blond woman. :slight_smile: the story is also very good.
btw all sphagetti western (i know) with the theme of the mexican revolution are one of the best films of this genre!

the last one ā€œFaccia a facciaā€ is a little bit untypical spaghetti western, but also a good one.

I think you are right: la resa dei conti is the best one. But in my opinion faccia a faccia is a little better than corri uomo corri. so the order of production is my order too. :slight_smile:

I agree ā€œla resa dei contiā€ is the best,everything is perfect, a wondefull cast,Cleef and Millian
at their best, the best support actors you can find Barnes,Sanchoā€¦and a great director.
Facci a faccia is also very good too and maybe is got more substance (philosophically and politically)
Corri uomo corri as Sollima said in the interview on japaneese DVD suffer of a lack of money.
But still a good one.3 shot 3 hit

I voted for Face to Face. Iā€™ve always preferred this to Big Gundown. Milian and Volonte are at their best.

I like The Big Gundown for Lee Van Cleef but its really Tomas Milianā€™s triello, and the last one Run Man Run is his best Sollima film.

I guess itā€™s according to who you like. I chose Big Gundown for Lee Van Cleef also.

Itā€™s a really tough call. Sollima is one of my favourite directors and all three westerns are great. But I vote for ā€œBig Gundownā€. Great story with some depth, but still plenty of action. Good actors and a magnificent score - itā€™s all top notch. But itā€™s a close call, and ā€œFace to Faceā€ and ā€œRun, Man, Runā€ come in second, with the latter being the slightly weaker of the two.

iā€™ve only seen ā€œFace to Faceā€ and itā€™s cool, i like it a lot
once again great score by morricone

[quote=ā€œRichard Gecko, post:9, topic:182ā€]iā€™ve only seen ā€œFace to Faceā€ and itā€™s cool, i like it a lot
once again great score by morricone[/quote]
Agreed, I think itā€™s among the best SWā€™s.

did not like Run Man Run but The first two are top notch.

hAVENā€™T SEEN rUN MAN rUN YET BUT bIG gUNDOWN GETS MY VOTE. fACE tO fACE WAS BETTTER FOR ME THE SECOND TIME AROUND BUT bIG gUNDOWN IS CLASSIC TO ME. oOPS ON THE cAPS lOC!

Hmm, I wonder who was the other person who voted for ā€œRun Man Runā€ along with me? At least I am not aloneā€¦

I love both Face to Face and Big Gundown, but voted for the latterā€¦ Sollima did some great stuff in other genres as well, like Violent city, Revolver, the fun spyadventure Passport to Hell and my personal favorites the piratefilms starring Kabir Bedi, Sandokan and The Black Pirate. No doubt one of the very best directors of Italian 60s/70s genre-cimena!

Agreed! Iā€™m glad someone loves ā€˜the black pirateā€™ as much as me!

Is it really called Sandokan the Black Pirate somewhere? Itā€™s been years since I saw that film that I donā€™t remember it being a Sandokan film. I prefer La tigre e ancora vivaā€¦ Sandokan alla riscossa! over this but they are both good.

Twerenā€™t me, i thought so much Cuchillo was too much of a good thing. And it was longer than need be. Good, not great for me.

No, The Black Pirate is not a Sandokan film, but Sollima also made the 6 part tv-series about Sandokan, also starring Kabir Bedi. The Black Pirate is very similar to that, and both are great adventures!
He also directed a follow up, The Son of Sandokan in 1998, but i havenĀ“t been able to find that oneā€¦

[quote=ā€œmagnus, post:18, topic:182ā€]No, The Black Pirate is not a Sandokan film, but Sollima also made the 6 part tv-series about Sandokan, also starring Kabir Bedi. The Black Pirate is very similar to that, and both are great adventures!
He also directed a follow up, The Son of Sandokan in 1998, but i havenĀ“t been able to find that oneā€¦[/quote]
Yeah, I misread your previous post and didnā€™t realize you were talking about 2 separate movies. Sollimaā€™s original Sandokan TV series is great indeed and I would like to see itā€™s TV series sequel too (the movie I already have). Castellari made one TV series before Sollimaā€™s Son of Sandokan but itā€™s not available on DVD either.

I just watched The Big Gundown for the first time and its a great film and Sollimaā€™s best (complements of Iā€¦Iā€¦Idiot) Run Man Run is great but just a inkling uder Face to Faceā€¦ Still three excellent fimsā€¦ One of the few perfect sw careersā€¦