Savage Pampas / Pampa salvaje (Hugo Fregonese, 1966)

To illustrate why in a lot of circumstances reframing the image to 2.35:1 made a lot of sense. In this case, as illustrated by the picture below, there were parts of the film that were glued, and those would cause severe flickering that was partially avoided by matting the picture down a bit.

Picture courtesy of Herbert Born, Schauburg cinema

I think you mean 112 min, right?

Giusti says Spain.

Thanks for sharing that.

No, really 121 min. Some sources say that.

Argentina and Spain, thatā€™s what IMDB says.

Well Giusti specifically notes this to have been filmed in Spain only and, while I have no idea myself, I would tend to take Giusti over IMDB.

What sources have 121 min? Giusti lists 112 min. Perhaps they are misprints?

Maybe.

2 German books, The Bruckner Spag bible and the classic western book by Joe Hembus. Both for the German version, which seems now to run only 94 min.

What an awesome film this is!

As for the context, Sebastian, the first time I viewed it I had the same question as you (if I understand your review right): is this a North American western set in Argentina? I think not. Argentina had its own Indian wars. During the seventies there were several military campaigns against the Indians living on the pampas, and there were still clashes in the eighties.

As for a longer version (than 112 min), I have not compared the 94 min BR with the 112 min DVD. But I think I noticed scenes in the 94 min version which are not in the 112 min version. But I have been wrong about such matters beforeā€¦

Well that is also what the guy from Schaumburg hinted at: itā€™s not so much about a short vs a longer version, but about various versions existing of movies as was usual back then. It often happened that the first theatrical runs were longer, and then distributors cut it down, or pulled certain scenes after test screenings, etc.

Now Iā€™m getting really tempted to just blind-buy it. Plus the more we talk about all these technical details (film stock, film length, shoot location etc.) the more intriguing it getsā€¦

1 Like

I have compared the first 24 minutes or so of the BR with the Jubal Classic Video 112 min version. So far the BR is the longer, for two reasons. Scenes without an English audio are left out in the 112 min version. The 112 min version is speeding up compared with the BR.

Interesting to hear how the rest compares. does it also start the same way (poor manā€™s version of an overture)?

Not quite. it starts out with the same great opening scene from the pampas,the main theme playing,but without the opening credits. Then the opening credits are shown on stills. Then it goes directy to the scene with the two deserting soliders, and then back to the raiding party returning to the camp.

Thanks for all the hard work! Would love to see a side-by-side comparison (like they do here Different Genre-Comparisons on Movie-Censorship.com ), but Iā€™m sure you have better things to do with your life :slight_smile:

So I have something to report.

First, the Jubal Classic DVD doesnā€™t run for 112 min. as announced. It runs for a little more than 94 min. But as I said before, it speeds up compared with the BR. This version is currently on YouTube with English audio and (I think) Portuguese subs - YouTube , running time 101:32. It runs at the exact same speed as the BR. Second, the BR has more or less five and a half minutes which is not in the mentioned 102 min version. It means that the BR leaves out more or less 13 minutes compared with the other. Together the two releases add up to 107 min., and as they are in PAL, corresponding approximately to 112 min.

The two releases Iā€™ve compared are both cut, but differently, as suggested by Sebastian. They are telling the same story, but in somewhat different ways. The BR has more dialogue and gives a little more depth to the story, the other one leaves a little more space for the professional women at the heart of the film.

1 Like

Perhaps when you have seen the BluRayā€¦

They arenā€™t in PAL, consequently 107 minutes is correct.

About three minutes shorter than the Italian theatrical cut released in 1966, weā€™re almost there.

I was wondering about that. Probably I have looked at the filmā€™s DVD page which has the Busch Media Group DVD as PAL, instead of the BR page.

Well the Jubal DVD at least would be PAL wouldnā€™t it? So donā€™t we need to factor in its different speed from that of the Blu-ray?

Also are you now saying 110 min rather than Giustiā€™s 112 min should be the officially listed time. I think itā€™s fairly safe to assume that the 121 min runtime is just a misprint for 112 min that was then copied.

Ha ha - I just might hold you to that!

By the way, is ā€œEl cjorroā€ a variant of ā€œEl chorroā€ going by the Argentinian definition here?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chorro

The DVD is PAL, but as morgan says the subtitled version on YouTubeā€¦

and this because itā€™s a 29.97-fps file.

Just ordered the french BluRay, canā€™t hold back my curiousity any longer recarding the uncut/recut version. Unfortuantely I do not have the technical means to compare it to the German BluRay, but I would gladly supply both to whoever can in order to supply schnittberichte.com with a detailed comparison