Savage Pampas / Pampa salvaje (Hugo Fregonese, 1966)

So I have the French BluRay now with the longer version on it (as an extra). It has disclaimer about it being a reconstruction that uses some lesser quality sources. The opening credits there are English and differ from the German opening (my reference is the UHD from Busch Media). I don’t have the Energy quite right now to do a minute by minute comparison, but eventually I might do that. I am somewhat fascinated by this movie, and most of all its soundtrack. Also, those who have it, or the DVD, I would love to read a summary in English about what the two interviews present as main takeaways, my french is too bad to follow Brions and Traverniers statements.

I’ll be very interested, Sebastian, in your further comments on the French SAVAGE PAMPAS blu-ray’s long version. The 94 minute version holds little interest for me, knowing it’s significantly cut. If the “inferior source” elements of the long version are decent or better, I will be an enthusiastic purchaser. Many thanks.

Couldn’t hold off, received the French blu-ray today. I’ll offer my observations in a couple days.

2 Likes

Any thoughts yet?

Finally watched my new Blu Ray (the French one) last evening, the long version. Great overall picture quality, with the occasional inserts obviously from an inferior source, but very watchable, like a good VHS tape back in the day. Good audio.

I was grateful for every second of SAVAGE PAMPAS, - which I found HUGELY entertaining. I hadn’t expected this, having read the checkered reviews and comments about the film. It’s visually stunning, and I thought the screenplay was excellent, as was Robert Taylor in the lead role. It’s a sweeping, expensive-looking action fllm with great stunts, surprising brutality for 1966, moments of humor … and several drop-dead gorgeous women. No nudity, but there’s a sexual frankness that I hadn’t expected in a ‘66 action-“western.”

Perhaps the musical score struck me as a bit odd here and there, but was effective enough. I liked this so much I’m going to watch it again this evening. I’ll have further comments, but I’m very happy I sprung for this.

4 Likes

I love the full length recording of his composition that he did after they butchered it in the soundtrack :slight_smile: what an epic score

I can readily believe that, Sebastian. Some further random comments based on my second viewing:
— I was impressed by Ty Hardin’s performance as the anarchist, and thought the character was well- written, nuanced.
— I was concerned that Robert Taylor might be too far past his prime to be an effective action lead. I was wrong. At age 54/55, he looked fit and strong, rode beautifully, often at a full gallop. He handled the fight scenes very well. I’m sure he must have been doubled on occasion, but much of the action was clearly Taylor himself. In fact, I never spotted a double. He didn’t look like a fading Hollywood leading man - he looked like an Argentinian bad-ass military man.
— The big attack on the village was awesome … at least a hundred extras involved, I guess, and they all looked like “Indians.” No bad wigs.

QUESTION: Is this considered a Spaghetti western? If so, I’ll need to make space in my next top 20 list

Not really, no. IIRC it’s an American/Spanish co-production, shot in Spain by an Argentine director and set in Argentina. So its Spanish production links qualify it as a Eurowestern for sure, but I don’t believe there’s any Italian contribution to the production of Savage Pampas, so it’s not a spag. That’s as I understand it anyway, happy to be corrected.

Cracking western though. :+1:

4 Likes

Makes sense, thanks. “Cracking:” good adjective.

1 Like

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new format. Please report any errors, and do submit links, articles, reviews, facts, trivia, info and pictures. We lack a good/concise synopsis for example.