Sartana in the Valley of Death / Sartana nella valle degli avvoltoi (Roberto Mauri, 1970)

Ya know, i just watched this two weeks ago and i can hardly remember anything about it other than being underwhelmed.

Yea it is odd that i can still remember this usually a few days after seeing a forgettable spaghetti western i forget it pretty fast. This always happens with the Sartana series the four always run together. There great but for some reason they run together in my memory. Accept for light the fuse because it is so different. Who can forget the piano?

Watched it last night and while it is not the best movie and definitely not a Sartana movie I did find it entertaining and nice to see William Berger in a good lead role. I watched the version that is in the Spaghetti Western Bible Volume 2 and I have to say the film and audio quality are very good. Very clear audio and nice clean picture.

1 Like

I actually kinda liked this one. Berger does some cool stuff with a gun, and there is a fair amount of decent action… Apart from the Sandpit of Doom and some hideous shots of people riding through “desert”, it’s pretty good, and the clock-work dolls are great.

1 Like

Ah yes, the dolls were neat. Them i remember.

Saw this about a year ago.
Not much to say except that Berger seems to run into an attractive female every 15 minutes (time it) and I believe there was an interesting settling of accounts involving a scorpion for the climax(?).

Also found it peculiar that, at one point, Berger shoots the ground and explosions go off. ???
I assume he set dynamite under the ground but we never see this happen (probably due to cuts).

Other than that, not much else to say.

Berger’s other solo western (Ringo’s Big Night) is much better.

Best bit really.

[quote=“YourPallbearer, post:46, topic:1283”]Also found it peculiar that, at one point, Berger shoots the ground and explosions go off. ???
I assume he set dynamite under the ground but we never see this happen (probably due to cuts).[/quote]

Yes, this is what happened in the uncut version there was dynamite thrown on the ground. I merged the uncut fullscreen VHS version with the Cest La Vie widescreen cut version.

The vid I got ain’t fullscreen - in fact it’s wider than the dvd … compare these shots -
C’est La Vie dvd
“Oooh, I wonder what she looks like?”

Inter Ocean vid

“Ooooh - not bad!”
You shouldn’t cut her out!
(Actually I’ve never understood these terms fully - do we mean open-matte, or is this indeed “fullscreen”?)

Rev, I think the one on top is cropped to make a fake widescreen DVD. Not uncommon.

And now that anamorphic stuff is all the rage some films are being cropped to fit widescreen TVs rather than being presented in original aspect ratio.

Some films are cropped to odd aspect ratios for other reasons, such as to hide damage to the sides of the print.

[quote=“YourPallbearer, post:46, topic:1283”]Also found it peculiar that, at one point, Berger shoots the ground and explosions go off. ???
I assume he set dynamite under the ground but we never see this happen (probably due to cuts).[/quote]
Yean, I have to admit, this bit left me scratching my head. Hopefully the uncut version the Rev’s sending me will give me the full story!

1 Like

Good I’m not alone about this.

Open-matte shows the stuff at the top and bottom of the screen that would normally be obscured by the black bars. Full screen crops the sides 'til you get a 4:3 picture.

Here’s another low budget flick that I consider ok to like. some ideas are reminiscent of “Sentenza di morte” but unfortunately the absence of a real desert destroys it.

Wrote a review in my blog, here: POR UM PUNHADO DE EUROS: Sartana nella valle degli avvoltoi (1970 / Realizador: Roberto Mauri)

1 Like

[quote=“p.pereira, post:54, topic:1283”]Here’s another low budget flick that I consider ok to like. some ideas are reminiscent of “Sentenza di morte” but unfortunately the absence of a real desert destroys it.

Wrote a review in my blog, here: http://por-um-punhado-de-euros.blogspot.pt/2012/10/sartana-nella-valle-degli-avvoltoi-1970.html[/quote]

A good point! Never thought about it that way, but it really is like a poor mans version of Death sentence.

It should be renamed Sartana in the Quarry of Death.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:55, topic:1283”]A good point! Never thought about it that way, but it really is like a poor mans version of Death sentence.

It should be renamed Sartana in the Quarry of Death.[/quote]

Indeed - I’ve always referred to it as ‘the Sandpit of Doom’

It’s a shit ‘valley’ but I have a soft spot for the film and the clockwork doll. Great print from c’est la vie used to be got for next to nowt.

1 Like

If I’m not mistake in one scene Sartana faint due to his dehydration but actually a mud pool is right in front of him.

1 Like

Annoyingly cropped though, top and bottom, as can be seen from your screenshot campirson.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:58, topic:1283”]Annoyingly cropped though, top and bottom, as can be seen from your screenshot campirson.[/quote]Isn’t it also heavily cut?

Oh yeah, I forgot I’d put those on. But nice punchy colours on the cest la vie - and as I said, could be got very cheaply. I wasn’t too bothered about the top ‘n’ tailing, but cutting her off’s a bit of a shame.

I’ve just read the thread - seems Ennioo thinks the InterOcean version adds a bit more characterisation - I just remember extended fisticuffs, which I could do without. All in all - I still like the cest la vie dvd, and when I watch it again (not just yet though :wink: ), I’d probably opt for that version.