Return of Sabata / È tornato Sabata … hai chiuso un’altra volta! (Gianfranco Parolini, 1971)

In the English version, the credits erroneously give his name as “Bucaron Gerard.” He played small roles in Bertrand Blier’s Les Valseuses (1974) and in Damiano Damiani’s pseudo-remake Un genio, due compari, un pollo (1975).

Carmelo Reale is the bald henchman, called Chuck in the English dub.

From The Big Racket (1976):

I haven’t watched this film in over ten years and I can understand why. Quite a boring film unfortunately. I love the first movie though.

I found Dante Cona (see Reply #99) shaven in 1972 TV mini series Sorelle Materassi: from memory the gunsmith seems to me the only possibility, what do you think considering that height and build seem to be the same?

Maybe it’s the hair but I just can’t see it. He looks so much younger.

But I think the guy to his right is the postal inspector in The Stranger Returns.

In my opinion it’s not the same actor who plays the inspector.

I found Chiappa in a minor role, so the only possibilities among credited actors are Filippo Antonelli and Arnaldo Mangolini: considering that there’s a painter with the same name born in 1958 and since Arnaldo was credited in the Art Department in a 1976 comedy he could be the young cow herder who saves the Stranger.twice, but for the moment there isn’t a confirmation.

1 Like

I have finally completed my Sabata chronicles.

And I was kind of pleasently suprised with Return, given its reputation. Opening act is quite faboulous and spiritful, and so is the soundtrack: I love the campy main song and the fuzzy guitar that pierces the whole soundtrack (making it clear that this is 1971, not middle of the 60s when twang was the thing). I also like that they downplayed the sillines a little bit, compared to Adios Sabata. Some of the gadgets are actually more cool than ridicoulous. So, I would rate Return of Sabata close to Sabata and a lot higher than Adios Sabata.

1 Like

I would agree! I dont care for Adios but Return has a special place in my heart!

Another comparison between the gunsmith and Dante Cona

I’m leaning towards Cona being the gunsmith. I also have found him a few times (I think these are all him) but always with a beard and that hair looks like wigs to me. He is credited in Galileo but I couldn’t recognize him. What source is the above pic from? What are your thoughts?

‘Lo scandalo della banca romana’ (aired in February 1977). Episode 2, from 12:30 to 13:45.

It’s hard to be sure, but I think it’s him.

Yes, it is hard to be sure and these pic from La dottoressa del distretto militare (1976) don’t help me :slight_smile:

Haha, big hair and long thick beard as usual.

The YouTube version is about ten minutes shorter than the original.

Anyway, is it Cona at 1:09:39 and from 1:06:45 to 1:08:15?
If so (as I think) no wig this time. Or maybe, at a closer look, a small toppiece slightly different in color.

Yes for sure

Was in a LVC mood so I decided to pop on Return of Sabata from the new Sabata Trilogy set. I know this one is not really liked by many but I honestly quite enjoy it. It obviously doesn’t hold a candle to the first but there are plenty of fun things in this one. I really love the ending where McKintocks ammo is swapped out for the paint rounds from the beginning of the film then Sabata and Clyde rise up to scare the life out of him.

I think a lot of the problems with the film stem from it coming out around the time where comedy westerns like Trinity started becoming more popular. I personally prefer the comedy in this one compared to films like My Name is Nobody, as I feel like Return of Sabata, is more of a Spaghetti Western with comedic undertones, rather than a full-on Western Comedy like most early 70s SWs. (which I personally find painful to watch most of the time). However, this makes a lot of the comedy seem jarring and out of place and often takes away from the regular SW experience. The main culprit is that there aren’t any on-screen deaths until near the end of the film, with a lot of the action turning into slapstick fights rather than bloody shootouts.

I think most will agree that the two best things about Return of Sabata are Cleef and the amazing theme song. I think with maybe 10 or so minutes taken off the runtime and a proper shootout or two added in, this could have been a pretty terrific follow up from the first Sabata.

4 Likes

Love Return of Sabata but one day I would love to know what the plot line is supposed to be

2 Likes

Working my way backwards through the Sabata trilogy and although I thought I had already watched them all once, I don’t remember any of this movie, and as such wasn’t prepared for how bad it is. I thought it would be at least of similar entertainment value to Adios Sabata, but not even close. I’m an hour in & the continuous stream of nonsense is exhausting to sit through, there’s literally nothing I like about this movie except the intro scene. So bad, I may just throw in the towel, but I’ll probably see it through…

Adios Sabata is so much better. I know I’ve seen the first and remember liking it also

5 Likes

Finished the movie and the ending is decent with a pretty good duel scene a bit before the end. But the movie itself isn’t worth watching just for these scenes, IMO. I will likely never revisit this title again

The circus/acrobat crap is just too stupid for me

1 Like

All good things make three. This movie’s page in the database has now also finally been migrated to the new 3.0 format. Please check it out and let us know if anything needs to be corrected or if you can add something (information, facts, links, texts, pictures, etc.)

New poll for Return of Sabata on the original post at the top of the page! :cowboy_hat_face: :arrow_up:

1 Like