Return of Sabata / È tornato Sabata … hai chiuso un’altra volta! (Gianfranco Parolini, 1971)

How did you like the film? I haven’t watched it yet

For more info visit:
Database page: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/%C3%88_tornato_Sabata…_hai_chiuso_un%27altra_volta

Give Return of Sabata your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

I really don’t like this film. Everything that works so well in “Sabata” just doesn’t work in this. I hate all the Circus stuff going on. Very poor (but I know many don’t agree). ;D

Derringdo, I’m probably worthy of being placed infront of the firing squad (or a spanking at least!) because I haven’t yet got around to watching it yet! And probably on that basis, I am still being a bit harsh.

I have just got hold of a copy of Adios Sabata at last, which I’m looking forward to gazing at!

I do intend to. Its the only LVC film I haven’t enjoyed at any level (hell, I even enjoyed God’s Gun), so I figure it may just have been the wrong time to watch it!

I think that it’s only an average Spaghetti. I love the beginning of the film though, up until the film starts proper.

I still try to understand the story, maybe I’m dumb, but it’s not as great as the 2 first one, if you consider the one with Yul Bryner a Sabata… Why does the acrobat are still in that movie? The music sucks and I don’T like the fact that it’s considered to be a Sabata and all the actors of the first one are not doing the same caracter… Worst part is when they visit the “future” sites of the city… That is the cheesiest part I’ve seen in a while in a movie…

Your right the start is superb with a great funky score i think, to be honest i prefer both the Lee Van Cleef Sabata’s to the Brynner one.

Just watched this yesterday, for the first time.

I have to say I did not really care for this one too much. Too goofy, not LVC’s best film. I like the beginning track, a little electric guitar… but that’s about it.

2 stars…

[quote=“Pacificador, post:8, topic:98”]Just watched this yesterday, for the first time.

I have to say I did not really care for this one too much. Too goofy, not LVC’s best film. I like the beginning track, a little electric guitar… but that’s about it.

2 stars…[/quote]

Pretty much my feelings exactly. A very poor follow up to a great original. Despite having most of the original cast still present it just doesn’t work.

I don’t understand why films like this get a full DVD release from MGM when other much better titles languish in their vaults. God’s Gun is the most recent example of this. I suppose it just comes down to anything with Van Cleef in will sell a certain number of units but we all know that LVC made some of the worst as well as the best Spaghettis. His stuff from the seventies in particular is more often miss than hit. (Grand Duel excepted)
What can we look forward to next, a collector’s 2 disc edition of Bad Man’s River?

I don’t see that great a difference between the 2 Sabata films of Parolini. I like both, with Adios Sabata being the best of Parolini, and all 3 are much, much better than God’s Gun.

They are fun and the more I see them, the more I like them. Same applies for If you meet Sartana.
And all have one or two plot twists too many

What a horrible thought! How would you feel about a double bill of Bad Man’s river and Captain Apache?

Parts of Return of Sabata seem like the editor spliced in a load of unrelated scenes just to fill in time. And who thought of giving Pedro Sanchez that big drum? I know it get’s used as a prop towards the end of the film, but it also makes him even more irritating than ever. I liked his characters in the other 2 films, but not this time.

Don’t joke, it will probably happen!
Although I think even worse would be a “Spaghetti Classics” soundtrack album featuring LVC singing April Morning.

Well, I dont understand, that Sabata is so popular and Sabata Returns not. I think it cant be taken seriously. It doesn´t even try to in my eyes. I especially liked the bad guy better; or his role and acting. And the bigger team for Sabata is also cool. For me Pedro Sanchez was less annoying in this one. Only Banjo could have been a bit better than the Clyde, but he was fun too. Sabata in this one is really like bond, you never are afraid that something happens to him; it was so clear to me what happened in the final duell. And i like the partner of the guy who was alley cat in the first movie.

So i liked it, in its way. I think you have to adapt to the style of the movie. And for me it is not what a spaghetti is about, but that is just my point of view.

I think what they tried to do was take the elements that made Sabata a fun, interesting movie and then took them too far. I don’t know about everyone else’s opinion on the matter, but I just found it tested my patience too much…just over the top.

In Sabata, he’s always one step ahead of the bad guys but you’re right, in the second one we know nothing bad will happen to him.

But hey, there’s no one right opinion of this movie, either you like it or you don’t I think. I’m a big LVC fan but not this movie! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pacificador, post:14, topic:98”]I think what they tried to do was take the elements that made Sabata a fun, interesting movie and then took them too far. I don’t know about everyone else’s opinion on the matter, but I just found it tested my patience too much…just over the top.

In Sabata, he’s always one step ahead of the bad guys but you’re right, in the second one we know nothing bad will happen to him.

But hey, there’s no one right opinion of this movie, either you like it or you don’t I think. I’m a big LVC fan but not this movie! :)[/quote]

I’m with you on that. It’s as if they tried to replicate the success of the first one by including as many of the faces and stuff from the first but just couldn’t recapture the essence of it somehow. Not an uncommon problem with sequels in any genre of film making.
I’m a big Sabata fan but this one left me strangely cold.

[quote=“Phil H, post:15, topic:98”]I’m with you on that. It’s as if they tried to replicate the success of the first one by including as many of the faces and stuff from the first but just couldn’t recapture the essence of it somehow. Not an uncommon problem with sequels in any genre of film making.
I’m a big Sabata fan but this one left me strangely cold.[/quote]\

The worse part about this movie is that it does not follow any continuity with the original. Pedro sanchez and Nick Jordan are playing different characters.

Sabata got rich in the first movie but now he is making ends meet as a circus performer?

The makers of the movie should really have made the story more of a continuation of the first movie.

Sabata points out he is after a murderer, so that’s why he’s working on a circus, i guess…

God, I hate this movie. I just think it sucks badly.
The plot is understandable (or maybe I’m too stupid to get it!), too confusing, and the sense of humour is even worse than in the first movie (which I don’t like either…)

2 out of 10 (1 star!)

I’m a big fan of the first two Sabata movies, but I really hate this one! It’s just lame western with too many silly jokes. Lee van Cleef as circus artist? C’mon! What a stupid idea! Man, even score is dumb. That irritating theme…

Still I don’t get it how they could screw it up. After all, they took ideas from first two (good!) movies. We’ve got silent acrobats, Pedro Sanchez as friend of main character, lot’s of money and double crosser, but Raynor Scheine is not half as good as Banjo or Ballantine.

This movie have only one advantage: Giampiero Albertini as Joe McIntock, but Sabata always had luck to the interesting enemies.

That and he’s now an ex confederate, which contradicts the first movie where he’s an ex Union soldier (nobody outright says it but it is implied with Banjo’s “me in the south and you in the north” line).

As for the money, the same thing happens in the DOLLARS TRILOGY. Although Eastwood’s character being the same in every movie is questionable it still is a head scratcher.

You might say Sabata lost all of the money in a card game. He is a gambeling man after all.

Well in the Dollars trilogy, Eastwood is arguably playing 3 separate characters in 3 different stories. Maybe FFD and FFDM are the same guy, but GBU seems to be a different guy all together.

I basically pretend that Sabata returns never happened, and that it isn’t the same guy. Also did anyone notice that in Sabata returns he’s got hair? Apparently he lost his money but still had enough left to buy a toupee haha.