R.I.P. Legends Lost but Remembered

A post was merged into an existing topic: Happy Birthday!

Ennio Morricone will be one of the names that will never die. Heā€™s up there with the greats of music and art now, and Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be composing the greatest pieces of music with them.

3 Likes

My favorite composer of all time, I was crushed when I heard the news. To me he was immortal, and a prime candidate to reach 100. He looked so healthy for his age. RIP to a man whoā€™ll never be forgotten.

3 Likes

Carl Reiner, the comedy legend behind The 2000 Year Old Man with Mel Brooks, The Dick Van Dyke show, and some of Steve Martinā€™s early film successes, passed away a few days ago at 98. RIP to one of the best of the funny men.

1 Like

RIP Maestro Morriconeā€¦thank you for all that you gave us :sob:

2 Likes

Just when you think 2020 couldnā€™t get any worse, this happens. I mainly know him from the westerns he composed. Iā€™m not too familiar with his other work, but I know enough to realise he was (and still is) a legend.
Also, I was lucky enough to see him live a few years ago.

RIP Ennio Morricone, the Wild West will never sound as wild anymore.

5 Likes

R.I.P Ennio Morriconeā€¦
The spaghetti westerns started and ended with Sergio Leone and Ennio Morriconeā€¦

4 Likes

R.I P Mr Morricone !

The man who got me hooked on Spaghetti Westerns for sureā€¦that sound !

3 Likes

The Maestro is dead Long live the Maestro.

One ot the things about SW that make love them was of course the music, Morricone scores were one of the characters sometimes they made the cahracter we can see revenge in Bronson eyes just by earing Man with the harmonica.
His music scores could elevate the cheapest looking film to another level.

But the maestro was more, much more than only (and a big only) the SW music, to me he kept the tradition of the great Italian composers like Monteverdi, Vivaldi, Verdi, Pucinni or Rossini, and for us to only thing to do is to celebrate his music.

Grazie Maestro

4 Likes

Some thoughts by @Divy :

3 Likes

He created the distinctive sound of an entire movie subgenre. Itā€™s almost impossible even to say ā€œSpaghetti Westernā€ without instantly hearing a howling harmonica, wistfully dashing whistling and a reverbed Fender guitar. Now the last drum roll for Ennio Morricone has faded away.

2 Likes

I have to say, because of work and everything, it still hasnā€™t quite hit me. Maybe I am surpressing it (I did cry yesterday for the few mintues I had time to deal with it), but I guess I am still processing that he is indeed no longer with us. I am so grateful that I was in a position to experience him live, twice, even though under less than optimal accoustic circumstances (crucify the motherfucker whose idea it was to put a symphonic concert into a basketball stadium).
Not only did he contribute the sounds to a genre that would otherwise have never gained that much prominence, not only has he to date never been surpassed or replaced by anyone nearly as ingenious, he also left a mark on other genres, which - at least in this forum - sometimes goes a bit unnoticed or overlooked. He wrote hundreds of tunes for movies, from gialli to polizios. He wrote a lot of standard stuff you would hardly remember him for, butā€¦ and that is the pointā€¦ you will always recognize a Morricone score. He wrote the sounds for The Mission, The Untouchables and many bigger productions alsoā€¦
I started reading the biography a while back, I think now is the time to pick up the book again and continue reading

4 Likes

Yes, I saw him live once. It was spellbinding.

Outside of Sergio Leone, his other greatest partnership must have been with Giuseppe Tornatore.

At least the Morricone documentary by Tornatore should finally be released this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9LbPIuFs8

5 Likes

Not sure how to handle this post-Morricone era of humanity

1 Like

Looks great, something to look forward to !

For the last few days, I have been trying to take in this news, but my heart has a hole in it. Iā€™ll never be able to shake this manā€™s hand and thank him for his incredible work. RIP Maestro.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe itā€™s an exaggeration, nor does it take anything away from Leone, to say that his films would be diminished by more than fifty percent without Ennio Morriconeā€™s music.

From Fistful of Dollars onwards, Morricone redefined the role that music could play in conditioning our experience of film. He doesnā€™t just provide the psychological tone, but an abstract and sublime aural commentary.

3 Likes

I cried pretty hard as I went though Youtube listening to this beautiful manā€™s music. Morricone was tied for best composer in my mind with Akira Ifukube. I so wish I could have thanked him in person for all his music has done for me over the years. We love and miss you, Maestro.

1 Like

Never ā€¦

Maybe Morricone would never have become famous without Leone, who knows? If the story is true, Morricone wanted to make just another banal score for FoD, and it was Leone who suggested to make something different.

I read that Leone was reluctant to use Morricone, having heard his recent scoring of Gunfight at Red Sands. Iā€™m sure the director did encourage his former classmate to do something different. Given that freedom, Morricone composed something quite exceptional, which helped to launch both of their careers.

Edit to add: I see Scherpschutterā€™s excellent tribute covers this first professional meeting of minds.

1 Like