Peter Lee Lawrence

Yeah, he did seem very versatile. Especially when he was outside the western roles.

I have never encountered so much trouble/difficulty as I have had in trying to find out
information about PETER LEE LAWRENCE’s life and sad death.

There is a severe lack of information both on the net, in books, in the press but I still try :slight_smile:

What I know for sure is that PETER LEE LAWRENCE was a major screen actor, the 3rd leading SW star, an extremely talented/sensitive/electric screen presence ACTOR and
a wonderful/generous person in real life. Despite suffering major pain/despair he kept on
working and making magnificently memorable SWs/Giallos right up to his death 19-4-74.

Lawrence was one of the rare actors that had a strong screen prescence. Anytime, he was on screen more than likely the viewers eyes are on him. Probably why he became a leading man so quickly in westerns. I just wish that his films were more popular worldwide. The most popular film he was in is probably A Few Dollars More which he was only in for a couple of seconds.

He also seemed to be really good at doing the physical stuff in his films. I’ve seen him pop up from his back to his feet a couple of times in films. I don’t know why but that has always impressed me.

I have found some information on PLL. If you want I can post the box office gross (Italy and Spain only) of his SW’s. Box office perfomance is a highly imperfect but interesting none the less indicator of an actor’s impact on film. And ss box office data attests, he had quite a few popular hits for such a brief career and compared favorably to the box office performance of Garko, Steffen, Hilton etc…

The tragedy is that while some people become more popular after their death, it seems PLL became forgotten. Maybe he needed to hire a better publicist or something.

He isn’t forgotten by us 8)

Exactly Lindberg PETER LEE LAWRENCE has still today an enormous devoted fan following
especially in Italy/Spain/Europe. As I stated earlier PLL has numerous fan sites where
girls/women post loving messages still fondly remembering him and his wonderful films.
He is absolutely an enormously popular CULT star :D. Tack for the superb PLL poster Lind

PETER LEE LAWRENCE IN :

I like the fact the Lawrence pretty much took off as a leading man right from the start. He had a small part in A Few Dollars More, but after that he was pretty much a leading man in most of his films. I guess directors or people who cast his films saw something special in him.

Yes I noticed that fact also that after 1 Italian multi segment film and For A Few $ More
PETER LEE LAWRENCE, being tall, blond, handsome, charming, extremely talented
was immediately given leading roles in Classic/Cult SWs starting with KILLER CALIBER 32.
PLL remained a much sought after and loved by millions leading man in SWs and Giallos.

Peter Lee Lawrence

I was on another western forum and someone mentioned how some people didn’t like Lawrence because they felt he was too pretty for the lead roles in westerns. Of course, I completely disagree with that. I think he was a very strong and charismatic actor who just happened to be good looking. I’ve been looking for two of his films, Awkward Hands and Garringo, but can’t find them for sale online. I looked at Alta Visual but I’m still not certain about how to purchase movies from the online. The site could definately be set up better.

He surely has not the “typical SW look”.

I think his youthful boyishness is actually refreshing for the genre.

Before I had ever heard of PLL I watched For a Few Dollars More, and I wondered what ever became of the actor who had a 2 second part getting shot by Volonte. I though he was just an extra, but I wondered about him nevertheless. Little did I know that same guy getting shot by Volonte actually carved out a nice abeit short career as a SW star.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE FOREVER

Tack Lindberg , that is the Peter Lee Lawrence mean SW look that attracted millions :).

I agree that PETER LEE LAWRENCE is not your usual SW leading man , in that PLL
was more youthful, boyish handsome, blond, screen refined with exquisite style and
he stands apart also for me because I can see in ALL Peter Lee Lawrence’s Sws/Giallos
that PLL has a special electric screen chemistry with his Leading ladies :o :).
In BLACK BEAUTY 1971 , not a SW but a beautiful , tragic, family movie about the horse
PLL gives a masterful acting performance ranging from tender love with MARIA ROHM, to outrage/anger at the false accusations of “cowardice”, to bravery in war.
Peter Lee Lawrence was also EXTREMELY MATURE ACTING despite being in his 20s
and his screen presence radiated warmth, wisdom, heroism, tragedy, romance and more

I wonder if the fact that Lawrence was a foreign actor and probably didn’t speak English that well has something to do with him getting roles that would have made him more popular here in the U.S. The french actor Alain Delon was a huge star in his country but was never really able to make a name for himself despite the fact that he was one of the most charismatic actors in film at the time. I’ve seen a couple of post about Black Beauty and that is one of my favorite performances from him. I believe that was an UK film. I wonder how he got to be apart of that.

I think Black Beauty was a German/UK co-production, and the cast reflected this. And you’re right; it was a great performance.

It always used to annoy me that people seemed to dismiss him because of his looks, and lack of a big physique, but i’ve always thought he had a great range, and played a lot of very different characters (unlike some actors who always seem to play the same way in each role), and as was mentioned in an earlier post, he seemed very physical (he does a couple of great moves in Garringo).

The two films you mentioned, I have the Atlas discs myself, and can copy them if you want to do a trade or something. Just PM me :wink:

I have been very pleased with the films I have seen PLL in so far.

PETER LEE LAWRENCE and ANTHONY STEFFEN A perfect Team of LEADING men

Both actors brought to the SW genre an extraordinary presence/talent/screen greatness

GARRINGO 1969 SABATA THE KILLER 1969

ALAIN DELON I agree as previously posted that Alain Delon is one of the most
talented/charismatic/leading actors in the world. I differ though in stating that Alain
Delon was in fact very succesful Internationally as his films are world popular/dubbed :slight_smile:
Alain Delon is a mega star in France/Belgium/Europe/Japan/Australia/Asia and was also
well received/popular in the USA, but he chose to be Europe based not Hollywood :smiley:

I very much enjoyed Honor Among Thieves with ALAIN DELON recently, co starring along Mr.Bronson.

Excellent Ennioo we can see you are a man of refined good taste :slight_smile:
That great Film that starred ALAIN DELON and CHARLES BRONSON (outstanding team) is also known as FAREWELL FRIEND or Adieu L’Ami 1968 with Olga Georges Picot , a French leading lady (who also starred with Roger “Saint” Moore in 70
Wonderful film directed by Jean Herman. Reissue title is Honour Among Thieves :smiley:

Interesting to know re the other titles of the film ;).