Peter Lee Lawrence

PETER LEE LAWRENCE (Karl Otto Hirenbach) Born 21-2-1945 Died 19-4-1974

PETER LEE LAWRENCE, a tall, blond handsome German Leading SW Actor (3rd most prolific)

appeared in 17 CULT/OUTSTANDING/EXCELLENT Spaghetti Westerns, plus 13 other top films in a short career terminated suddenly/tragically by Lawrence’s suicide in April 1974.
Most of Peter Lee Lawrence’s SW have a massive cult/iconic following in Italy/Spain, where
devoted female fans still post loving messages in their millions on message boards.

Discuss this late great REAL “James Dean” life and films… :smiley:

CULT STAR Karl Otto Hirenbach

PETER LEE LAWRENCE is the LEGEND The CULT the STAR

Just saw today his fabulous performance as “Gervaise” in BLACK BEAUTY 1971. :smiley:

Have you seen all his films?

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:3, topic:815”]PETER LEE LAWRENCE is the LEGEND The CULT the STAR

Just saw today his fabulous performance as “Gervaise” in BLACK BEAUTY 1971. :D[/quote]

I take it you’re situated in the UK then? :wink: I watched it myself this afternoon :smiley:

I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but i’ve seen (and have) 27 of his 30 films (though in various formats, languages and states of quality). Of the 3 i haven’t seen, i believe one was just a brief appearance, like his scenes in FAFDM. Got a lot of thoughts on the guy but they’ll have to wait for now… :wink:

[quote=“Silver, post:5, topic:815”]I take it you’re situated in the UK then? :wink: I watched it myself this afternoon :smiley:

I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but i’ve seen (and have) 27 of his 30 films (though in various formats, languages and states of quality). Of the 3 i haven’t seen, i believe it was just a brief appearance, like his scenes in FAFDM. Got a lot of thoughts on the guy but they’ll have to wait for now… ;)[/quote]

Yes Silver I have access to UK stations/Sky TV and more :wink:
We both watched as you say that epic, tender, heart stopping, tear-jerking story of

BLACK BEAUTY 1971 PETER LEE LAWRENCE Maria Rohm Uschi Glas Mark Lester

This was the classic Film from 1971 that led to the LWT wonderful TV series Black Beauty
with William Lucas, Stacy Dorning, Judy Bowker and other top stars. A true cult series.

In the Film 1971 BLACK BEAUTY , a tragic story of love/war/death is played to perfection
by 2 of European Films Greatest Stars : Peter Lee Lawrence and Maria Rohm :-* , they
play a young couple deeply in love but doomed to be parted when Gervaise (Lawrence)
is forced to fight in a war battle after being wrongly accused of cowardice by Rohm’s dad
I was hoping that Gervaise could return from battle and slap the cowardly father but
sadly he died fighting bravely for his cause. If some pompous oaf had insulted my family
like that I would have cut his head off, after forcing him to apologize through intra venus drips at the hospital :smiley: ;D I thought Gervaise(Lawrence) was far too restrained & kind.
A memorable film and cast= Black Beauty 71.

I have to admit that I have seen less than your 27 Peter Lee Lawrence Cult Films but I
aim to catch up soon :o (I assume the q was at me ? ;D).

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:6, topic:815”]Yes Silver I have access to UK stations/Sky TV and more :wink:
We both watched as you say that epic, tender, heart stopping, tear-jerking story of

BLACK BEAUTY 1971 PETER LEE LAWRENCE Maria Rohm Uschi Glas Mark Lester

This was the classic Film from 1971 that led to the LWT wonderful TV series Black Beauty
with William Lucas, Stacy Dorning, Judy Bowker and other top stars. A true cult series.

In the Film 1971 BLACK BEAUTY , a tragic story of love/war/death is played to perfection
by 2 of European Films Greatest Stars : Peter Lee Lawrence and Maria Rohm :-* , they
play a young couple deeply in love but doomed to be parted when Gervaise (Lawrence)
is forced to fight in a war battle after being wrongly accused of cowardice by Rohm’s dad
I was hoping that Gervaise could return from battle and slap the cowardly father but
sadly he died fighting bravely for his cause. If some pompous oaf had insulted my family
like that I would have cut his head off, after forcing him to apologize through intra venus drips at the hospital :smiley: ;D I thought Gervaise(Lawrence) was far too restrained & kind.
A memorable film and cast= Black Beauty 71.

I have to admit that I have seen less than your 27 Peter Lee Lawrence Cult Films but I
aim to catch up soon :o (I assume the q was at me ? ;D).[/quote]

I must admit i do find that section of he film very sad…and as you say, his character is far too restrained and gentlemanly in that one (unlike in some of his films, i might add).

As to your own collection of his films, perhaps you have one i don’t? And about the ones i do have; i just wish i could find better versions of some of them, but what i have was hard enough to find in the first place! :smiley: :wink:

Well I look forward to seeing your viewed list of PLL Films maybe with scores out of 20 :smiley:

Regarding my collection many I borrowed/viewed/returned and it helps I speak Italian.
Also any information on the tragic suicide on 19-4-1974 I would appreciate as it is very
difficult to even discover in which Italian city PLL actually died and other sad details.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:8, topic:815”]Well I look forward to seeing your viewed list of PLL Films maybe with scores out of 20 :smiley:

Regarding my collection many I borrowed/viewed/returned and it helps I speak Italian.
Also any information on the tragic suicide on 19-4-1974 I would appreciate as it is very
difficult to even discover in which Italian city PLL actually died and other sad details.[/quote]

Well, maybe i’ll do that at some point! As for information on him…well i’m afraid i’ve never really been able to find anything out about him. In fact i’ve always been a bit surprised at precisely how little info there is. Most of what i’ve come across could best be described as hearsay or speculation. The only things i know for certain are the dates of his birth and death and that he was married to Christina Galbo. Other than that i have read in various places, that they had at least one child, and that at some point they split up and she stayed in Spain while he went back to Rome. (So perhaps that is where he lived/died?). Also it’s been suggested that he may have had an affair with frequent co star Erica Blanc (and i have to say, they did make an attractive couple on screen and looked very comfortable with each other…). Even his death seems to be subject to a lot of speculation too…I’ve read before that he didn’t commit suicide but simply died of his condition…and he does seem to have been working up til quite close to his death. Another source claimed he was a manic depressive and killed himself for that reason. I guess that unless someone could track down a relative or someone who knew him well, we’ll never really know.

Thanks very much Silver you have summed up and posted pretty much what there seems
to be known about Peter Lee Lawrence and his tragic death, including the Erika Blanc
gossip. The IMDB seems to not mention any child , just the marriage to Christina Galbo.
We will keep on trying to discover more and always support the great films and his memory
I wish somebody would research and print a book. ::slight_smile: :smiley:

Nice that you answered too Silver!

Then we have 2 real fans of this cult star on the forum, and maybe also Lode, I think he liked the guy a lot aswell.

YES Lindberg the more the merrier and unity is always strength. :wink:
I think another Forumite (Silver Wolf ?) had seen some Classic Peter Lee Lawrence SWs
and posted some very good votes/reviews (this was another thread as I recall). :o

[quote=“Lindberg, post:11, topic:815”]Nice that you answered too Silver!

Then we have 2 real fans of this cult star on the forum, and maybe also Lode, I think he liked the guy a lot aswell.[/quote]

Nice that you remember me being a little PLL Fan. I really like the stuff he is in. Also Bluntwolf likes him a lot…

True, true !!! I only know his SW though, unfortunately wasn’t able to catch 'em all yet !!!

I’ve seen (and reviewed - see my site) three of his films, the super ‘I Giorni Della Violenza’ the above average ‘Su le mani, cadavere! Sei in arresto’ and the rather mediocre ‘Pistol for 100 Graves’. He was very good when playing an innocent forced to take up arms, particularly in those first two films.

I’d love to see some more of his films, particularly the war film ‘Testa di sbarco per otto implacabili’, but AFAIK it is only available on a poor US PD disc.

I was hoping to write a biography page on him at some point if anyone knows a good source of information about him, besides his film credits.

[quote=“R-T-C Tim, post:15, topic:815”]I’ve seen (and reviewed - see my site) three of his films, the super ‘I Giorni Della Violenza’ the above average ‘Su le mani, cadavere! Sei in arresto’ and the rather mediocre ‘Pistol for 100 Graves’. He was very good when playing an innocent forced to take up arms, particularly in those first two films.

I’d love to see some more of his films, particularly the war film ‘Testa di sbarco per otto implacabili’, but AFAIK it is only available on a poor US PD disc.

I was hoping to write a biography page on him at some point if anyone knows a good source of information about him, besides his film credits.[/quote]

Yes, you’re right, the US disc is very poor (and fullscreen), which is a shame because it’s not a bad little film really.

As for information…there’s a definite scarcity of that about :frowning:

I am very impressed with your site and work Tim.

A biography on PETER LEE LAWRENCE would be most welcome and we will all try to
give you some PLL sources from which information can be gathered on this great star. :smiley:

An idea might be to try and contact Christina Galbo at her USA base as she will
have lots of knowledge and information, that is if she desires to make it public though. :o

I get the feeling she probably wouldn’t care to comment, but if you ever get round to doing that i’d certainly be interested in the result :wink: ;D

Maybe you are right Silver, but I am very determined and persistent :o
Let us hope I can find her email address to start with …
I may have a go at Erica Blanc later…email that is… :smiley: :wink: