Personal Spaghetti Western Top - including many beyond the usual of only 20

What madness is this? :rofl:

5 Likes

I’m actually not a fan of Spaghetti Western comedies either, but for some reason still really enjoyed God Forgives… I Don’t. I think it was just still serious enough for me to enjoy.

It is not a f*cking comedy to begin with.

6 Likes

I’ve laughed more at this comment that I did at all three Colizzi movies combined. :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t dismiss any film until I’ve watched it for myself.

3 Likes

It is an example of (different) taste (than yours probably), similar as can be expected regarding some other attributes…

I wouldn’t either like to watch an - in my view - ugly leading lady in Johnny Yuma. I prefer Rosalba Neri. But I confess, I am probably not the “average” guy in that respect, nor in others :wink:

So, you’re saying that it is not the quality of the movie that is important but how the people in it look? So, theoretically, because Orson Welles ended up over weight, you would never give Citizen Kane a chance and instead rate The Hostess Also Likes to Blow the Horn as being a better movie on your list because Rosalba Neri was hot?

I am in faith that runner will change his mind regarding this one day :wink: Some time ago he refused to watch movies that didn’t have a proper release and would never buy an unofficial release!

No your conclusion is going too far, beyond the subject. I have discussed SWs and one particular characteric of a leading guy, which is relevant to my own personal rating of SWs.

As I recall I didn’t either completely rule out buying DVD-R:s (even if I didn’t write that (?) :slight_smile: .

Anyhow, my hunger for more good SWs obviously was too big to stop there !
So it seemed logical to expand my buying criteria when I seemed to have engulfed all the available official DVDs/Blurays on my wishing list during 2.5 years of specializing in SWs.

But if I changed my mind in that respect, I might not change my mind so much in certain or many other respects regarding SWs. Taste is as all should know very different even between SW aficionados.

I am not trying to be mean at all, I am just trying to grasp what the appearance of the actor and/or actress have to do with the quality of a movie as a whole. Why is your dislike limited to only SWs? Why wouldn’t it go to all movies? Steve Reeves was a body builder and thought to be a very handsome man but he doesn’t hold a candle when compared to Bud Spencer or, for that matter, Fernando Sancho when it comes to acting in SWs. So, you’ve never watched A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die or Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die! or The 5-Man Army simply because Bud Spencer is a star in the movie? I’m not asking about a critique of the movies because that changes from person to person, but you would never give them a chance because Bud Spencer is a star?

My SW Top list is not reflecting “quality” in some strict objective meaning, only my personal perceived entertaing value (which though probably to a certain extent is correlated to quality, but also and much stronger to personal taste in different respects).

I have never claimed that my dislike in this case (Bud Spencer SW) only is regarding SWs, but from that follows logically not anything special regarding this in other types of films and here I focus on SWs,
But as sort of clue I can say I used to like Laurel & Hardy as a kid :slight_smile:

Regarding A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die or Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die! or The 5-Man Army I have probably used some usual selecting criteria of mine for SWs, and possibly read some in these films respective thread here, and after that just ruled them out for now for entering my personal watch list.
I don’t remember exactly why now in each case, possibly partly because that Bud Spencer is no favorite of mine as an antihero.

I will probably not include a Bud Spencer SW on why watch list - IF he is THE leading actor/antihero or one of TWO “buddies” antiheroes. My intuition says there is a very high probability that I would find it a waste of time.
I have only watched around 120-130 SWs and stopped watching a dozen more or so and try beforehand to eliminate the ones I likely will rate low.

For now I guess that I have found nearly all of my personal possible 7/10-rated SWs. And likely I still miss some possible 6/10-rated, but with my selection process I have eliminated the “work” of watching another 400 or so SWs that I expect to find boring, comedies, fat guys as the antihero etc :slight_smile:

But the 80+ SWs in my collection with 6-10/10 rating I on the average probably watch more times than most aficionados, or ? After 3 years I think I have watched them between 3 and 10 times each, maybe median value of 5-6 times (at least for the 7/10 or higher rated) ?

This sort of contradicts what you are saying now and is what began this whole discussion. This statement above, is what led me to make the Orson Welles comment. To which you replied:

So, then we were only talking about “fat people” in SWs which, in your latest post, moved to Spencer only. It is all very confusing. :rofl: But, as I said prior, to each their own.

Let me just say though, you might be missing out on a lot of great movies you will find enjoyable by writing them off before you ever watch them. Every time I sit down to watch a movie I’ve never seen (whether it be SW, Giallo, Gothic Horror, or one of other numerous genres), I am always excited at the possibility of what I might discover and there would have been a lot of great movies I would never have experienced if I allowed the opinions of others to prejudice me.

1 Like

No, you missunderstood. my answer, to The_Man_With_a Name, referred to what had been discussed before at that time as I recall, that is SWs.

I am rather logical and seldom contradict myself :slight_smile:

And, yes I may be missing out much regarding films in general by not watching so many others, but I have several other interests as well that consume my time, for example running, music, old Disney comics by C Barks, and just these days pandemic analysis regarding immunology, epidemiology, virology. It takes a lot of time but is fun and interesting !

It could have been a 7/10 but Bud Spencer is fat, so that makes it a narrow 6/10 but when you consider that his weight might have been the result of alcohol, it may only be a 5/10 since Runner has standards. However, the occasional cheeky sangria might affect his judgement!

2 Likes

Personally I probably wouldn’t like some of these “buddy” movies even with a thinner Bud Spencer. Some of them are comedies I believe which also rules them out, with or without Sangria :slight_smile:

None of them are comedies.

1 Like

Aha, so I have probably ruled them out earlier anyhow in my selection process. But I think that at least some "buddy SWs " (?) with Bud Spencer directed by Colizzi are comedies.
I (maybe reluctantly?) watched the first non-comedy SW by Colizzi Dio perdona… Io no! on Youtube and rated it 5/10. Maybe it was then I realised I didn’t like a fat man as antihero, comedy or no comedy :slight_smile:

Colizzi only directed six movies before passing away in his sleep at the age of 53. These three movies, God Forgives…I Don’t!, Ace High, and Boot Hill, were the only SWs that Colizzi directed. He did direct one other movie with Spencer and Hill called All the Way Boys that was set in modern times.

None of them

1 Like