Personal Spaghetti Western Top - including many beyond the usual of only 20

Aha, well so for me then the comedy criteria is not applicable there (as stated above I have once watched and rated God Forgives…I Don’t!, 5/10 )…- the fat leading guy/antihero is sufficient (if Bud Spencer is there) :slight_smile: That’s enough for me in a SW.

So HOW could I rate Kill The Wicked ! as high as 8/10 ??? :slight_smile:

Is there a contradiction here or… ?

Not every parrot would agree with you there.

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

I will try to answer myself, if I can.
First, my question obviously is referring to Furio Meniconi as Braddock, if anyone, but he is hardly one of the antiheroes rather one of the bandits, but still one of the leading characters (so maybe I should define the criterium as fat leading guy who is also an antihero in the SW in question :slight_smile: ).
Larry Ward as Benny Hudson though is a rather washed-out antihero IMO, but regarding Kill The Wicked! it is the unusual entertaining story, the wonderful minimalistic music by Lavagnino (I have the CD), Maria Silva, the mood etc that mainly attract me enough. Obviously very subjective criteria anyway…

I have downgraded the last 3 SWs on my former Top list to 5/10, since my “natural resistance” to watch them now indicates I don’t consider them good enough any more :

No Graves On Boot Hill/Three Crosses Not to Die/Three Crosses of Death
Time Of Vultures/Last Of The Badmen
Two Crosses At Danger Pass

I just watched No Graves On Boot Hill for only the 3rd or so time I guess, but the mix with lighthearted and serious scenes, and all those scenes with henchmen of the main bad guy shooting and attacking and getting themselves killed are irritating and boring as well as a fist fight. Craig Hill was good in Taste Of Killing, but his character here is slimy.

1 Like

Some uprating instead this time, Two Faces Of The Dollar and Go With God Gringo to 7/10. Both deserves an official DVD/Bluray release IMO

Specially the versatile music by Felice di Stefano in the latter is very good and sometimes when there are strings it reminds of his likewise nice music in Ramon the Mexican. And in both films there is a long dance performance with his appealing flamenco style music as well, although the there is not much of a dance in Go With God Gringo.

1 Like

Some smaller changes, for example El Puro now up to 8/10.

Some changes in my ranking and rating have ocurred, including one drastic since after watching Dead Men Ride for around the 10th time or so in 4 years I must confess that this very special SW was underrated by me at place 9 with its 8/!0-rating and deserves a 9/10-rating good for 3rd place on my SW Top list… I always look forward to watch it again.
I think it has nearly everything (and lacks all comedy, random shooting and barroom brawls). The interesting revenge story, the incredibly beautiful music by Bruno Nicolai, the very very serious “realistic” mood, the fine acting, the melodrama etc.
Maybe the Italian audio on the DVD-R gives Dead Men Ride an extra dimension of perceived art, so I am not sure English audio would be preferred in this special case if there ever will be an official Bluray/DVD release with English audio.

Vengeance For Vengeance have been uprated from 6/10 to 7/10.

1 Like

My personal SW Top list (6-10)/10 rating, updated as of Oct 17 2023.

10/10
1 For A Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1965
1 Once Upon A Time In The West (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1968

9/10

x3 Dead Men Ride/At The End Of The Rainbow (Aldo Florio) music Bruno Nicolai 1971
4 Django Kill If You Live Shoot (Giulio Questi) music Ivan Vandor 1967
5 A Fistful Of Dollars (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1964
6 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1966

8 /10

7 My Name Is Nobody (Tonino Valerii) music Ennio Morricone 1973
8 The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone 1967
9 Cemetery Without Crosses (Robert Hossein) music André Hossein 1969
10 Requiem For A Gringo/Duel In Eclipse (Eugenio Martín, José Luis Merino) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
11 Johnny Yuma (Romolo Guerrieri) music Nora Orlandi 1966
12 The Forgotten Pistolero/Gunman Of Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi) music Roberto Pregadio 1969
13 Kill The Wicked/ God Does Not Pay On Saturday (Tanio Boccia) music Angelo Lavagnino 1967
14 The Stranger Returns/A Man, A Horse, A Gun (Luigi Vanzi) music Stelvio Cipriani 1967
15 Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin (Ferdinando Baldi) music Gianfranco Reverberi 1968
x16 El Puro/The Reward’s Yours… The Man’s Mine (Edoardo Mulargia) music Alessandro Alessandroni 1969
17 The Big Silence/The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci) music Ennio Morricone 1968

7 /10

18 Death Rides A Horse (Giulio Petroni) 1967
19 Day Of Anger (Tonino Valerii) 1967
20 Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini) music Marcello Giombini 1969
21 My Name Is Pecos (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1966
x22 Blood River/Ten White Men and One Little Indian (Gianfranco Baldanello) music Piero Umiliani 1974
x23 Awkward Hands (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Antón García Abril 1970
x24 Pistoleros/Ballad Of A Gunman (Alfio Caltabiano) music Marcello Giombini 1967
25 The Return Of Ringo (Duccio Tessari) music Ennio Morricone 1965
26 A Stranger In Town/A Dollar Between The Teeth (Luigi Vanzi) 1967
27 Django (Sergio Corbucci) music Luis Bacalov 1966
x28 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago) 1967 music Nora Orlandi
x29 Challenge Of The Mackennas/Badlands Drifter/Amen/A Dollar and a Grave (León Klimovsky) music Francesco De Masi 1970
30 The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti) music Gianni Ferrio 1967
31 Johnny Hamlet/The Wild And The Dirty (Enzo G. Castellari) 1968
32 Ramon The Mexican (Maurizio Pradeaux) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
x33 Vengeance For Vengeance/Revenge For Revenge (Mario Colucci) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
34 Death Sentence (Mario Lanfranchi) 1968
35 No Room To Die/Hanging For Django/A Noose For Django (Sergio Garrone) music Vasili Kojucharov and Elsio Mancuso 1969
36 Requiescant/Kill And Pray (Carlo Lizzani) 1967
37 A Hole In The ForeHead/ A Hole Between The Eyes (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1968
x38 Garter Colt (Gian Rocco) music Giovanni Fusco and Gianfranco Plenizio 1968
39 A Gun For 100 Graves/Pistol For A Hundred Coffins (Umberto Lenzi) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
40 Fury Of Johnny Kid/Ride For A Massacre/Ultimate Gunfighter (Gianni Puccini) music Gino Peguri 1967
41 Blood At Sundown/One Thousand Dollars on the Black (Alberto Cardone) music Michele Lacerenza 1966
42 One After Another/Day After Tomorrow (Nick Nostro) music Fred Bongusto, Berto Pisano 1968
43 Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) 1968 music Robby Poitevin
44 Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing (Enzo Dell’Aquila) music Francesco De Masi 1968
45 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
x46 Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano 1967
47 Don’t Wait Django… Shoot! (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
x48 Go With God, Gringo (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
x49 Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo) music Daniele Patucchi 1971
50 The Grand Duel/Storm Rider/The Big Showdown (Giancarlo Santi) 1972
x51 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967
52 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1968
53 Face To Face (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone 1967

6/10

x54 John The Bastard (Armando Crispino) 1967
55 Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini 1969
56 A Pistol For Ringo (Duccio Tessari) 1965
x57 Sartana Does Not Forgive/Sonora (Alfonso Balcázar) music Francesco De Masi 1968
58 Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow/The Moment To Kill (Tonino Valerii) music Nico Fidenco 1966
59 Django The Bastard/The Stranger’s Gundown (Sergio Garrone) 1969
60 Yankee (Tinto Brass) 1966
61 Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci) music Ennio Morricone 1966
62 The Unholy Four/Chuck Moll (Enzo Barboni) 1970
63 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1967
64 May God Forgive You … But I Won’t (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1968
65 Any Gun Can Play (Enzo G. Castellari) music Francesco De Masi 1967
x66 Thunder Over El Paso/Revenge In El Paso (Roberto Bianchi Montero) 1972
67 Cjamango (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
68 The Brute And The Beast/Massacre Time (Lucio Fulci) music Coriolano Gori 1966
x69 Death Played the Flute /Requiem For A Bounty Killer/Requiem For A Bounty Hunter (Angelo Pannaccio) 1972
x70 Vengeance (Antonio Margheriti ) 1968
x71 Bandidos (Massimo Dallamano) 1967
x72 All Out / One for All / Copperface / Go for Broke ( Umberto Lenzi) music Marcello Giombini 1968
73 Cowards Don’t Pray/The Taste of Vengeance (Mario Siciliano) 1968
x74 Poker With Pistols (Giuseppe Vari) 1967
75 Dead Men Don’t Count/Cry For Revenge (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini 1968
76 Mannaja/A Man Called Blade (Sergio Martino) 1977
x77 Hey Amigo, You’re Dead/Hey Amigo ! A Toast To Your Death/Killer Amigo (Paolo Bianchini) music Carlo Savina 1970

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Personal Spaghetti Western Top - including many beyond the usual of only 20:

really like dead men ride , its probably in my top 5.

1 Like