Personal Spaghetti Western Top - including many beyond the usual of only 20

If there is a sufficient general interest, then this thread might be motivated.
Anyhow, here is my own current SW Top 68, with rating and the respective directors stated and if I like the music also the composer.
As a background I have watched these films somewhere between 3 to maybe 7-8 times each in 3 years, with the exceptions of the latest few additions.

As long as it is possible to edit this message I will update my list now and then, as I did May 5.

Anyone else who wants to post his/hers in depth top list in this thread of course may do so.

10/10

1 For A Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone) - music Ennio Morricone
2 Once Upon A Time In The West (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone

9/10

3 A Fistful Of Dollars (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone
4 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone

8 /10

5 My Name Is Nobody (Tonino Valerii) music Ennio Morricone
6 The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone
7 Django Kill If You Live Shoot (Giulio Questi) music Ivan Vandor
8 Cemetery Without Crosses (Robert Hossein) music André Hossein
9 Dead Men Ride/At The End Of The Rainbow/ (Aldo Florio) music Bruno Nicolai
10 Requiem For A Gringo/Duel In Eclipse (Eugenio Martín, José Luis Merino) music Angelo Lavagnino
11 Johnny Yuma (Romolo Guerrieri)
12 Kill The Wicked/ God Does Not Pay On Saturday (Tanio Boccia) music Angelo Lavagnino
13. The Stranger Returns/A Man, A Horse, A Gun (Luigi Vanzi) music Stelvio Cipriani

7 /10

14 Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin (Ferdinando Baldi) music Gianfranco Reverberi
15 The Big Silence/The Great Silence (Sergio Corbuccio) music Ennio Morricone
16 Death Rides A Horse (Giulio Petroni)
17 Day Of Anger (Tonino Valerii)
18 The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi)
19 Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini)
20 The Forgotten Pistolero/Gunman Of Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi) music Roberto Pregadio
21 Ramon The Mexican (Maurizio Pradeaux) music Felice Di Stefano
22 My Name Is Pecos (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori
23 Blood River/Ten White Men and One Little Indian (Gianfranco Baldanello) music Piero Umiliani
24 The Return Of Ringo (Duccio Tessari) music Ennio Morricone
25 Django (Sergio Corbucci)
26 Johnny Hamlet/The Wild And The Dirty (Enzo G. Castellari)
27 Death Sentence (Mario Lanfranchi)
28 No Room To Die/Hanging For Django/A Noose For Django (Sergio Garrone)
29 Requiescant/Kill And Pray (Carlo Lizzani)
30 A Stranger In Town/A Dollar Between The Teeth (Luigi Vanzi)
31 A Hole In The ForeHead/ A Hole Between The Eyes (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio
32 El Puro/The Reward’s Yours… The Man’s Mine (Edoardo Mulargia) music Alessandro Alessandroni
33 The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti) music Gianni Ferrio
34 Garter Colt (Gian Rocco) music Giovanni Fusco, Gianfranco Plenizio
35 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello)
36 Blood At Sundown/One Thousand Dollars on the Black (Alberto Cardone) music Michele Lacerenza
37 Awkward Hands (Rafael Romero Marchent)
38 A Gun For 100 Graves/Pistol For A Hundred Coffins (Umberto Lenzi) music Angelo Lavagnino
39 Fury Of Johnny Kid/Ride For A Massacre (Gianni Puccini)
40 One After Another (Nick Nostro)
41 Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini
42 Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi)
43 Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow (Tonino Valerii) music Nico Fidenco

6/10

44 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone
45 A Pistol For Ringo (Duccio Tessari)
46 The Unholy Four/Chuck Moll (Enzo Barboni)
47 Mannaja/A Man Called Blade (Sergio Martino)
48 Face To Face (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone
49 Django The Bastard/The Stranger’s Gundown (Sergio Garrone)
50 Yankee (Tinto Brass)
51 Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano
52 Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing (Enzo Dell’Aquila) music Francesco De Masi
53 Death at Owell Rock (6 p) (Riccardo Freda)
54 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Lallo Gori
55 Dead Men Don’t Count (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini
56 The Brute And The Beast/Massacre Time (Lucio Fulci) music Lallo Gori
57 Any Gun Can Play (Enzo G. Castellari) music Francesco De Masi
58 Challenge Of The Mckennas/A Dollar and a Grave (LeĂłn Klimovsky) music Francesco De Masi
59 Go With God, Gringo (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice di Stefano
60 Thunder Over El Paso/Revenge In El Paso (Roberto Bianchi Montero)
61 Cjamango (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano
62 May God Forgive You … But I Won’t (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano
63 Hey Amigo, You’re Dead/Hey Amigo ! A Toast To Your Death/Killer Amigo (Paolo Bianchini) music Carlo Savina
64 Vengeance For Vengeance/Revenge for Revenge (Mario Colucci) music Angelo Lavagnino
65 Don’t Wait, Django … Shoot! (6p) (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano
66 Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci) music Ennio Morricone
67 John The Bastard (Armando Crispino)
68 And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (Juan Bosch) music Bruno Nicolai
69 Death Walks In Laredo/Three Golden Boys/ The Pistol, The Karate And The Eye (Enzo Peri) music Marcello Giombini
70 El Rojo (Leopoldo Savona)
71 Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri)
72 Time Of Vultures/The Last Of The Badmen (Nando Cicero)
73 Two Crosses At Danger Pass (Rafael Romero Marchent)

3 Likes

That’s an Impressive List Indeed

I will have to add a bunch to my “To Watch List”

Thanks very Much for Posting :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like
3 Likes

Runner, you don’t have any of the revolution Spags on your list. Seems not to be your taste. You haven’t watched any, or were they just not good enough?

I have watched a few of them on Youtube but as you imply I have a big resistance to them. I found Duck, You Sucker to be well out of my appreciated type of story, style and mood, but maybe the Mercenary appeared slightly better to me (with its nice Morricone music). I probably also watched A Bullet For The General with similar feelings. It was nearly 3 years ago that I watched them so maybe I will try one again…

One of very few related SWs on my list is probably Requiescant but the revolutionary theme is more is just in the background, and Mark Damon is really so good I can’t resist than one. And the very different SW Carter Golt has also a little interference with revolution but it is not disturbing at all since the plot is varied.

It is in the bottom line just a matter of different tastes I guess, and the same goes for SWs directly related to the American civil war and Indian wars which though seldom constitute an important part of SWs as far as I know.

Maybe I dislike weapons since I don’t like extended wild shooting. But I also dislike fist fights including barroom brawls !

So I may seem to be the guy who likes spaghetti westerns without violence !? :wink: - no but in the right context and proportions…

2 Likes

Here is my top fifty.
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/User:Morgan
If I am to add ten more I guess something like these:
A Pistol for Ringo
The Dirty Outlaws
Have a Good Funeral, My Friend… Sartana Will Pay
If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death
Black Jack
Fury of Johnny Kid
Death Rides a Horse
Killer Kid
Django the Bastard
Night of the Serpent

3 Likes

None of Margheriti’s films on the list I see! You don’t like Vengeance and And God Said to Cain?

I only have watched Vengeance once on Youtube some years ago, but normally I wait to include such SWs on my list even if I in this case made a preliminary rating of 6/10. So it might be inluded later if/when I have bought a DVD-R. Richard Harrison is no favorite of mine even if he is OK as a leading actor in some good SWs.

And God Said To Cain I initially in my selection process excluded due to Kinski, who though was very effective in The Great Silence, but basically I don’t like his characters when they get to much space.
But since he for once is the antihero here, I will most likely watch it soon for the first time even if his face is a minus especially for an antihero IMO.

80 (6/10) and 152 in my exel sheet, :smiley:

You seem to be quite allergic to Sartana films too, and that is rather surprising seeing Sabata in nineteenth place…

Yes that is a relevant remark, but I early got “hooked on” Lee Van Cleef and his similar characters in SWs, and I still feel that Sabata is very entertaining and slightly related to the nice mood and style in Leone’s For A Few Dollars More.

Having watched two real Sartana SWs with Garko (who I like very much in Blood At Sundown as an “unreal” Sartana) already a couple of years ago I felt I could draw my preferred line there and until further notice exclude them since I was relatively new to the genre regarding non-Leone westerns and had so many other to explore.
By all this I probably do not exclude that I might return to them much later and explore them more thoroughly.

My only own DVD is Light The Fuse…Sartana Is Coming (Giuliano Carnimeo) which I rate 5 or 6 ?/10 and due to as I recall wrong aspect ratio, I have hesitated to watch it more than a couple of times.

1 Like

Of my current SW Top 79 (almost the list above but with some new additions and changes of positions) 84 % where released 1964-1969 and 16 % 1970-1977.

Very roughly 1964-1969 around or slightly less than 60 % of all the the SWs 1964-1978 were released and consequently around or slightly more than 40 % 1970-1978.

So obviously the newer SWs don’t appeal as much to me, and the explanation is that I don’t like simple comedy, slapstick etc (even if I think My Name Is Nobody is a (well known) gem for its deaper meaning with its self reflection of the “real (SW)western” world which the Henry Fonda character represented.)

The exact yearly distribution on my SW Top 79 is as follows : 1 1964, 3 1965, 12 1966, 24 1967, 18 1968, 8 1969, 4 1970, 2 1971, 3 1972, 2 1973, 1 1974, 1 1977.

Especially 1967 and 1968 I like as much as (at least) around 1/3 and 1/4 respectively of all SWs released each year.

1 Like

Since I during the last half year have more or less completed my search for entertaining SWs (worth watching several times) by stretching my buying criteria to include DVD-R:s (x-marked) when no official English friendly DVD or Bluray are available, my SW Top list now consists of 86 films rated 6/10 or higher.
The DVD-R:s are over represented in the 6/10 group and under represented the higher the rating, which could basically be interpreted as that the best SWs most likely already have an official release (IMO).

I don’t think my SW Top list will expand significantly from now on after my rather thorough selection process during the last 3 years, but several of the positions may shift if my taste changes etc.

10/10

1 For A Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1965
2 Once Upon A Time In The West (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1968

9/10

3 A Fistful Of Dollars (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1964
4 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Sergio Leone) music Ennio Morricone 1966

8 /10

5 My Name Is Nobody (Tonino Valerii) music Ennio Morricone 1973
6 The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone 1967
7 Django Kill If You Live Shoot (Giulio Questi) music Ivan Vandor 1967
8 Cemetery Without Crosses (Robert Hossein) music André Hossein 1969
x9 Dead Men Ride/At The End Of The Rainbow (Aldo Florio) music Bruno Nicolai 1971
10 Requiem For A Gringo/Duel In Eclipse (Eugenio Martín, José Luis Merino) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
11 Johnny Yuma (Romolo Guerrieri) 1966
12 Kill The Wicked/ God Does Not Pay On Saturday (Tanio Boccia) music Angelo Lavagnino 1967
13. The Stranger Returns/A Man, A Horse, A Gun (Luigi Vanzi) music Stelvio Cipriani 1967
14 Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin (Ferdinando Baldi) music Gianfranco Reverberi 1968
15 The Big Silence/The Great Silence (Sergio Corbuccio) music Ennio Morricone 1968
16 The Forgotten Pistolero/Gunman Of Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi) music Roberto Pregadio 1969

7 /10

17 Death Rides A Horse (Giulio Petroni) 1967
18 Day Of Anger (Tonino Valerii) 1967
19 The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi) 1972
20 Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini) 1969
21 Ramon The Mexican (Maurizio Pradeaux) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
22 My Name Is Pecos (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1966
x23 Blood River/Ten White Men and One Little Indian (Gianfranco Baldanello) music Piero Umiliani 1974
24 The Return Of Ringo (Duccio Tessari) music Ennio Morricone 1965
25 Django (Sergio Corbucci) 1966
x26 The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti) music Gianni Ferrio 1967
x27 Awkward Hands (Rafael Romero Marchent) music AntĂłn GarcĂ­a Abril 1970
28 Johnny Hamlet/The Wild And The Dirty (Enzo G. Castellari) 1968
29 Death Sentence (Mario Lanfranchi) 1968
30 No Room To Die/Hanging For Django/A Noose For Django (Sergio Garrone) 1969
31 Requiescant/Kill And Pray (Carlo Lizzani) 1967
32 A Stranger In Town/A Dollar Between The Teeth (Luigi Vanzi) 1967
33 A Hole In The ForeHead/ A Hole Between The Eyes (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1968
x34 El Puro/The Reward’s Yours… The Man’s Mine (Edoardo Mulargia) music Alessandro Alessandroni 1969
x35 Garter Colt (Gian Rocco) music Giovanni Fusco, Gianfranco Plenizio 1968
36 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1968
37 Blood At Sundown/One Thousand Dollars on the Black (Alberto Cardone) music Michele Lacerenza 1966
38 A Gun For 100 Graves/Pistol For A Hundred Coffins (Umberto Lenzi) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
39 Fury Of Johnny Kid/Ride For A Massacre (Gianni Puccini) 1967
x40 Pistoleros/Ballad Of A Gunman (Alfio Caltabiano) music Marcello Giombini 1967
41 One After Another/Day After Tomorrow (Nick Nostro) music Fred Bongusto, Berto Pisano 1968
42. Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) 1968
x43 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967

6/10

44 Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini 1969
45 Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow/The Moment To Kill (Tonino Valerii) music Nico Fidenco 1966
46 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
47 A Pistol For Ringo (Duccio Tessari) 1965
48 Mannaja/A Man Called Blade (Sergio Martino) 1977
49 Face To Face (Sergio Sollima) music Ennio Morricone 1967
50 Django The Bastard/The Stranger’s Gundown (Sergio Garrone) 1969
51 Yankee (Tinto Brass) 1966
x52 Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano 1967
x53 Go With God, Gringo (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
x54 Challenge Of The Mckennas/A Dollar and a Grave (LeĂłn Klimovsky) music Francesco De Masi 1970
x55 Vengeance For Vengeance/Revenge for Revenge (Mario Colucci) music Angelo Lavagnino 1968
56 Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing (Enzo Dell’Aquila) music Francesco De Masi 1968
57 The Unholy Four/Chuck Moll (Enzo Barboni) 1970
x58 When The Devil Holds A Gun/Colt In The Hand Of The Devil (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1973
x59 Death at Owell Rock (Riccardo Freda) 1967
60 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1967
x61 All Out / One for All / Copperface / Go for Broke ( Umberto Lenzi) music Marcello Giombini 1968
62 Dead Men Don’t Count/Cry for revenge (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini 1968
63 The Brute And The Beast/Massacre Time (Lucio Fulci) music Lallo Gori 1966
64 Any Gun Can Play (Enzo G. Castellari) music Francesco De Masi 1967
x65 Thunder Over El Paso/Revenge In El Paso (Roberto Bianchi Montero) 1972
66 May God Forgive You … But I Won’t (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1968
x67 Hey Amigo, You’re Dead/Hey Amigo ! A Toast To Your Death/Killer Amigo (Paolo Bianchini) music Carlo Savina 1970
x68 Don’t Wait Django… Shoot! (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
x69 Cjamango (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
70 Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci) music Ennio Morricone 1966
x71 John The Bastard (Armando Crispino) 1967
x72 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago) 1967
x73 Death Played the Flute /Requiem For A Bounty Killer/Requiem for a Bounty Hunter (Angelo Pannaccio) 1972
x74 Vengeance (Antonio Margheriti ) 1968
x75 Bandidos (Massimo Dallamano) 1967
76 And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (Juan Bosch) music Bruno Nicolai 1971
77 El Rojo (Leopoldo Savona) 1966
x78 Quintana: Dead or Alive (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1969
79 Death Walks In Laredo/Three Golden Boys/ The Pistol, The Karate And The Eye (Enzo Peri) music Marcello Giombini 1967
x80 Poker With Pistols (Giuseppe Vari) 1967
x81 Sartana Does Not Forgive/Sonora (Alfonso Balcázar) 1968
x82 Wrath of God (Alberto Cardone) music Michele Lacerenza 1968
x83 Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri) 1968
x84 No Graves On Boot Hill/Three Crosses Not to Die/Three Crosses of Death (Sergio Garrone) 1968
85 Time Of Vultures/Last Of The Badmen (Nando Cicero) 1967
86 Two Crosses At Danger Pass (Rafael Romero Marchent) 1967

2 Likes

I Appreciate your List

I use it to find Films I haven’t seen yet that don’t Suck

Thank you for your Effort

2 Likes

Here’s my list of all that I have seen, take the ranking with a grain of salt as it becomes very hard beyond a certain point.
The end section is those that I think somewhat fit but not enough to take a spot in the already tight list.

1 Like

Yes it becomes slightly arbitrarily probably which exact order you rank. But with time and some changes a list should be reasonable representive for your taste. Still my list of 43 SWs all with a 6/10 rating must be nearly impossible to rank exactly :slight_smile:

Your list covers an impressive proportion of all SWs, maybe around 40-50 % ?
Maybe in your case you could specify which SWs you rate 10/10, 9/10, 8/10, 7/10, 6/10 or 5/10(or lower) ? I only rank the good or better, that is 6/10 or higher.

1 Like

I will try, also having some with lower scores ranked higher will make it harder, but talking sws is alwayd fun so here goes, approxiamtely
1-30: 10/10, I’m generous with ratings
29-54: 9/10
55-189: 8/10, dont take my ratings too seriously, cowboys and guns and Im satisfied
180-239: 7/10
240-254: 6/10
255-269: 5/10
270-275: 4/10
276: 0/10, I HATE THIS MOVIE (La Belva)
The rest at the end I all enjoyed, but they dont fit enough for me to put them in the ranking. And sice I watch so many, these numbers will soon become obsolete, but its just in general. For that reason most numbers are rounded, I could recommend any in the top 220ish to any fan.

1 Like

One of these “ultimate spaghetti western lists” say I have seen so far 43%, I hope one day I will be able to see even those that are seemingly lost.

I am probably more narrow-minded, as I am with food :slight_smile:

1 Like

The link isn’t working for me :pensive:

1 Like