The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti, 1967)

After having watched it 3 times in 16 days I increase my rating of The Dirty Outlaws to 7/10 good for 32th place of my Top 60 just after El Puro but before Black Jack.
Andrea Giordana has some stiff or odd postures when he shoots so I came to think of his character in Johnny Hamlet (also 7/10) even if he probably was slightly more western like there.

2 Likes

I thought the plot for this one was weak, but I really loved the slimy, guileful protagonist and thought Andre Giordana did a fine job. I thought the villains were appropriately sadistic, as well. Theyā€™re the type of characters that make the protagonist sympathetic simply by being worse than them.

1 Like

Runner

Would love to see your Top 60 list
Could you post it for us pretty please :grin:

I would be glad to :slight_smile: but in what thread would be appropriate to do so ? A new one perhaps, orā€¦

Iā€™m new here so not sure where sorry

The similarities between The Dirty Outlaws and Kill The Wicked are striking. The ghost town is definitely the same location, but I am still not sure which.
It MIGHT even be the dissapeared western town in Colmenar Viejo, but location experts should know that or if it is another Italian western town near Rome. Maybe it could be identified through other SWs if it is the same town ad a background reveals something essential.

The beginning with the hanging scene and a leading criminal character gets saved by another criminal is also about the same in both films.
The Dirty Outlaws though alone has a twist in the end favouing criminal characters whereof one is the antihero.

Both films have unique music by Ferrio and Lavagino respectively.
The Dirty Outlaws was released just 1.5 months after Kill The Wicked.

The mood, original enjoyable plot and music, ressemblance to Kill The Wicked (contradiction there ?) and absence of comedy (maybe except for a barroom brawl) are main factors for my appreciation.
Giordana doesnā€™t really look like a desperado and has funny positioning in fights but he has a good face with some charisma.

I think I have watched it 4 times now, and like Kill The Wicked I get more hooked on it each time. The competion is high though, so it will still be 7/10 rated but with an increased rank to 26 on my SW Top 79 just before Johnny Hamlet.

See ā€˜Thompson 1880ā€™ thread, Replies #61 and 63 (you can also add ā€˜Kill Johnny Ringoā€™).

1 Like

Thanks JonathanCorbett ! I only had a very vague memory of that I had seen information regarding that western town on this web site.
Now I have made a note of that in the S.C.O. Studios (Acilia) Western Town were filmed among others :

The Dirty Outlaws, Kill the Wicked!, My Name Is Pecos, Killer Caliber .32, Turnā€¦ Iā€™ll Kill You, Kill Johnny Ringo,Vengeance for Vengeance, God Will Forgive My Gun, Death Sentence (the episode with Enrico Maria Salerno), part of Black Jack and part of The Greatest Robbery in the West.

I seem to appreciate a SW even more if, all things equal, I know many or all of locations also :slight_smile:

I suppose there is no recognisable trace of this town nowadays.

And Thompson 1880, of course. But certainly there are others.

Another one is The Stranger Returns.

I was watching Eye in the Labyrinth last night and seeing Rosemary Dexter put me in the mood to pull out The Dirty Outlaws. I think I appreciate this movie more each time I watch it. It is mean and ugly, and I mean that in a good way, in just the way a SW is supposed to be. It is a shame that Andrea Giordana didnā€™t make more movies in the genre because this film, Johnny Hamlet and Cost of Dying aka Taste of Death are all very enjoyable entries in my book.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t The Hellbenders released in early 1967? The coffin draped in the Confederate flag, and with deceptive contents, is suggestive.

I havenā€™t watched the Hellbenders but yes Feb 2, according to this practical site List of Spaghetti Western films - Wikipedia

thereā€™s also this practical site :smiley: haha Crudeli, I - The Spaghetti Western Database

2 Likes

Does anyone have the german DVD from Intergroove / Savoy? If so, how does it campare to the WE disc?

I do. Its great, imo. Never had the wild east one as it was hard to get hold of and is even harder now. If not for this release I would not have the film, so I am super appreciative of it. Plays in English, German and Italian, picture is good DVD quality. No complaints here.

1 Like

Ok thatā€™s great, I have Machine Gun Killers from the same label and it looks good also. I have seen some clips of TDO from the Macaroni Bible box which looks great, but that release is very hard to find and expansive aswell.

1 Like

Overdue for a BluRay this one :confused:

5 Likes

Again I can second @QuickDrawā€¦Iā€™ve never had the wild east one either but itā€™s always been a fine release in my eyes. Only complaint is if I remember right while it has the Italian audio, it doesnā€™t have any English subs :unamused:

Massivelyā€¦now that wild east have shut shop Iā€™m hoping somebody else will pick it up.

1 Like