Pecos Cleans Up / Pecos è qui: prega e muori! (Maurizio Lucidi, 1967)

Hear hear Tom. MNIP is an excellent, serious and gritty western - different from the hoard with the protagonist being a mexican gunslinger who has to deal both with revenge and the extra layer of racism that goes with the territory.
I found PCU painful, and never finished watching it. It was such a disappointment after it’s moody predecessor.

Good review though scherps. Different strokes… etc.

First time watching this Spagh after avoiding for a long time. Well, I didn’t like it that much. I was expecting something closer to MNIP but, this one turned out to be a cheap low- budget film. It’s got it’s moments and some nice gunplay from Woods but those three stupid looking Mariachis and their music ruins the film for me. 5/10

The villain El Supremo’s head quarter looks like a children’s edition of an Aztecan temple, situated in an Italian sandpit surrounded by fake cactuses. But despite all that enjoyable – a forerunner of Indiana Jones :wink:

Viewed this one again via the Wild East disc. Do prefer the first film, but this is a fun film if you get into the spirit of it. It is hard to find the spirit at times though :D. Its them Mexican dudes playing that bloody theme, seems like all the time, even though its not. El Supremo makes me laugh though with his head up his own arse, I am sure he would have been killed before the film was even made ;D.

1 Like

Very well described …

It’s quite likable compared to the movie I watched a few days ago, Il Mio nome è Scopone, etcetera

I didn’t finish watching this one. I enjoyed the first Pecos movie though. I was annoyed with the Wild East Blu Ray. I wish they’d have put it in a DVD case so that it’d fit with the rest of my WE discs.

I never really cared for Wild East’s numbering system anyways - their spines numbers don’t match the Collection #. I just sort em by title and format, so the Pecos disc is with my other spag blus.

I don’t care about their spine numbers, either. It’s just the fact that Pecos looks ridiculously small next to the others. I’m just too OCD.

Thought this was as good as the first… it did feel quite moody to me, especially when they get to El Supremo’s fortress… also El Supremo looks almost exactly like Steven Seagal, his red bandana looks pretty vibrant on blu-ray.

1 Like

Ha, ha, yes very true :smiley:

I have just watched the last of 4 SWs on a Koch release, Pecos Cleans Up. I had low expectations having read this forum thread before, but was slightly positive surprised today. It begins a bit comedy-like with the three silly looking mexican musicians and their not so attractive and rather annoying tune, but the movie then shifts towards a treasure hunt.

The music in the film soon gets a lot better later with more typical trumpets etc. The mix of lightheartness and seriousness in this SW remind me slightly of the mood in Death Walks In Laredo (6/10) where there also was an emperor-acting type to fight against as well as a hunt for a gold treasure, but maybe Pecos Cleans Up is a little bit more serious. Robert Woods as the mexican antihero is good and as fast on the draw as in his first Pecos movie My Name Is Pecos (at least a strong 6/10 after the first viewing) which I thought was a bit better, more moody.

There are a lot of landscapes scenes which I guess are shot in Italy.
At this stage I would rate Pecos Cleans Up as a 6/10,

Here we have another one that’s a bit like STARBLACK. More of an Adventure- Western than a typical Italo-Western. Quite different from the first PECOS film, but still very enjoyable. Robert Woods is back as the badass Mexican gunslinger, Pecos (even wearing the same clothes). But this time they plop him down in a more lighthearted adventure western. He teams up with three slightly goofy traveling musicians who have stumbled onto a map of the legendary Montezuma’s gold. ‘El Supremo’ and his gang hang out in an mountainside hideout and also are looking for the map to the treasure. So, of course, conflicts arise. Good pulpy fun. 6/10

1 Like

My first review on the forum so I thought I’d do it on a film that seems to have a really mixed reception. I can totally see why it has such a mix of opinions but personally, I really loved it. Overall, I prefer the more comic book-like Spag Westerns such as the Sabata or the Sartana films where the characters are more quirky and odd and the protagonist is cocky and cool. I really love Wood’s portrayal of Pecos in both films, but I like the version he plays in Pecos Cleans Up just a smidge more, mainly because he is a bit more talkative than in the first film. Although I can totally see why people prefer the first Pecos film as Woods plays a much more mysterious character, similar to Clint Eastwood in the Dollars films, I much prefer this iteration of Pecos as it gives me more cool Robert Woods moments. My favourite being the reveal of Pecos chilling with his feet up on Dona Romana’s throne. I really love the other characters too. The trio of musicians were funny without ever getting too annoying, and I like the three henchmen who all had their own unique character quirk, one being a fatty, one being a loverboy and one being lightning fast on the draw. The only character I didn’t like was Dona Romana himself as he didn’t really get much time to shine and felt like a very generic villain.

I REALLY love the plot though. Sure, it’s not really a fitting plot for a Western but that’s why I like it so much. It feels like a hybrid of a Western and an Indiana Jones films. It really helps this film stand out from other lower budget Spaghetti Westerns.

Overall, it obviously doesn’t hold a candle to something like the GBU or the Mercenary, but it is still a really fun SW for when your not in the mood for something serious.

3 Likes

Here you must mean the main villain El Supremo (played by Erno Crisa). Doña Ramona was the kidnapped good looking character (played by Luciana Gilli).

Overall I mostly agree with your positive opinion on Pecos Cleans Up, even if I am slightly more negative regarding the 3 musicians - or rather regarding their tune :slight_smile: I still rate is a 6/10, with My Name Is Pecos 7/10.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant, I thought it sounded wrong when I was writing it haha

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2022 thread:

1 Like

I loved the first Pecos so much that now I’m curious about this one, but reading the comments I might just skip it for now. Does not sound like my cup of tequila. Almost always when a western revolves around a treasure hunt I find it tedious and can’t get interested. Add to that the comedic style this one has and I think I will save this for a future rainy day, maybe when a better quality transfer is released. The WE blu ray looks pretty bad from the screenshots I’ve seen (yeah I know, it can be so much worse…).

I’m guessing the older Koch DVD release actually looks better than the WE blu ray. It looks like the WE blu is the exact same transfer as their DVD, and the Koch DVD is better than the WE DVD.

Didn’t see a DB link for this title in thread yet:

Same. I’ve had the Koch dvd for ages and despite watching and enjoying the first one recently haven’t bothered watching the second yet. Probably for the same reason.

It’s not a patch on the first one … but it’s strangely watchable - maybe 'cause it’s slightly ludicrous … think, ‘Fu Manchu meets Carry On Cowboy’ and you’re not far off the mark :wink:

7 Likes