Pecos Cleans Up / Pecos è qui: prega e muori! (Maurizio Lucidi, 1967)

Thought this was as good as the first… it did feel quite moody to me, especially when they get to El Supremo’s fortress… also El Supremo looks almost exactly like Steven Seagal, his red bandana looks pretty vibrant on blu-ray.

1 Like

Ha, ha, yes very true :smiley:

I have just watched the last of 4 SWs on a Koch release, Pecos Cleans Up. I had low expectations having read this forum thread before, but was slightly positive surprised today. It begins a bit comedy-like with the three silly looking mexican musicians and their not so attractive and rather annoying tune, but the movie then shifts towards a treasure hunt.

The music in the film soon gets a lot better later with more typical trumpets etc. The mix of lightheartness and seriousness in this SW remind me slightly of the mood in Death Walks In Laredo (6/10) where there also was an emperor-acting type to fight against as well as a hunt for a gold treasure, but maybe Pecos Cleans Up is a little bit more serious. Robert Woods as the mexican antihero is good and as fast on the draw as in his first Pecos movie My Name Is Pecos (at least a strong 6/10 after the first viewing) which I thought was a bit better, more moody.

There are a lot of landscapes scenes which I guess are shot in Italy.
At this stage I would rate Pecos Cleans Up as a 6/10,

Here we have another one that’s a bit like STARBLACK. More of an Adventure- Western than a typical Italo-Western. Quite different from the first PECOS film, but still very enjoyable. Robert Woods is back as the badass Mexican gunslinger, Pecos (even wearing the same clothes). But this time they plop him down in a more lighthearted adventure western. He teams up with three slightly goofy traveling musicians who have stumbled onto a map of the legendary Montezuma’s gold. ‘El Supremo’ and his gang hang out in an mountainside hideout and also are looking for the map to the treasure. So, of course, conflicts arise. Good pulpy fun. 6/10

1 Like

My first review on the forum so I thought I’d do it on a film that seems to have a really mixed reception. I can totally see why it has such a mix of opinions but personally, I really loved it. Overall, I prefer the more comic book-like Spag Westerns such as the Sabata or the Sartana films where the characters are more quirky and odd and the protagonist is cocky and cool. I really love Wood’s portrayal of Pecos in both films, but I like the version he plays in Pecos Cleans Up just a smidge more, mainly because he is a bit more talkative than in the first film. Although I can totally see why people prefer the first Pecos film as Woods plays a much more mysterious character, similar to Clint Eastwood in the Dollars films, I much prefer this iteration of Pecos as it gives me more cool Robert Woods moments. My favourite being the reveal of Pecos chilling with his feet up on Dona Romana’s throne. I really love the other characters too. The trio of musicians were funny without ever getting too annoying, and I like the three henchmen who all had their own unique character quirk, one being a fatty, one being a loverboy and one being lightning fast on the draw. The only character I didn’t like was Dona Romana himself as he didn’t really get much time to shine and felt like a very generic villain.

I REALLY love the plot though. Sure, it’s not really a fitting plot for a Western but that’s why I like it so much. It feels like a hybrid of a Western and an Indiana Jones films. It really helps this film stand out from other lower budget Spaghetti Westerns.

Overall, it obviously doesn’t hold a candle to something like the GBU or the Mercenary, but it is still a really fun SW for when your not in the mood for something serious.

3 Likes

Here you must mean the main villain El Supremo (played by Erno Crisa). Doña Ramona was the kidnapped good looking character (played by Luciana Gilli).

Overall I mostly agree with your positive opinion on Pecos Cleans Up, even if I am slightly more negative regarding the 3 musicians - or rather regarding their tune :slight_smile: I still rate is a 6/10, with My Name Is Pecos 7/10.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant, I thought it sounded wrong when I was writing it haha

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2022 thread:

1 Like

I loved the first Pecos so much that now I’m curious about this one, but reading the comments I might just skip it for now. Does not sound like my cup of tequila. Almost always when a western revolves around a treasure hunt I find it tedious and can’t get interested. Add to that the comedic style this one has and I think I will save this for a future rainy day, maybe when a better quality transfer is released. The WE blu ray looks pretty bad from the screenshots I’ve seen (yeah I know, it can be so much worse…).

I’m guessing the older Koch DVD release actually looks better than the WE blu ray. It looks like the WE blu is the exact same transfer as their DVD, and the Koch DVD is better than the WE DVD.

Didn’t see a DB link for this title in thread yet:

Same. I’ve had the Koch dvd for ages and despite watching and enjoying the first one recently haven’t bothered watching the second yet. Probably for the same reason.

It’s not a patch on the first one … but it’s strangely watchable - maybe 'cause it’s slightly ludicrous … think, ‘Fu Manchu meets Carry On Cowboy’ and you’re not far off the mark :wink:

7 Likes

I have had it on the pile since I watched the first…should get to it eventually.

Watched this tonight and I actually loved it. From the comments I was expecting the usual slapstick styled comedy common to spaghettis and which I don’t care for at all, but I really found this film quite charming and was surprised to find more of the type of spaghetti scenes I love than expected. I guess I really just love the Pecos character and it was enjoyable to watch another Pecos film.

I liked this so much, I think I’d be adding it to my alt. top 20

4 Likes

I think you are right about the Pecos character, it’s one of Woods’ best, and I don’t think this one would be half as good without him. Although the first is clearly the better of the two, his presence certainly elevates this film.

2 Likes

Totally agreed. Robert Woods is a huge part of both films’ success

Also, here’s a comparison between the Koch DVD & Wild East BD. The Wild East transfer is 2.40 & has a bit more picture on the sides. This Koch transfer is 2.35 & has slightly more vertical picture:

WE Top / Koch Bottom

This movie’s page in the database has been updated to the new 3.0 format. Please report any errors or additions, like texts, reviews, pictures, facts, links, etc.

1 Like

New poll for this one, too, top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up:

Thought this was quite poor. Difficult to sit through.

Looked really cheap. Half of it was in a sand pit, the rest on some cardboard cave sets left over from what looked like a Fu Manchu movie. The chief villain even dressed a bit like Fu Manchu. Strange that the tone was so different than the first movie.

It was released only 3m after the first movie so must have been started before the first one was released (they can’t have waited for the overseas gross of the first movie before starting this). Did they have a couple of spare weeks after the first one finished? Woods must have done this instead of the MacGregors sequel and didn’t want to admit his error in interviews so claimed he didn’t get on with Agatha Flory.

1 Like

In his autobiography Castellari reveals that on the set of I Came, I Saw, I Shot a.k.a. One Dollar Too Many there were strong tensions and arguments between Antonio Sabàto and Agata Flori because she, as partner of the producer Dario Sabatello (who also produced the McGregor films), used to behave in an overbearing way.

2 Likes

That’s interesting.

I wondered why, if they had disagreements, the producers would favour her over him. Had assumed it would have been his cost.