Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:40, topic:322”]This is my favourite movie of all time - leave it alone i say.

It would be nice to see the missing footage as extras but not in the film, it would be like someone adding stuff to the Mona Lisa![/quote]
Ah, that is just what I meant above.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:39, topic:322”]Uh, it makes me sick of even thinking about it. It’s ok to see films as they were meant to be (as a director’s cut) but I can’t understand all this re-touching of films and adding of new scenes. I liked old Star Wars films for instance but I can’t stand 'em anymore since Lucas added those awful scenes which look bad and doesn’t add anything important to them.

by the way, what’s wrong with the fly? It is real one, isn’t it?[/quote]
Don’t worry it’s not going to happen :wink:

It’s a real fly but when it is “crawling” up the side of the wooden bench its legs aren’t moving (it’s dead), someone is controlling it in order to get the shot.

Well, the only reason those scenes got added to GBU was because they dubbed it, so they could justify it by putting it on TV and calling it “the definitive version of the movie.” It’s a rare sort of deal. With the prinicple actors of OUATIW mostly passed away (the last one was dubbed by someone else anyway!), there’s really no point in doing it.

Five stars? TEN! :smiley:

This is one of the world’s best films. Beautiful and like good wine. With very years better and better.

I said my bit on "Leone Rules".   This movie is beyond "spaghetti".                                                                                                    
Actually, I expected Mr. Choo-choo to gasp "Rosebud!".

What can you say about the best movie every made.

I would agree this is among the best…storyline and cinematography is fantastic. The opening is superb.

As much as I like the music however, by sticking to the basic 4 themes it was limiting, in my opinion. Good music of course and a great idea to have each major character have a theme it did not seem to fit at all times.

Still 5 stars, with the above exceptions.

I love the hell out of this film. I’m actually going to monument valley tomorrow

[quote=“Sebastian, post:48, topic:322”]I love the hell out of this film. I’m actually going to monument valley tomorrow[/quote]WOW! Can you take some pics and post them :slight_smile:

I just noticed someone has given this film 1 star!!!

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but surely this is sabotage!!!

Send out a posse to lynch 'em!

As a band aid I’ve just given the movie 5 stars like it deserves… One of the first if not the first spaghetti western I watched… Certainly the one I’ve watched the most times and definitely in my Top 5.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:50, topic:322”]I just noticed someone has given this film 1 star!!!

Send out a posse to lynch 'em![/quote]

Yea! Run 'em out of town on a pole! Heresy!

Bring a wide angle lens for your camera so that you can take lot’s of breathtaking Leonesque landscape shots. And then post 'em like Yodlaf suggests. Have a great time out there Amigo. I am green with envy.

You’re not alone in your envy. I guess every western-fan wants to be there at least once.

took some great pictures. maybe i have them ready by next week. monument valley was amazing…

I love the shots in monument valley. Did you meet Claudia Cardinale in a little bar?? And could you help her to a bath?
Did i mention this movie is the best, and in rating there should only be given the option to give 5 stars, i mean from the admin!

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:50, topic:322”]I just noticed someone has given this film 1 star!!!

Send out a posse to lynch 'em![/quote]

Sorry about that. I’ve just never been able to get into this film. Yeah, the music and cinematography might be great, but other than that… I dunno, i just drift off whenever it’s on. The single star was probably a bit harsh tho. Must have been a bad night… :-\

OK, just to clarify things a bit; if i could change the rating, on reflection i probably would, but i suppose it was kind of a backlash over the whole “canon” Sw’s. Elsewhere, someone mentioned that the stranger westerns (ie; Django Kill/Matalo etc) probably have a bit of a following simply because of their reputations and i actually think this is true with the well known ones too. Whenever a book or article is written about the genre it tends to focus solely on these films, which i think is a bit unfair, and insular, especially when there are so many of these films out there. And so, a lot of fans also focus mainly on these films. Yes, they are the best made ones, but we can’t all like the same things. I tend to like particular actors also, and to be honest, Bronson and Fonda aren’t really among them. I love the Dollar westerns but they aren’t my [i]favourites[i]. I prefer the more off kilter stuff. So…lynch away, but i can’t force myself to like the film! :frowning:

[quote=“Silver, post:57, topic:322”]Sorry about that. I’ve just never been able to get into this film. Yeah, the music and cinematography might be great, but other than that… I dunno, i just drift off whenever it’s on. The single star was probably a bit harsh tho. Must have been a bad night… :-\

OK, just to clarify things a bit; if i could change the rating, on reflection i probably would, but i suppose it was kind of a backlash over the whole “canon” Sw’s. Elsewhere, someone mentioned that the stranger westerns (ie; Django Kill/Matalo etc) probably have a bit of a following simply because of their reputations and i actually think this is true with the well known ones too. Whenever a book or article is written about the genre it tends to focus solely on these films, which i think is a bit unfair, and insular, especially when there are so many of these films out there. And so, a lot of fans also focus mainly on these films. Yes, they are the best made ones, but we can’t all like the same things. I tend to like particular actors also, and to be honest, Bronson and Fonda aren’t really among them. I love the Dollar westerns but they aren’t my [i]favourites[i]. I prefer the more off kilter stuff. So…lynch away, but i can’t force myself to like the film! :([/quote]

So many spaghetti westerns are underated which is a shame, as like you say there are so many out there!

Books are good, but their is nothing like watching a film yourself and making up your own mind.

[quote=“Silver, post:57, topic:322”]Sorry about that. I’ve just never been able to get into this film. Yeah, the music and cinematography might be great, but other than that… I dunno, i just drift off whenever it’s on. The single star was probably a bit harsh tho. Must have been a bad night… :-\

OK, just to clarify things a bit; if i could change the rating, on reflection i probably would, but i suppose it was kind of a backlash over the whole “canon” Sw’s. Elsewhere, someone mentioned that the stranger westerns (ie; Django Kill/Matalo etc) probably have a bit of a following simply because of their reputations and i actually think this is true with the well known ones too. Whenever a book or article is written about the genre it tends to focus solely on these films, which i think is a bit unfair, and insular, especially when there are so many of these films out there. And so, a lot of fans also focus mainly on these films. Yes, they are the best made ones, but we can’t all like the same things. I tend to like particular actors also, and to be honest, Bronson and Fonda aren’t really among them. I love the Dollar westerns but they aren’t my [i]favourites[i]. I prefer the more off kilter stuff. So…lynch away, but i can’t force myself to like the film! :([/quote]

Silver, no need for apologies. If we all had the same opinions life would be very dull. And besides, you make a good point. I think sometimes films can become canonised and therefore we are all expected to agree that they are wonderful without questioning.

Having said all that, I am still a big fan of OUATITW and it gets 5 stars from me. However, I actually prefer the dollar films as I think they are tighter. Some of the sequences in OUATITW are without doubt Leone at his very best, but the film does drag a bit in places and I think as he tried to do bigger and bigger films as time went on he may have overstretched himself in places to the detriment of the story and its pacing.

Maybe we’ve opened a can of worms here but I think it is worthy of debate.

As for the lynching, anyone who has seen ‘The Oxbow Incident’ couldn’t be a party to that!

[quote=“Phil H, post:59, topic:322”]Silver, no need for apologies. If we all had the same opinions life would be very dull. And besides, you make a good point. I think sometimes films can become canonised and therefore we are all expected to agree that they are wonderful without questioning.

Having said all that, I am still a big fan of OUATITW and it gets 5 stars from me. However, I actually prefer the dollar films as I think they are tighter. Some of the sequences in OUATITW are without doubt Leone at his very best, but the film does drag a bit in places and I think as he tried to do bigger and bigger films as time went on he may have overstretched himself in places to the detriment of the story and its pacing.

Maybe we’ve opened a can of worms here but I think it is worthy of debate.

As for the lynching, anyone who has seen ‘The Oxbow Incident’ couldn’t be a party to that![/quote]

The film is good.

But all the discussion on this film does overshadow other films at times.