Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

Wasn’t Leone a big fan of Fonda? I think he wanted to cast him already in the Dollars films but wasn’t able to.

I’m actually not a great admirer of OUATITW but I think Fonda fits very well in the film, regardless of shock value (at the time).

As you know he was also in My name is Nobody but he could have made even more spaghettis I think, would have been good.

John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart would probably not have been as suitable in spaghettis, even if they had agreed to play. Or am I wrong?

I think you could say that Fonda had a certain something about him that made him very well suited for spaghettis, exactly like the other ex-Hollywood stars who found a new career in SWs in Europe in the 60s and 70s.

Like Lee Van Cleef and Jack Palance for example, men with a certain look and a great charisma!!

Don’t you agree?

i’m not disregarding your opinion but OUATITW is not only my favourite western but my favourite film of alll time.
The perfect cinematography, the beautiful music, this might sound strange but it’s the only film i can get lost in. :slight_smile:

I can watch it over and over!

It’s also the movie I’ve seen most in cinema. 10 times minimum.
No problem in Germany, where it is one of the great cult movies, and where it was a great success. About 13 million people watched it theatrically, more than Star Wars, Potter, LotR and other boring crap which always attracts the mainstream audiences.
Incredible for a film many spectators even didn’t manage to understand, or were bored by it’s slowness.
Likewise 2001, a year before.

Same here :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dorado, post:19, topic:322”]John Wayne would never have agreed to play that character. He like so many other hollywood stars were/are very aware of their image and chooses the films they take part in with great care so they don’t ruin that image.[/quote]Wayne wouldn’t probably agree to play villain but he had already made few roles where he played the anti-hero type, most notably in searchers where he is an outlaw and racist.

John Wayne was well known for being a bigot in real life.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:27, topic:322”]John Wayne was well known for being a bigot in real life.[/quote]wow! i’d like to know where you heard that, i’ve read lots of articles on wayne and a biography of his life and i’ve never heard this.I know he made the remark that black people should quit blaming racism for all thier problems,if this makes him a bigot then so is bill cosby and shelby steele (both black men).This is a paragraph from Michael Munn’s biography of Wayne…"He said people were always criticizing him for killing indians,but he actually rarely did.He said “I killed far more white men than indians.I like the opportunity to show the nobility of the red man”…And if i’m not mistaken all three of his wives were latin. I really get tired of how people have certain unwarranted views about wayne,and i think a lot of it is simply because he was conservative.

Look on the imdb,i did read somewhere that he shot or smashed his tv (can’t remember which) because a black person was on it!

I found this in a list of John Wayne quotes.

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to the point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

also this little snippet

Wayne appeared in a very uncomplimentary light in the Public Enemy song “Fight the Power,” Wayne has frequently come under fire for racist remarks he made about black people and Native American Indians in his infamous Playboy magazine interview from May 1971. He was also criticized for supporting Senator Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential election, after Goldwater had voted against the Civil Rights Act, and for supporting the segregationist Governor of Alabama George Wallace in 1968.

Trust me, i wouldn’t make this shit up

:slight_smile:

Just my words, I would never usem them in racial discussions thoug.

Of course that’s what happens every election in a democracy :wink:

By the way, I am of the opinion that ‘Once Upon…’ isn’t long enough. I would have loved to watch these characters do their slow dance of death to the beautiful music for eons and eons. I could live to be a 100 years and die a happy man.

5 Stars, easy. This is a pure masterpiece… I don’t want to say it’s not as good as GBU, but I prefer GBU. I said GBU trascended the genre, and I feel this one does too.

as i have probably posted many times, this is my favourite western,the music, the cinematography,beautiful.
GBU comes a very close second though.

between GBU, and Once upon… its hard to take a choise, in GBU we got, Il Triello, the duel, tuco, the photography in Once Upon, the harmonic history is awsome, it got feelings, and the zoom out when harmonic young its playin his harmonic, the music, damm, its so perfect, on another day i leave you my favorite.
So about, this one, 5 stars, and it doesnt difficult to said it wahahahaha…!

Adios…

IMO the greatest motion picture ever made and probably ever will be. A film I have watched more times than any other and I still enjoy it now as much as the first time I saw it. Perfect, however there is one obvious continuity error in it (apart from the magnetic fly).
In Christopher Frayling’s book “Cowboys And Europeans” on p273 there are a couple of photos of Harmonica in OUATITW. In one he is getting beaten up, in the following pages the book goes on to desribe this missing scene (one of eight filmed by Leone that didn’t make it into the finished film). The scene takes place instead of the one substituted, the scene in the Chinese laundry with Harmonica beating Wobbles up. Basically after Wobbles offers Harmonica a room in his home above the laundry, Harmonica is resting there when a young Mexican woman (Wobbles’ wife) enters and starts to massage his feet. Suddenly three strange men are in the room, one man grabs Harmonica, another smashes his knee into Harmonica’ face and the third kicks him out of the room and down the stairs. The scene then goes on, Harmonica comes too and has to explain to the Sherriff (the three strange men were Deputies) standing over him that the duster he carries with him was taken from another man. They had believed Harmonica was one of Cheyenne’s men and responsible for the McBain’s slaughter, but when Harmonica puts on the duster, it is clearly too small for him, he’s not one of the men they’re after.
Ok so this scene is not necessary to explain the fact Harmonica isn’t one of Cheyenne’s men and the scene it is replaced by does point out Frank could not meet Harmonica at the railway station as Wobbles had arranged, due to him being at the McBain’s ranch. However it does explain the mysterious graze Harmonica has on his left cheek in his following scene (the continuity error). I think it would have been be good if the scene could somehow have remained in the original cut. Does anyone agree/disagree?

No,
this is one of the scenes, that shouldn’t be integrated in the film.

It doesn’t fit.
It,s better to erase the graze digitally, or much better leave it at it is. Who care’s?

If Leone was alive today and these eight scenes still existed, I think we would be getting a “Director’s Cut” of the film with them in (or at least a version with the graze “photoshoped” out and a more realistic fly), along with “Directors Cuts” of his other films. After all there was barely a home entertainment market for his films when he was alive, if he was still around I think he would have embraced it and the technology available today. I wouldn’t want anyone else messing with them though either, I care.

1 Like

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:38, topic:322”]If Leone was alive today and these eight scenes still existed, I think we would be getting a “Director’s Cut” of the film with them in (or at least a version with the graze “photoshoped” out and a more realistic fly), along with “Directors Cuts” of his other films. After all there was barely a home entertainment market for his films when he was alive, if he was still around I think he would have embraced it and the technology available today. I wouldn’t want anyone else messing with them though either, I care.[/quote]Uh, it makes me sick of even thinking about it. It’s ok to see films as they were meant to be (as a director’s cut) but I can’t understand all this re-touching of films and adding of new scenes. I liked old Star Wars films for instance but I can’t stand 'em anymore since Lucas added those awful scenes which look bad and doesn’t add anything important to them.

by the way, what’s wrong with the fly? It is real one, isn’t it?

This is my favourite movie of all time - leave it alone i say.

It would be nice to see the missing footage as extras but not in the film, it would be like someone adding stuff to the Mona Lisa!