Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

Well, its okay to have different opinions, but 1 star??? even the cheapest spaghetti would get 2 from me.

I guess the slow pace allways comes up in discussion about this one. I think it is what this movie makes so special. the long introduction of the characters. even of the ones that are directly killed in the beginning.
But i see why some dislike it. it is overlong not much really happens. but i like how little you know at the beginning and how it is all unravelled. and i would say it is not a typical spaghetti. no real twist, few action scenes. not real shootouts. And it is worlds away from the dollar films. after seeing the films of the so called once upon a time films(once upon a time the revolution aka duck you sucker; once upon a time in america, ouatitw) i understand why they are called a trilogy sometimes. they resemble each other more than ouatitw resembles the dollar films in my opinion.
What is your thought on this trilogy idea???

but i love this movie, so i am in for the lynch posse. let silver stand on the shoulder of harmonica!
no offense just kidding. ;D :wink:

p.s. the point of all the attention is on the big films so everbody loves them can also be turned around. Because that is also the reason why so many people like talk bad on them. they allways come with the overrated term. so it is also quite fashionable to dislike tarantino these days just because he is considered cult. But in general it might come down to the point of expection. i am also harder on films from them i expect a lot, for example great silence, which i didnt like too much.

Your point about expectations is a good one Valenciano. When a film maker has raised the bar to such an extent it does lead us to judge them by their own high standards. In contrast, a film that you have no preconceptions about can be such a pleasant surprise that you wind up over rating it. Or at least being more forgiving of its faults.

Having said all that OUATITW is still one of my favourite films of all time despite its slower pacing. The opening scene on its own is enough to win me over. I just can’t condone a lynching for Silver. Maybe a long prison term?

Or a good tarring and feathering maybe???

Well…you’re welcome to try :stuck_out_tongue:

And just to clear up another point made earlier…this isn’t some kind of anti Leone fashion statement. The film just doesn’t hold my attention is all.

I have to agree that the slow pacing can make it hard going to sit through. You have to be in a certain frame of mind to really enjoy it.

[quote=“Silver, post:64, topic:322”]Well…you’re welcome to try :stuck_out_tongue:

And just to clear up another point made earlier…this isn’t some kind of anti Leone fashion statement. The film just doesn’t hold my attention is all.[/quote]
just out of curiosity and for the opening of the discussion what great movies you do not like. do you have the attention of “the godfather” it is also slowpaced and is also named by my friends when it comes to which film made you sleep(literally): allways the same answers: godfather part 1 and OUATITW

If this one was aimed at me…i can’t say, never having seen any of the Godfather films :-\

I have met several people who think this film is crap.

Other people I have met think it’s a masterpiece.

If we all liked a film as much as another person to the same degree all the time, the world would be a rather boring place.

I think there must something be wrong with a film that everybody likes.

Good films are always controversial, and it’s ok to hate a film for the same reason somebody else likes it.

The significance of OUTW is not that some (or many) guys hate this film, which means nevertheless they are not indifferent against it, but that so many really consider it as one of the best films ever.
Me too.

[quote=“stanton, post:69, topic:322”]I think there must something be wrong with a film that everybody likes.

Good films are always controversial, and it’s ok to hate a film for the same reason somebody else likes it.

The significance of OUTW is not that some (or many) guys hate this film, which means nevertheless they are not indifferent against it, but that so many really consider it as one of the best films ever.
Me too.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. And i also DO agree that it is a VERY well made film. But once again, i really don’t HATE it. It may have seemed that way with the one star thing, but really, it isn’t the case.

Yeah it is very well done, OUATITW in my opinion is Leone’s best.

it is the archetypical western, as American as he could make it, yet distinctly spaghetti-ish, with epic scenes, a great story, awesome production design and great actors. and the music!!

but no, i didnt meet lovely Claudia in monument valley…

one question to this one? Why does cheyenne attack mortons train? i mean the whole sequence misses, how is he set free? we see frank arriving at the massacre without knowing what happened and we learn from cheyenne that chocho shot him. i font get why they attacked the train. maybe they saw his weakness after frank had other business and smelled the money.

Well, like much of the film, this is left ambiguous but I think your guess is a very good one…

Who was the one who gave 1 stars?! >:(
Heretic! Burn him! ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote=“Jill, post:75, topic:322”]Who was the one who gave 1 stars?! >:(
Heretic! Burn him! ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

We’ve been through this one earlier in the thread; already apologised; already admitted that if i did it again the rating would be a litle higher. That rating didn’t reflect music, cinematography etc…just personal entertainment value, plain and simple. Anyway…i guess it did provoke a lot of furious discussion and a couple of new threads…

[quote=“flynnparadox, post:74, topic:322”]Well, like much of the film, this is left ambiguous but I think your guess is a very good one…[/quote]I think that this, besides the wounds of Harmonica that are explained by the cutting of a scene where he is beaten up; is the only thing to wonder. i think i saw somewhere that they cut it out too, maybe heard it on the audio commentary??? well it adds to the tension of the final duell when all the major players of the movie meet finally.

I always thought that this not seen shoot-out happened when Cheyenne’s men freed him. Their is a dialogue which indicates that Cheyenne thougt he would be imprisoned in the local jail, so his men had to improvise when he was brought instead to the train.
But I’m not sure if this is the same train where Morton has his personal wagon.

If it was the same one, that would explain everything

[quote=“alk0, post:79, topic:322”]If it was the same one, that would explain everything[/quote]yes that would explain it. but it is not very likely, since it is his private train. and you see cheyennes men buy onewy tickets to the nest station for the train, so i think it is the same train.
which is not mortons train, it can be seen in this scene. There happens a lot of stuff in a short time of filming: cheyenne send to jail, is freed by his people, goes to morton and attacks the train, and gets wounded
what we see: frank talking to harmonica about the land; then fighting with the men of morton; and then he goes to morton(how does he find his train, when it was attacked in the middle of the desert, but this is someting else)and finds him and the remains of the massacre. i feel that this massacre and the freeing of cheyenne needed more time than frank talking and killing his men. but who knows