Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

Even though the pace is fairly slow, there’s a lot of back story and detail which probably doesn’t register on the first or even second viewing - It’s good that you shared your thoughts and hopefully you’ll get more out of it the next time … if there is one? :wink:

1 Like

There just might be! …but first, I got to take @LankyGringo’s suggestion up on White Comanche. Morbid curiosity kicking in. :laughing:

1 Like

You’ll be sorry! :wink:

3 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

For this one in particular there are some question marks in the credits, can someone solve them? Also, we have no VHS covers to speak of.

‘Claudio Scarchilli (deputy ?, scenes cut)’
For this one, probably not. Claudio is credited but doesn’t appear. The only clue as far as I know is this:

The sheriff (Keenan Wynn) and the deputies are present so he appears to be with them but no confirmation.

1 Like

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Starts about half way in, how have I never seen this… or maybe I dont remember

2 Likes

Someting from the BR forums

Paramount does not own the Italian cut and only controls distribution in most places. A firm called Euro International Films owns distribution rights in Italy and holds the OCN (which Paramount uses for constructing their restored international versions). The new 4k HDR restoration is of the 168 min cut and was carried out by Ritrovata (though Paramount handled the color grading). (Source)

Not sure how well informed that is but it a) confirms my fears that whatever Paramount will do or be able to accomplish, it’ll end up only being the international cut. However, the detail of this remark makes it sound like the restoration has already been done, so we may see a release in Italy, too…

1 Like

Hmm, but unlike GBU there is no international version in this case.

There was only one theatrical version, and it seems now that it was the same in Italy, Germany, France and for some months also in the USA. And in all other countries which showed the uncut version.
All shorter versions were cut down from this version. Like in the UK and several later theatrical versions in the USA.

But when Paramount tried to reconstruct this version in the early 80s (their original uncut master from 1969 was either lost or destroyed) they made 3 small mistakes, and these mistakes are as it seems still part of the Paramount master until today.

And there is a 178 min version distributed on home media in Italy, a kind of special version. It would be nice to have this released outside Italy too, but not to substitute the 165 min (or 168 min with exit music). That 178 min version could be a beautiful bonus disc on further releases.

And it would be even more beautiful when Paramount would just “repair” their master, before a new scan is made.

That’s again in short the story of the unnecessarily different OuTW masters.

but if I understand the above quote correctly, it’s not their master that’s being corrected, but a new 4K scan done from the OCN in Italy, and then Paramount uses that to cut “their” version (in this case best case scenario the original theatrical version without the screwed up ending etc), while the Italians who sit on the negatives will release likely whatever longest version they have on the assumption that that’s how it premiered?

Maybe, but the Italians have released on disc so far only this long version (which is a bit inferior to the theatrical version) or oddly also the Paramount version, when they released a shorter version.

Paramount version on an Italian Blu:
https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/1660,373437,Spiel-mir-das-Lied-vom-Tod/

178 min version on DVD:
https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/1660,257543,Spiel-mir-das-Lied-vom-Tod/

The only thing wrong with the ending is that it features the wrong score for the last 2 min. (and that should really be easy to fix)
And there are about 70 sec missing in the opening sequence.
And of course the so called “Rising scene” should be cut out.

And then we have the original 1968 version, which I have watched countless times in the cinema, on TV and even from VHS (a terrible full screen version)

Ok then, in a perfect world they would make in Italy a 4k scan of the original theatrical version and of the special long version.
And Parmount would relase this here together with the long version on a bonus disc.

And all with English audio, and with Italian audio, and with subs translated from the Italian audio. And of course with all other main dubs.

I’m sure Plaion or Explosive would do that, if they were allowed to. Or Criterion.

Sounds like we’re dodging a bullet here at least?

Otherwise I’d expect us to be getting something like this:

Maybe I’m exaggerating a little… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

looks accurate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Needs more yellow

3 Likes

Love it when someone pisses on the negative. Even better when people try and justify the yellow MGM blu-ray. Hilarious.

1 Like

So in the Bluray.com forum there is some talk about the various 4K editions and restorations already available thru vudu, hulu and recently a screening (digital/stream) by Scorsese’s Film Foundation, which screenshots. Seems like the music error in the credits is still not fixed… I wonder if anyone with brains is working at Paramount…

2 Likes

Honestly, if they cannot properly present this masterpiece, I will continue to stick with the DVD.

we should write an open letter, summarizing the core demands of the fan community :slight_smile: adressed to the Paramount CEO

2 Likes

Specs out!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/C'era_una_volta_il_West/BluRay#USA

2 Likes