November 2023 recap - that was this year's #Spagvemberfest

Welcome to the November 2023 :incoming_envelope: newsletter from the Spaghetti Western Database, your regular newsletter of what happened last month in the world of European westerns. Today is also the first day of #Spagvemberfest!

How to receive this newsletter automatically: Read instructions here on how to receive this to your inbox or notifications :mailbox_with_mail: newsletter. Contact us if you have any questions or news/rumors/contributions.

:newspaper: NEW STUFF IN AND AROUND THE SWDB IN :spiral_calendar: NOVEMBER 2023:

:jack_o_lantern: :tada: Spagvemberfest 2023 was a huge affair!

It’s that time of the year again! Spagvemberfest unfolded for the entire month of - what regular folks call - November (to learn all about this month of joy and cinematic comraderie read The What? Why? and How? of SpagvemberFest! ). Our Spagvemberfest 2023 discussion topic was the base camp for sharing everyone’s adventures of this month. Some of our community members were very methodical, others joined occasionally. We had a lot of new comers and also veterans of the “fest”. At the same time, spaghetti western fans showed their spaghetti love on social media and other channels. All in all, it was a blast! The discussions here in the forum alone spawned 720 forum posts, the topic was viewed 4.4 thousand times (!), 39 forum members actively participated on here alone and 5.1 thousand “likes” were used to pat each others on the back. On Facebook etc we did post daily ideas for movies to watch, she shared others’ posts and kept going our news updates (see below). Thanks everyone for being part of #Spagvemberfest 2023, it was an absolute joy to partake and observe. Until next year, and now off to #Deucember.

:rotating_light: WANTED:

• We’re still trying to get in touch with the person who ran the Altervista website SPAGHETTI WESTERN DATABASE if anyone knows, please send us a message.
  • We’re also trying to locate our friend from Finland who went by the name of Shobary (with the popular SW website with that title).
    Why? We want to rescue and preserve the remnants of these two websites, like we’re currently doing with A Fistful of Pasta (still a work in progress).

:film_strip: New around the SWDb:

• Let us know if you want to help with our new master calendar Calendar - The Spaghetti Western Database and company directory Company directory - The Spaghetti Western Database. We still need help to fill those with information, please get in touch!
  • :clipboard: … as always: join the SWDb, help out, it will make it better :slight_smile: You don’t have to become a full time editor or official staff member to contribute. Anything from being active in the forum over correcting spelling mistakes to joining entire improvement projects is more than welcome. From all over the world, in all languages, we welcome help!

:cowboy_hat_face: SWDb 3.0 is here…

The major overhaul of the SWDb is nearing completion. We continue work on the improvements of the SWDb, notably the film pages (these are pretty much done), and we’re now touching up other parts of the database (for example check out the new “Browse all” page Browse all - The Spaghetti Western Database). Also almost complete are shopping guides and home video label overviews, the new pages for our editors and a million new pictures, for example uploaded by @Mickey13 . Before the holidays we’ll have the books section and all books pages updated to a better layout as well. If you’re interested in seeing what we’re doing or if you want to join and help, click here to read about it: SWDb 3.0 (our massive 2022/2023 project)

SWDb :heart: Letterboxd

If you’re a Letterboxd user, we hope you’re as excited as we are about the official SWDb Letterboxd HQ account. Click here to learn more about that (long story short: follow us on LB). For the new year we’ll finally bring more exclusive content to that channel as well. And your reminder: all the revised film pages in the SWDb have a direct link to their respective LB entry. Starting end of this year, we’ll again bring more LB exclusive content, so make sure you follow us there.

:dvd: Home video news:

In November the dollars saga was completed for the 4K UltraHD BluRay format in Italy, there was a new A Bullet for Sandoval release in the USA, as well as welcome releases in Germany, France and a few re-releases and bootlegs elsewhere. All in all not bad, but the real kicker is…

This month! December will see not only another high quality Arrow box set that brings a colorful mix of titles, but also Django will make its 4K debut in the UK. Other notetworthy titles are the restored HD debut of Closed Circuit, the German release of The Ugly Ones and 4K premieres also of Winnetou I and Botte di Natale. If all goes well also The Road to Fort Alamo will ship (UK) and there’s a dollars double feature in Australia that should become available.

We are absolutely certain there will be some more announcements and changes for December still, so keep an eye on our calendar, and also the first titles for the new year are becoming clearer so it will stay interesting!
:calendar: Visit the SWDb home video release calendar

:church: Obituaries

Our head of obits, the spaghettiologist @Tom_B had to update the boot hill cemetery with an unfortunate 7 new obituaries over the course of the last four weeks.
:arrow_right: Check out “Cemetery with crosses”

:balance_scale: Reviews:

Please contact us if you want your reviews published. We are especially looking for reviews of movies that have no, or very few, reviews in the SWDb. We publish them in all languages, and you don’t need to be a professional writer!
:arrow_right: Two new reviews, namely for A Rope for a Bastard and Ruthless Colt of the Gringo by @scherpschutter

:moneybag: :dollar: Those of you who feel inclined to donate a dollar or euro or two, head here. Payplal has improved the donation experience, check it out. Also, whenever you shop at Amazon, click on one of the SWDb’s Amazon links first, it doesn’t matter which one.

See you next month! **And don’t forget to get SAVAGE GUNS - if you follow the link below you’ll learn more about this release, including all the Amazon etc. links (if you use those it supports the SWDb):

SAVAGE GUNS details: Lo voglio morto/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

1 Like

Seb.

I just went through my daily birthday calendar and updated it. I’ll start it on the blog beginning January 1st.

If I can help you with that, I’d be glad to. Of course, who I list may not jive with what you may consider SW personnel so you’re more than welcome to delete anything I may send you or put on the calendar. Just let me know.

1 Like

let’s roll with that, I am all for being most inclusive and we have no space constraints :slight_smile: Looking forward to the first blog entry then

Okay, it will start on January 1st.