No Room to Die / Una lunga fila di croci (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

Watched this one for the first time today and came away with mixed feelings.
Visually it is well crafted and the parts were all suited to the cast. Steffen as the taciturn bounty killer, Berger as the enigmatic preacher / gunman and Nicoletta Machiavelli as the strong and beautiful woman. So far so good.

What I wasn’t so taken with was the score from Vasco and Mancuso. It just didn’t match the images well enough and left me a bit flat.

Decent stuff but I think it could have been a lot better.

What do the rest of you think?

For more info visit:
Database page: Lunga fila di croci, Una - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give No Room to Die your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

I like this one, and do not mind the music ( but can see it will not be to everyone’s taste ).

You seem to be watching a few recently anyway Phil…keep up the good work !

Haven’t seen it yet and thought about ordering it the other day.
The AURUM encyclopedia calls it a very violent film, with nearly all violence in close-up.
True or false alarm once again (it’s not the most reliable book on SWs)?

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:802”]The AURUM encyclopedia calls it a very violent film, with nearly all violence in close-up.
True or false alarm once again (it’s not the most reliable book on SWs)?[/quote]
It’s violent in a sense that it’s filled with action and people are killed almost continuously. However, by today’s standards, it isn’t that violent, no blood is shown and I really don’t recall any violent close-ups. I mean, it isn’t Django Kill! or Four of the Apocalypse or anything like that. It’s just full of action scenes.

Quite nice film but like most Steffen westerns it was shot in Italy and some locations look quite cheap. Even though I like Steffen I must admit that this is really Berger’s movie, his Preacher character is just so over-the-top. 3 stars.

Yep, I’d agree. Not overly violent but a very high body count. As Silver Wolf said, lots of action with almost constant gunplay. Which, to be honest, was one of it’s downsides. I like plenty of action but at times here it seemed to be used as a substitute for developing the plot or characters. Pretty good fun on the whole though.

I watched this again recently - and have to agree with it being Berger’s film altho’ Steffen plays it well as his partner-of-sorts/rival. Always happy to see Berger, and equally happy to see a deranged preacher … combined - fantastic. Even the Sabata-ish 7(?)-barrelled shotgun looks right in his hands. I like this film a lot. I like it pitting the ‘life is cheap’ racism against the ‘honourable’ smuggler businessmens capitalist morality. But mostly I like the two very charismatic (yes, I’m referring to ‘Stiffen’ as well here … ) bounty hunters being pitted against each other. Throw in some well choregraphed duels, massacres, beatings; plus a strong performance by Nicoletta Machiavelli and it’s pretty much a winner. Not SO violent by today’s standards - but very stylish.
I can’t remember a lot about the music so maybe not that distinctive, or maybe just not obstrusive? [The version that I saw (I dont know what the choice is) is one of those fine Japanese (bible) dvds.]
This goes into my top 40 (eventually).

NO ROOM TO DIE 1969 Anthony Steffen Nicoletta Macchiavelli William Berger

Director : Sergio Garrone Written By : Sergio Garrone

Violent, gritty, stylish SW also known as “Una Lunga Fila Di Croci” benefits from leading
man ANTHONY STEFFEN 's superb role as a bounty hunter .

Good efficient supporting roles for Nicoletta Macchiavelli and William Berger.

My Vote for NO ROOM TO DIE 1969 is 16.5 out of 20. :smiley:

[quote=“Phil H, post:1, topic:802”]What I wasn’t so taken with was the score from Vasco and Mancuso. It just didn’t match the images well enough and left me a bit flat.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Lunga_fila_di_croci%2C_Una[/quote]
Funny what wakes you up sometimes …
I do remember the music - well at least the ridiculous DUM DE DUM DUM DUM emphasis-bits that would sound more at home in a cartoon.
I’ve also been wondering about that gun of Berger’s. It looks cool … looks like a 7 barrelled shotgun (read it and weep Tony Anthony :'() - but behaves like a repeating rifle. The only way I could imagine a gizmo like this actually working was if the barrels revolved around the centre (gatling style) … which would make it now a ‘six-shooter’. I’ll pay more attention next time! (Fucking insomnia - who needs it?! :slight_smile:

(Edit : still with nothing much happening at 5 in the morn - at least found me my Gordon Mitchell avatar and finally worked out how to put it on … aint insomnia great ;D?)

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:8, topic:802”]Funny what wakes you up sometimes …
I do remember the music - well at least the ridiculous DUM DE DUM DUM DUM emphasis-bits that would sound more at home in a cartoon.[/quote]

Yes that emphasis stuff is outstanding. So over the top it was great.

And the people smuggling storyline made the film strangely relevant to a modern audience.

NO ROOM TO DIE 1969 Leading Lady NICOLETTA MACCHIAVELLI also acted with

MAN FROM UNCLE Superstar DAVID McCALLUM in Paolo Cavara’s THE RAVINE 1969
an excellent wartime romancer set in Yugoslavia among the snows.

I give no room to die an 8 out of 10. It could have been a 9 if some of the action wasn’t so unbelievable. Such as Steffen javelin throwing the shovel into the guys chest and impaling him.

ANTHONY STEFFEN works very well with NICOLETTA MACCHIAVELLI on screen.

I place much importance on the screen chemistry between leading man & leading lady :-*

by the way, can anybody explain to me what the bizarre cockfighting/flashback scene was all about?

Watched this last night… A very good spaghetti.

Very well shot with quite a good score. Steffen is adequate, a bit better than usual. Berger is cool as always. Luckily, Berger gets as much screen time as Steffen - maybe more.

Recommended…

I think it’s a fun movie with a good soundtrack, William Berger is really good with his four barrelled shotgun. It’s the only film where Steffen really annoys me though, it’s the first Steffen movie I saw as well, so it left a bad impression early on. I like him now though.

One of the most violent spaghettis i’ve seen so far. Forget about Steffen, Berger simply steals the show on this one, a very brutal and cynic character… The direction isn’t very inventive at some parts, but generally it leaves me satisfied. Double-crossings, high body count (see Berger…) and Nicoletta Macchiaveli, what else do you need to watch this? Western made the italian way. 8,5/10

I just finished watching this and I was impressed. I’m surprised to see the comments on here, while really not negative, they’re not as positive as I would have commented. Haha, I would easily put this far over most of the Sergio Leone westerns(!!!) any day… blasphemy you say? I think the the direction was awesome, the camera work, cast, etc. Ok, the music wasn’t amazing, but I don’t think it hurt the film at all.

I love this movie too.

Steffen and berger are great. Lots of action. Good plot. Awesome vasco and mancuso score.

Only Garrone’s directing needed some work. And a high suspension of disbelief in some scenes but I can forgive it because SW’s are known for that.

saw this last night was a bit disapointed, was hoping for a bit better but it is watchable and has some good action although not as much as i had expected from other forum comments on this film. may have been me but i thought it got a bit muddled ( i know a lot of SW’S do) :slight_smile: as many have said love william berger’s gun and thought he was dispatched a little too easily. ok film nothing more 6/10

Saw this for the first time and I was positively delighted. It had great direction and one of my new favorite duels in a SW. The film couldve used a great score and the writing was weak, but it still was a damn good film. I actually like Anthony Steffen alot contrary to alot other people.
Seriously though does anyone know what that flashback/Cockfight scene was about?