Spagvemberfest 2020

I also made this playlist to keep count of the films on YouTube

2 Likes

of the movies that were Fested this year?

As promised:
6. Lattanzi: Six Bounty Killers for a Massacre
-This wasn’t actually that bad (at least after the self inflicted torture of seeing I Brutos…) I liked the scene where O’Brien is taking the role of both judge and executioner, otherwise it was more on the thrashy side of fun, like the bank scene Tomas mentioned (dynamite’s made of chicken shit). Plot was hard to follow at times as the film seems to be sort of patch work. Maybe 4/10 for now.

4 Likes

Yes, that was interesting - Executioner of God had also kind of weirdly interesting finale, it seems there are some fresh ideas in of both these Lattanzi’s shitsterns - it’s like to have a cherry on top of a big shitpile. :grin:

1. Face to Face

After few days of meaningless spaghetting I needed something to heighten my spirits and although rewatches of once liked spaghs are risky business as I learned yesterday Sollima’s classic still shoots straight on all levels. I can’t even say a bad thing about it, maybe the ending seems to me a bit radical? 10/10

5 Likes

Bavarian comedian Karl Valentin once remarked, “Everything has already been said – but not yet by everyone.” There are two good reviews of Sergio Garrone’s Una lunga fila di croci by Phil and Simon, to which I have nothing to add. Just one thing perhaps: What really astonished me were two black-and-white flashback scenes during a cockfight attended by the movie’s main villain, Fargo. What purpose do they have? They show events from Fargo’s past, probably how he has become the man he is now. I couldn’t make head or tail of them. Well, I’m not the only one.

By the way, can anybody explain to me what the bizarre cockfighting/flashback scene was all about?

Seriously though does anyone know what that flashback/Cockfight scene was about?

And, as some others already mentioned, I’m still wondering what Garrone wants us to know with that strange flashback-scene during the rooster fight. Maybe a residual of a cut sub-plot?

P.S.: What the heck were those black & white flashbacks??? :o

I am continuing the festivities with… El Chuncho - Quien Sabe?

1 Like

Yes.

Três dólares de plomo was my pick for tonight. It’s an early one, 1964, which I never heard before. I stumbled upon this one on Grjngo YouTube Channel. No big deal about it but it was a brainless effort, just what I needed for end of the week.

4 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020

Day 6

If You Meet Sartana…Pray For Your Death (Parolini / 1968)

The first Sartana film of my festival weekend and the first of the series. Could also be titled “If You Meet Sartana… Ask Him What the Heck is Going On”.

It’s double cross a-go-go in this one with more twists than Chubby Checker’s dance party and also features the only western character I ever saw in a three piece corduroy suit. William Berger is possibly the only actor cool enough to carry that off and in addition to Garko’s perfect fit for Sartana it all goes very well if somewhat overly convoluted. It also has a monumental body count. Not something I’d thought of before. Seems like every time a robbery finished the entire gang got mowed down. Be interesting to know exactly how many corpses pile up through the film’s entirety. Maybe Shobary did that count once?

6 Likes

Day 7: Acquasanta Joe

Headed over to Amazon Prime to see what they had to offer… wish I hadn’t bothered. Better luck tomorrow.

Holy_Water_Joe

3 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020: DAY 7

Couldn’t watch a spag yesterday, but I’m giving serious consideration to making up the shortfall with a double-bill tomorrow. In the meantime I’m cracking on today with avant-garde acid western A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964), in which Clint Eastwood stars as a black-clad gunfighter who has to succeed in a sequence of duels against several gun masters in order to find enlightenment in a bizarre Western hellscape.

Now I’m through the first week I might switch it up to maybe watching it with the Christopher Frayling commentary on, or something.

3 Likes

Could be a good opportunity to learn a new language … that’s how I got started trying to learn some basic Spanish … “Manos arriba, gringo!” :wink:

2 Likes

Day 7- Cut-Throats Nine

A very dark eurowestern, to me it feels more like a horror thriller than a western, which is why I chose it, it was a nice change of pace. Every actor was good and the atmosphere was so rich you could cut through it with a knife, and who could say no to a snowy western?

7 Likes

Nobody could

2 Likes

Pretty sure I’m going to end the month with this one :grinning:

@CitizenDoov It’s a goodie!

1 Like

I still need to buy that BluRay somewhere… bummer that this is such a hard to get title

At least it exists… cough cough El Puro cough cough

I’ll carry on this Saturday with a Richard Harrison flick: La lunga cavalcata della vendetta

I’m half through when I’m writing this short note, one thing is already clear to me, it is the spaghetti western with more fake cactus that I recall.

5 Likes