My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

Here’s a quote from Leone which I added to the film’s page:

“I originally went into the role of producer with this principle in mind: ‘A Sergio Leone film directed by someone else’.”

That’s what he tried in the first place with Giu la testa, and that’s what I say he did with My Name Is Nobody, but not with A Genius.

Nevertheless, we both love the movie :wink:

I’m not sure who directed what, but both Valerii AND Leone definitely deserves equal credit for making the film great. Valerii was a talented director in his own right and certainly added quality to the film in whichever scenes that he did happen to direct, whether it was 10 percent or 90 percent of the film. Leone wrote the story, produced, and directed at least some of the scenes, so he deserves credit. Valerii also deserves credit for directing his share of the scenes as well, which probably was the majority of the film. It may have been a Bava/Freda type arrangement. In those films, I give both Freda and Bava equal credit.

Objection, your Honor

(I couldn’t resist)

Objection rejected!

Sustained.

Stanton I can understand, but you Spaghetti Monkey, you too don’t think Valerii is a good director?

He got two movies in the SWDB top 20. that should mean something. Most of his works did well in the box-office too.
So why is this fellow a bad director?!

Nothing above average, though i might like him more than Stanton.

Maybe we shoud define “average”.

Perhaps we should.
In a genre with some real bad directors the average stand-out, then I must consider Valerii above average. Not excellent thought.

[quote=“p.pereira, post:131, topic:71”]Perhaps we should.
In a genre with some real bad directors the average stand-out, then I must consider Valerii above average. Not excellent thought.[/quote]

I guess so… he really is avove many other SW makers IMO.

My thoughts exactly.

On my scale of 1-10, i consider 3.5 - 4.5 below average but watchable, 4.5 - 6 average and anything above 6 is above average. Did some digging for my ratings, and so far his first is my favorite.

TASTE OF KILLING - 6.5/10
PRICE OF POWER - 6/10
A REASON TO LIVE, A REASON TO DIE - 4/10
MY NAME IS NOBODY - 4.5/10

The obvious omission is that i still haven’t seen DAY OF ANGER, but it’s doubtful this would push his work beyond average, for my tastes anyway.

[quote=“Spaghetti Monkey, post:134, topic:71”]On my scale of 1-10, i consider 3.5 - 4.5 below average but watchable, 4.5 - 6 average and anything above 6 is above average. Did some digging for my ratings, and so far his first is my favorite.

TASTE OF KILLING - 6.5/10
PRICE OF POWER - 6/10
A REASON TO LIVE, A REASON TO DIE - 4/10
MY NAME IS NOBODY - 4.5/10

The obvious omission is that i still haven’t seen DAY OF ANGER, but it’s doubtful this would push his work beyond average, for my tastes anyway.[/quote]

That’s hard!
Nobody so deeply below POP and only 0.5 above A REASON TO LIVE, A REASON TO DIE.
We definitely seem to have a different spaghetti taste…

Will be interesting to see what you make of this one.

I think A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die is the best one of the ones I have seen from him.

I may have overrated POP a bit based on what he tried to do as opposed to what actually wound up on the screen. Should re-watch that one.

Maybe me too… :wink:

So, you haven’t seen Nobody, yet?