My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

Seriously, whats the best release of this film? Just got the german Paramount disk and it was crap. Interlaced and un-watchable.

Yeah too bad, because its got some nice extras.

Its been a while I have to check, but I think the Neauveaux (I can never spell that right) UK might be the one to beat.

But the German disc is the best for non PC watchers. It looks amazing on my TV.

True

Is thatthe one thatcomes with Genious…

If you buy the Paramount box which contains both, yes.
But you get both also as a single release, and both either with or without a 2nd disc with tons of bonus material.

I’ve got the Nouveaux release as part of the Comedy Western box… excellent release and includes both Trinity Films, My name is Nobody & Genius… cheap too, I think it was $30 when I bought it, dunno about current availability though

Does anyone know what the alternate ending on the Japanese and new Argentinian discs involves?

There’s an alternate ending on the French 2-disc set as well if I remember correctly. I just haven’t watched it… :stuck_out_tongue: As far as I can remember the finger is replaced by a gun. And… well, that’s about it if I’m right. :o

Yeah, I read about this finger/gun replacement somewhere else. But the finger is good idea, unless we have a version without any humour, which would be a different film.

I wish there was an alternative take to replace the fast motion scene where Nobody draws and holsters his gun so quick that the saddle on his shoulders does not fall down.

Right, not much of a change then. Still, it would have been nice for them to have included it as an extra on my German Paramount disc.

[quote=“Stanton, post:110, topic:71”]Yeah, I read about this finger/gun replacement somewhere else. But the finger is good idea, unless we have a version without any humour, which would be a different film.

I wish there was an alternative take to replace the fast motion scene where Nobody draws and holsters his gun so quick that the saddle on his shoulders does not fall down.[/quote]

I love this film for so many of its wonderful sequences but the comedy scenes are so frustrating because they ruin a film which had such potential. Ironically some of the scenes shot by Leone at the fairground are really really well shot, it’s just that the content isn’t great.

Who journalised, which certain scenes were allegedly shot by Leone?

I’m not sure what your question means. As regards the fairground sequence where Hill is wandering around, here is the Valerii quote from my posting a while back:

“Here is the scene with dwarf [on stilts]… It is a sequence filmed by Ruzzolini… We were already in Spain… After this shot, there is a sequence directed by Leone… While Leone directed the scene with the [shattering] glasses, me, I directed this [hall of mirrors] one. We were right across from each other.”

There are some OK scenes in this film, but it’s too fragmented & disappointed me overall. It could have been a really good film if more of a story & more consistency. What annoyed me most was when the climactic showndown broke down into cheap freezeframing & repeat shots.

On the other hand, I loved ‘‘A Genius, Two Partners & a Dupe’’. I found it a lot more fun throughout.

For me one of the brilliant ideas of the film. One of many

Not too fond of this one either.

Nobody is one of the few SWs with almost no weak points for me. I can rewatch it over and over again (I have seen it about 10 times or more) and it continues to entertain me in every second. I can’t say this about many SWs.

Like Compañeros and Massacre Time for me.

[quote=“Novecento, post:113, topic:71”]I’m not sure what your question means. As regards the fairground sequence where Hill is wandering around, here is the Valerii quote from my posting a while back:

“Here is the scene with dwarf [on stilts]… It is a sequence filmed by Ruzzolini… We were already in Spain… After this shot, there is a sequence directed by Leone… While Leone directed the scene with the [shattering] glasses, me, I directed this [hall of mirrors] one. We were right across from each other.”[/quote]

OK.

Nevertheless it seems ridiculous to me that Leone is contained in the name of this thread.
It is a common procedural method that a film is partly shot by several crews working simultaneously. BUT in none of them the director of a second crew gets credited as a director. He apprears in the closing titles, but he definitely is NOT the other director.

That’s because some (many) people think, and I’m the first one to say so, that Leone, irrespective of which scenes he already shot, was the real director of Nobody. The creative force which is responsible for the film’s quality.

Giving all the credit for films to the director is anyway a simplification, at least in the commercial making of films. It makes somehow sense to chose the director, but there are surely many, many films which were in fact more created by producers, screenplay writers, stars or a novel basis. That’s a tricky terrain.