My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

Also one i have to give a second chance

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/263/mynameisnobodyposter021.jpg

For a rather personal view on this classic, see:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/My_Name_is_Nobody_Review

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:220, topic:71”]Finally rewatched it, because of all the discussions here

I liked it much better than when I first saw it
There’s some genuinely good stuff in here (the opening, the finale, the beer glasses those scenes with the Wild Bunch), but then again there are too many things that don’t work to call it a masterpiece.
I don’t care for yet another mirror scene, nor for this urinal nonsense (well done but terribly unfunny), and overall there’s too much Trinity sneaking in (I know it’s part of the concept)

Anyway, it was good to see it again and good to see that it’s a lot better than I thought
(I’ll have to go looking for a better DVD than the one I have (Dutch DVD, not anamorphic, sound low on volume, colours off in a lot of scenes)[/quote]

exactly my thoughts on this spectacle, scherp
when i´ve seen Nobody for the first time, i didn´t know much about it
and when it started with that superb shootout i was looking forward to the next,
but fun was somehow spoiled by that next
anyways, throughout a time i “learnt” to quite like it, but it´ll never be even in my TOP 40 though

You are one helluva writer Scherp.

I don’t think it’s wrong to call My Name is Nobody an essential addenda to the quartet of westerns he made in the sixties. [b]It’s probably more essentially his than the fifth western that officially bears his name: Duck you Sucker![/b]

Excellent review as always but I strongly disagree with this statement, since in the infinitely better Giù la testa/Duck you Sucker! you can find significant authorial elements.

I an earlier version I had added the line “but I realize not everybody will agree with this statement” …

I agree with this statement.
I think in Nobody is more Leone than in Giu la testa. And it was always, despite some flaws, the much better film for me. Giu la testa has also a lot of flaws, but is still an interesting film.

Very good review Scherp. (as per usual)

This is a film I’ve always had mixed feelings about and have actually avoided re watching for some years now as a result. It is probably long overdue for a re assessment on my part. It’s just that slapstick stuff which keeps me away.

I love this one. It is actually in my Top 20, but can see why so many people don’t like it.
The mixture of a comedy and a serious spaghetti might be too strange for some. :smiley:
It has one of my favorite endings in sw (Jack Beauregard and against one hundred and fifty pure-bred sons-of-bitches on horseback).
And of course Morricone at his best. :slight_smile:

I just got a link from Mickey to this 2 pics (on the bottom of the page) for the everlasting question who did what not in My Name is Nobody:

http://spaghettiwesterns.1g.fi/pics.htm

On the right we see Valerii (with the sunglasses), but the bespectacled guy on the left image looks suspiciously like our Sergio? Or maybe not?

Or is it a pic from OUTW?

Looks like the Sergio, yes. Would be interesting to compare this pic to some others taken on the set of My Name is Nobody (featuring Leone)

In my mind there’s btw no doubt that Leone did the opening scene

It certainly is Sergio. However, as Stanton suggests, it’s actually from Once Upon a Time in the West.

It is the deleted barber shop scene that was originally to have the “whittling on a piece of wood” line that was later used by Bronson just before the final duel with Fonda.

[quote=“Novecento, post:232, topic:71”]It certainly is Sergio. However, as Stanton suggests, it’s actually from Once Upon a Time in the West.

It is the deleted barber shop scene that was originally to have the “whittling on a piece of wood” line that was later used by Bronson just before the final duel with Fonda.[/quote]

Are you sure? I have tried too check it, but I’m not sure. Leone shot OUTW mostly beardless, but he wore on some photos the same cap.

The nobody barbershop has some similar lamps, and there seems to be also one corner with similar wood panels. But most of the barbershop looks very different from the background of the pic.

That picture is definitely from MY NAME IS NOBODY. For one thing, Fonda never wore that vest (waistcoat, if you prefer) in any film but MY NAME IS NOBODY.
And it is definitely Leone in the picture on the left.
Also, in the picture on the right…if look closely at the right edge…you will see the actor that takes the place of the real barber in the opening scene of MY NAME IS NOBODY.
Nothing possible or probable here, amigos…it is all definite.

???
Interesting…!
Never in my life have I heard about such a scene. What’s your source, amigo?

One thing, though…Bronson doesn’t use the line “he’s whittling on a piece of wood”, Robards does.
And he uses it because Bronson is sitting outside on the fence rail whittling on a piece of wood, waiting for Fonda, during that section of the film.

I’m not saying you are incorrect about the existence of a deleted barber shop scene. I am just curious to know where you heard about it.

Chris the right pic is definitely from Nobody, but we are not sure about the left pic. Unfortunately we don’t see Fonda’s clothes in the left pic.

The deleted barber shop scene of OUTW is described at several places. The “he’s whittling on a piece of wood” line was originally part of that scene (but spoken by the barber), and then transferred to the end of the film.

This is the only one of the deleted scenes of which I’m sorry that it not made it in the film.

[quote=“Stanton, post:236, topic:71”]Chris the right pic is definitely from Nobody, but we are not sure about the left pic. Unfortunately we don’t see Fonda’s clothes in the left pic.

The deleted barber shop scene of OUTW is described at several places. The “he’s whittling on a piece of wood” line was originally part of that scene (but spoken by the barber), and then transferred to the end of the film.

This is the only one of the deleted scenes of which I’m sorry that it not made it in the film.[/quote]

Great info., thanks! Still would like to have a source to go to for further confirmation. Is it in any particular books?
Yes…now I see what you mean about the pic on the left!!!
I apologize for my “definite” statements above.
:slight_smile:

Frayling (who else?) describes the scene and the other deleted and changed material in his book.

What actually happened in this deleted barbershop scene in Once Upon a Time in the West - it sounds intriguing. Is there any chance of it ever being put onto DVD as an extra or is it lost?

Which book, Stanton?
I’ve read them all, but it has been quite awhile.
I must have forgotten about the barber shop scene.
Thanks, again, for the information, amigo.