Long Days of Vengeance / I lunghi giorni della vendetta (Florestano Vancini, 1967)

It looks a lot better to me. Is it English friendly?

Italian only, according to the back.

Someone else tell Arrow to pick it up! Definitely one of the more deserving titles.

Once theyā€™re done spewing out Blue Undergroundā€™s catalogue they may consider it.

All they need now is a good English audio source.

Thatā€™s a shame :slightly_frowning_face: Even though I bought the Wild East disc no that long ago Iā€™d happily buy it again for that print.

Thatā€™d be pretty great actually, hereā€™s hoping thatā€™ll happen eventually.

Am I right in thinking that the image is slightly squeezed in the DVD screenshots?

Take a ruler and measure the hats. :sunglasses:

Can anyone confirm that the Wild East release has a complete English audio track, or is it one of their ā€˜homemadeā€™ voice over dubs, which they did at the beginning of ā€˜Johnny Hamletā€™, and for one brief scene in ā€˜The Ugly Onesā€™ ?

Iā€™ve just made a fandub version using the latest Italian DVD release and the English audio from the German release. Itā€™s looking and sounding pretty good - Iā€™d like to complete the dub and would buy the Wild East release if I knew for sure that the audio was original. But Iā€™d be mighty pissed off if I discover itā€™s not :crazy_face:

Just finished this one and cannot help but feel a bit let down. I might have had too high expectations thinking I was in for something different this time. First of all - 2 hours is too long for me when thereā€™s a great lack of gunplay and action, and in my opinion thereā€™s not much interesting characters besides Gemma himself or Navarro. The scene in the barber shop was fantastic, wish there was more gritty stuff like that but instead thereā€™s a acrobatic fist fight, a scene where Gemma shoots a guy through the roof and punctures the water barrel and takes a shower. That stuff puts me off. OK - 80 minutes in, heā€™s now beaten up by the bad guys and thrown in jail, about to get hanged. This was the worst part for me, when heā€™s taken through town facing the gallows, it goes on for 10 minutes - no doomsday trumpet or gritty atmosphere at all, Gemma winks at the ladies with a smile on his face. I will give it another chance later on, hopefully Iā€™ll get other feelings then.

It begins strong I think without the typial lighthearted Gemma SW characteristics, nice mood, landscapes and especially the music by Armando Trovaioli is a plus, but then it becomes a bit uneven and too lighthearted at times including that acrobatic fist fight for example.

However I didnā€™t feel that the hanging scene was that bad as I remember the good Trovaioli music there, even if it was maybe a year ago I watched it for the 4th or 5th time or so after having purchased it in the winter of 2018/2019.
Itā€™s time for me to watch it again soon but I will still probably only rate it as a 6/10. It is the same rating I give A Pistol For Ringo which is maybe more even, but also with a slight lighthearted feeling and without the fine music.

Sorry you didnā€™t enjoy it ā€¦ perhaps it will grow on you.

Just wanted to ask, is the English audio track complete in the Wild East release ? I posed that question before, but got no replies.

My concern is that the dub is authentic and not one of W.Eā€™s home made efforts, as heard on ā€˜Johnny Hamletā€™ in the ā€˜To be or not to beā€™ scene at the beginning, where they have ā€˜someoneā€™ doing the speech over the top of the original Italian, and you can still hear the Italian audio - they also looped in a short exchange in their release of ā€˜The Ugly Onesā€™ aka ā€˜The Price of a Manā€™

I would consider getting this release if itā€™s a genuine 1960s dub ā€¦ but otherwise no.

From what I noticed, there was at one point homemade voice dub but it wasnā€™t as annoying as Hamlet or The Ugly Ones in my opinion. At one point in the movie a logo turns up in the right corner, Iā€™m guessing Wild East has patched together different sources in order to achieve this 102 minute version. Overall I was happy the presentation.

1 Like

Thanks for that, David ā€¦ Iā€™m still wondering what the source for the other scenes could be, as thereā€™s about 15 minutes of non English in my fandub which I subtitled for the missing parts ā€¦ a better option I think :thinking:

Iā€™d guess that it is a TV print

1 Like

Thatā€™s strange though, as the Italian DVD is uncut, so why use the TV recording ā€¦ perhaps they couldnā€™t get permission to use the official video. Plus using a Telly rip on a commercial release is really scraping the ethical barrel ā€¦ itā€™s very unlikely that video and audio come from the same source, or someone here would have known about an English language broadcast.

What scenes is missing the audio on your version?

I have switched to the Italian track during these scenes and added the subs - the first one is about 10 minutes in, when Conrado San Martin, as ā€˜Cobbā€™ shows up.

This scene lasts about 3 or 4 minutes before weā€™re back to the English audio.

But there are breaks in audio in quite a few other sections. I canā€™t remember all at the moment, but looking at my files ā€¦ the Subtitle has 102 lines of dialogue. It would be great to have a more complete English version, especially as this Italian DVD looks so good ā€¦ near BD quality :wink:

Iā€™m gonna check the DVD tomorrow and get back to you

1 Like

I watched my Wild East DVD today. It was nearly 2 hours 2 minutes runtime according to my watch.
I didnā€™t notice any big problems in the beginning with the English audio, but that line ā€œWeā€™re happy to be hereā€ etc didnā€™t show up as I could hear. In general the audio was a bit noisy at that stage.

I did notice 3 occasions where they hade done something with the audio at 46, 50, 56 minutes. It was probably for short periods and didnā€™t disturb me.

More disturbing is an item regarding the image quality that I now have noticed on some DVDs, that is very small dots covering all of the TV area also above and under the movie frame. I generally donā€™t notice this when it is a light picture or outdoor scenes, but when itā€™s dark. At 2 meters distance from the TV they are not so obvious but more so when I look closer.
I have a vague memory that they might be on my Django The Bastard also without checking it out. It has many dark scenes.

But I did check my new Wild East Kill The Wicked and it didnā€™t have this problem.

My rating of the SW is still 6/10. Nice Almeria et al locations are a plus as also the very good moody music by Armando Trovaioli. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKtoIMwWSJM

1 Like

Thatā€™s a translation, an approximate one, of the Italian audio - dialogue is often very different between versions. Also with subtitles, itā€™s often necessary to simplify and compress what is being said, otherwise, you might be just reading a film, rather than watching and listening.