Long Days of Vengeance / I lunghi giorni della vendetta (Florestano Vancini, 1967)

PS: I’m sure your rating will increase after a few more viewings … I wasn’t so impressed on first sight, but it has some subtle strengths … check out the final gun battle after the aborted hanging … there is a lot of hand held camera shots, which gives the action a real edgy feel … almost war documentary. It happens when Gemma and Gabriella hide in the saloon.

1 Like

It happened to be my 5th or more likely 6th watching since I (as usual) watched it many times from my purchase in Nov 2018 until last summer :slight_smile:
The slightly but obviously lighthearted or comedy moments such as a silly fist fight and Gemma’s interaction with the (not so lovely) girl in general affect my rating negatively.

You’re a tough critic, Mr. Runner ! :thinking: Gemma’s movies always have silly fist fights, which I admit can be a little tedious … but for a 1960s audience, these were essential,

It’s old fashioned of course, but all the classic elements are included - Action, adventure, brawling, comedy, romance - these films were designed for an unsophisticated audience, who just wanted a fun time at the movies.

Look at how much life has changed in 50 years … we no longer watch circus shows on TV or see magicians or variety acts … that’s too low brow for contemporary viewers … they prefer ‘Reality TV’ !!!

My point is that these type of movies first aim is to entertain and give the audience what it expects … but some, like ‘Long Days of Vengeance’, also have a deeper aspect.

I think it still holds up really well, even if the part of Pajarito is an annoying little twat … he’s there as a sidekick for the hero … it’s just a device to bring the audience along and care about the characters.
The villain is superbly evil, that you want to kill him yourself - Nieves Navarro, who has betrayed Gemma, but realizes he will probably get his revenge, changes sides and back again, is a classic femme fatale … beautifully done.

There are so many lovely details and plus points that I feel compelled to defend and praise this movie … but you prefer ‘Ramon the Mexican’, which I found completely boring and ludicrously cast with man giant Claudio Undari aka Robert Hundar, who as an actor I like, but not in this role.

So, we have to agree to disagree … no harm done. :wink:

1 Like

After a couple of more watchings I have increased my rating to a (weak) 7/10 good for rank 44 on my SW Top list. The lighthearted “dentist”-room brawl for example nowadays don’t irritate me so much that the more important overall very nice impression I get, due to the mood, plot, cinematography, Gemma, Nieves Navarro, Tabernas desert etc. , is significantly affected.
And the music is formidable… -was Ennio Morricone involved or is it only by Armando Trovajoli ? IMDb includes Morricone.

1. Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) 1968
    x43 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967
    44 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967

6/10

45 Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini 1969
46 Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow/The Moment To Kill (Tonino Valerii) music Nico Fidenco 1966

If anyone has material about this movie that could be added to the BluRay extras, please get in touch with me or Explosive Media (interviews, trailers, alternate credits, pictures, etc… )

I already was in contact with Ulrich and have sent material :wink:

3 Likes

you sir are a good man

Yes, me too.
Only my Yugoslavian poster for the picture gallery but glad to help out.

I recently rewatched this one and for me it’s an underrated classic of the genre. Alongside Arizona Colt, its Gemma’s best. Besides Gemma, there are fine perfomances from the two antagonists (Paco Rabal and Conrado San Martín) plus a decent supporting role for Nieves Navarro. Several slow-burning sequences and bravura flourishes rank amomg the genre’s finest.
Some may have an issue with the lesuirely pace and Pajarito’s antics, but that’s offset by an overall dark tone and an exceptional score. The film’s been poorly served on home video with only the recent non-English friendly CG DVD doing the film justice. The upcoming Blu-ray from Explosive Media should rectify that.

5 Likes

It’s a fantastic movie … Top 3 of the Gemma westerns. Happy that it’s been shown some more love here :grinning:

4 Likes

Agreed it’s my fourth favourite Gemma western. I’ve never been able to understand why it’s so overlooked even by fans of the genre. Looking forward to having it on Blu though. :+1: I think the English dubbing is pretty bad…I’m sure Italian with subs will be miles better.

1 Like

The dubbing is fine … but the sound quality on the WildEast release was pretty rough in places, as parts of the English audio soundtrack(previously unavailable) came from some ‘unofficial’ source. Likely an old VHS bootleg or TV recording.

I think it was from a bootleg of a vhs rip which I happen to own. I was still really happy with the Wild East release because it was a big step up from my bootleg but I don’t see it being a patch on the upcoming Blu release.

The dub was pretty bad for me, a lot like Django, but I didn’t hold it against the film-maker of course. I still think it’s a great western…I just think I’ll like it even more in Italian with subs.

2 Likes

The Italian DVD has amazing picture quality - so the BD should knock our socks off!

1 Like

A number of SWs (in my opinion) play far better in the Italian dub (Django, Faccia a faccia, Tepepa, Django il bastardo etc) and this film is definitely one of them.

1 Like

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
And we have a comment/opinion but I can’t trace back who wrote it.

Give your rating for Long Days of Vengeance. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Did anyone order the French BluRay? Wonder if the transfer is better than Explosive Media’s