Kino Lorber release thread

It’s easy to get carried away with the hobby, where the collecting becomes more addictive than the actual appreciation and enjoyment of the content. :wink:

2 Likes

That is true. My multi-region player packing in was probably a blessing in disguise. :smile:

1 Like

I mostly only post about the Italian genre movies I purchased so it’s really infrequent. It’s still too much obviously :slight_smile: Sorry that this is bothering you so much but it obviously does as you elected to bring it up. I find it strange that I have to defend buying the movies I watch. Buying a movie and owning it as a physical copy in whatever edition doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the movie itself. I think you have a lot of prejudice regarding this that is perhaps better exorcised.

1 Like

DeepDiscount has a War+Western sale going on. To support the SWDb, access it through this link:
Link to war and western sale on DeepDiscount

1 Like

I originally posted here just wanting some information and feedback about the Kino spaghetti western releases. I’m sorry it mutated into something that is not wanted on the forum. :frowning: :cold_sweat:

Never mind. Things seemed to start spiralling after i brought up extras and my obsession with them.

1 Like

mutants!

1 Like

Sounds pretty good

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/91299/thegoodthebadandtheugly4kultrahdbluray.html

I don’t know… something about the screenshots bother me. :wink:

Based on the ringing at the bottom and top (around the letterbox bars) it looks like they might have done some “grain management”. Or maybe it is an issue with the way the shots were taken for the site.

but of course :slight_smile:

People were too harsh on the 2017 release. It looked stunning to my eyes and it was great to have a remastered mono track. Not that I’m not supportive of the new scan because I most certainly am!

1 Like

But you have a Blu-ray player, don’t you? A standard Blu-ray player will play any DVDs.

I didn’t know that.

You sold all of your region 1 discs? They would have played on your Blu-ray with no trouble.

Not all of them are region free I think. Or at least you need to do some hacking. I needed to press certain code from remote controller to make mine region free for dvd’s.

I agree with that 100%. I think the yellow/green tint - such as it is, because its nowhere near as bad as the comparison screengrabs I’ve seen on numerous sites - suits the material beautifully. It’s one of my favourite blu-ray treatments, of any movie.

EDIT: Sorry, ignore me. I’m talking at crossed purposes, mistaking the 2017 release with the 2014 release. Bloody idiot (me, not you :slightly_smiling_face:).

However, this is simply not true.* I had to buy some sort of weird remote control device off of eBay which I had to use on both of the blu-ray players I had at the time in order to convert them into multiregion players for DVDs. Now that I’ve got rid of those blu-ray players and I don’t have any means by which to convert the UHD blu-ray player I own now, I’ve simply boxed away all of my region 1 locked DVDs for the time being until I hopefully one day acquire the means to watch them again (this includes three Echo Bridge spaghetti western box sets, a Timeless Media Django double-bill, my Millennium-era Godzilla movies and my Dog the Bounty Hunter DVDs!). I’m toying with the idea of just buying a separate multiregion DVD player, which I’ve seen online for somewhere around £35.

*I’d like to clarify here that in saying “this is simply not true” I’m not for a moment suggesting that you’re lying, MWaN. But you’re definitely mistaken, I’m afraid. :+1:

but he didnt say any region DVD, he said any DVD. And BluRayp players do play DVDs, by default however only those from the region they’re sold in (plus region 0 discs)

I had no idea. I thought that they would play any DVD, just not any Blu-ray. I have a multi region Blu-ray player, so I haven’t been restricted at all. I don’t own a UHD player though.

1 Like

Isn’t the 2017 release the one which Kino tried to fix as best as they could by removing the tint? They just can’t fix everything since the didn’t have access to to the original unaltered scan.

The 2014 release is the one with the strong tint.

As far as I know this 4k release is still the same scan, just another attempt at doing the color grading again (and they still can’t fix all the issues).

Yes, but he was talking about DVDs from any region:

That ^^^^^^^^^ is simply not true.

You’re quite right Sundance, my mistake. I was indeed extolling the virtues - as I see them; everyone else seems to hate it - of the 2014 MGM release. I can’t actually comment on the 2017 KL release as I’ve never seen it. :+1: