Kino Lorber release thread

The documentaries are in German with optional English subtitles. Terence Hill gives his interviews in English though. The German narrator is less sycophantic than some English ones and more critical than some English language ones. Which is refreshing.

1 Like

Youā€™re probably already aware of MakeMKV, I think youā€™ve mentioned using it before, but you can make a 100% backup of blu ray discs to MKV files with no compression, including all audio tracks in original format, etc using this program, all contained in a single MKV file.

So if youā€™re picky about preserving quality, you can make a full quality backup like this. It will of course be a large file, so gotta have that HD space. But buying some multi-TB drives is a reasonable investment and can be had fairly cheaply these days. Personally Iā€™m usually good with just the stereo or mono AC3 tracks, so the filesize is reasonable with just these audios.

For the price of a good quality multi-region player, you can get a hard drive that will store many full quality backups and a player to connect to your TV via HDMI.

At this point, I just view discs as back up copies. I rarely ever play actual discs any more.

1 Like

Many doesnā€™t sound like a lot :slight_smile: A typical blu-ray is around 40-50 Gb. So letā€™s say a movie takes up 30 Gb ripped. That is 100 movies on a 3TB disc. It sounds to me you will have to buy hd after hd to accomodate your collection. Several multi-disc releases will quickly fill up a hd. The worst thing must be the work ripping them. That would quickly get me tired. I like the backup idea though but with large collections it doesnā€™t seem feasible unless you want to spend all your time making backups :slight_smile: I have problems getting the time to see the damn movies.

1 Like

Not reallyā€¦ most blu rays in the realm of genre releases like spaghettis are actually only about 19gb for the film itself, including all original audio tracks. If you just backup the film without compression, thatā€™s only around 20gb per film, sometimes less, sometimes more depending on release, how long the film is, etc.

Now, if you are ok with just keeping stereo/mono AC3 audio tracks instead of the HD tracks, then you can decrease the size even further because the remixed HD audio tracks take up a few GB by themselves. The menus, little video bits that play in between, etc, all take up a lot of extra space. Plus the extras, which you may or may not want to keep all of. For just the purpose of retaining your movie collection, extras arenā€™t necessary

Further, you can optionally encode the film down to anywhere from 4-9gb while still preserving excellent quality.

If youā€™re just backing up the film to an MKV file without compressing, its very quick and easy. Insert disc, select what you want, save it to file. Doneā€¦

Its as easy as taking a screenshot

And even if you did have to buy several HDs for 100 movies, well just look at your shelves of movies and now compare that to a few HDs in regards to how much space it takes up in your house.

Plus they are all backed up now. Like Iā€™ve posted recently, I lost my Silver Saddle Koch blu ray because it no longer plays in any player and my blu ray drive wont read it either. Its like new condition and has only been stored on shelf. So just having a retail blu ray in perfect condition doesnā€™t mean it will lastā€¦

2 Likes

But you will still have bought the releases so they will still take up space :slight_smile: They donā€™t just magically go away because you back them up :slight_smile: Having a collection is also, well, having it. There is more than just the discs to a release and having it all packed away somewhere would be sad.

I collect other stuff than spaghettis and 30gb is not an uncommom size so a 100 to a hd would probably be about right. Extra compression would not be an option.

I know itā€™s probably easy to you but frankly I wouldnā€™t have the time to do that backup procedure. Would get tired each time a new package arrived I would have to backup. Discs go bad of course and as I said I can see the smartness in backupping but it takes more work than I care for :slight_smile: It works for you and that is great. I donā€™t have the stamina or the 30+ hds I would probably need.

Well for me they often do disappear, because I sell them. So then they also pay for the harddrives. Although I still have kept the best onesā€¦ aside from that, you can put the discs into flip cases instead of keeping the boxes to save space, if thatā€™s an issue. I donā€™t buy 100s of movies and I donā€™t feel any need to purchase most modern movies/big name stuff because it all shows up on streaming services often enough to watch.

The only movies I feel any need to retain in a collection is stuff that is more rare, harder to come by, and this is the reason to have it in your collection because its not easy to find if you want to watch. The kinds of movies that take up 40-50gb are the kinds of stuff I generally wouldnā€™t ever feel a need to own a copy of.

Iā€™ve very much grown out of the collecting phase, as in needing to fill my room with objects on a shelf. I used to love that stuff, the more space it took up the better. Now I find it to be an unhealthy obsession, and Iā€™m rather glad I grew out of it.

I suppose Iā€™m just a totally different case than most movie fans at this point. Iā€™m also too broke to be spending my money on movies, so its also something out of necessityā€¦

2 Likes

I havenā€™t ā€¦ but know exactly where youā€™re coming from - you should see my living room area FFS !!!

Going to have a clear out via ebay for rare items and the charity shop for the crap :wink:

2 Likes

Well, I havenā€™t completely grown out of it. Iā€™ve still kept a good amount of favorites that are harder to part with. I still have collections of various media formats, posters, but I have largely grown out of feeling the compulsion to continually buy new releases.

I used to be very much compulsive about it, often buying stuff I didnā€™t even actually like that much just because it belonged in the collection, even when I couldnā€™t afford it.

I still slip into that compulsion at times

3 Likes

Been there, done that and bought the limited edition T-Shirt ! :wink:

3 Likes

Converting to a digital library really makes you begin to evaluate if you actually like something or not, enough to actually keep it around. Because when you start to run low on space, you gotta make some decisions.

You also arenā€™t creating some kind of false appreciation around a movie because it has a nice looking box and was super hyped up by the company at release.

It becomes simply a movie, that is either good or not.

To paraphrase Fenriz of Darkthrone - it doesnā€™t matter how many records you own, it only matters how many youā€™ve heard

Apologies for derailing thread

3 Likes

I am not rich so I only have about 280 blu-ray releases. Theyā€™re all backed up on my hard drives. I donā€™t buy boxes full of blu-rays every month. Just ones here and there that I want in my small collection. I have netflix on my PS3 but I rarely use it. I am still compulsive sometimes but not on a large scale. I donā€™t have any desire to sell the small collection I have.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve enough material in a variety of formats to never need to watch broadcast TV again - Most of it has only been viewed once, and Iā€™ve fallen into the habit of buying multiple copies of things I really donā€™t need.

Thankfully most of it has been bought 2nd hand through charity shops and ebay ā€¦ so in a way Iā€™m helping out fellow addicts ! LOL ā€¦ who am I trying to kid! :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, my main point Iā€™m trying to address is that I view a lot of what seems like habitual behaviour within film communities based around a culture of collection - having a perceived status by virtue of obtaining a great collection, or just generally feeling that rush when you order a new movie & get your package in the mail. Not trying to pass judgment on anyone and if you can afford it, then certainly no harm in your enjoyment.

But there does seem to be a general lack of activity surrounding discussion of actual films within these communities, and more of a focus on discussing their retail releases and the details of said releases

1 Like

Very much so - in fact I asked a question a few months back about the WildEast release of ā€˜Long Days of Vengeanceā€™, to determine if their version had a legit full English audio track ā€¦ no one replied! ā€¦ is this because that item is still in itā€™s shrink wrap ? or do you all just hate me !!! LOL :wink:

2 Likes

But then you are advocating piracy unless you delete your backup. In that case I see your point and at least the space and expenses to the hds is cleared but that is cheating :slight_smile: I either case still too much work for me.

1 Like

I definitely advocate piracy

but, I am also a piece of shit that is too poor to buy much of anything, so its either piracy or nothing.

But letā€™s get real for a moment, most of the members here have very large amounts of burned discs in their collections, ie, piracy

2 Likes

Not going into that discussion. I do think itā€™s unfair stabs youā€™re throwing at the collector communities though. Itā€™s probably that that keeps many of these releases coming. So if they didnā€™t have their sick hobby you would have nothing to pirate. I buy a lot of movies but guess what I watch a lot of movies :slight_smile: One doesnā€™t negate the other. I donā€™t advertise either much though. I just like watching movies.

1 Like

ā€¦ and we are getting way off topic. We can split the discussion about the technical aspects of ripping blurays into a separate topic, but since that is technically a circumention of copy protection and thus illegal in most places I know, that topic would be a swifft candidate for deletion. I suggest we all buy the little spaghetti western releases that exist in order to keep up demand. if we nip this small demand in the bud, we are not doing ourselves any favors.

Now back to Kino :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really? Because the only two threads I see you post in are the two threads about what blu rays you just bought

This forum has gone to shit honestly, because thatā€™s all anyone posts about here any moreā€¦ what they bought and encouraging others to buy buy buy, including the adminā€™s direction of the site to earn referral commissions

Thereā€™s hardly anyone posting about what they are watching or the movies themselves

Iā€™m having to hold my posts back because I keep replying to myself about what I just watched

I dont really give a shit if I have nothing to pirate. I suppose because I have $4 in my bank account and can barely afford to exist in the world that I donā€™t deserve to enjoy the films we all love.

Signing off, again,

aute

1 Like

I know what you mean. I have been clearing out for the last two years. I am now VERY selective about what I buy. DVD wise anyway.
I am focusing on autographs at the moment.

2 Likes