Killer Caliber .32 / Killer calibro 32 (Alfonso Brescia, 1967)

I really liked .32 Caliber Killer. It was my first PLL film and I enjoyed him in it. As I stated in another topic, I enjoy Spags with some mystery, and while the end reveal was kinda lame I enjoyed the film. Not a classic, but a solid Spag IMHO. 3 and 1/2 stars.

I enjoy that too, a lttle mystery added to the spaghetti dish, it keep things moving, even when the film isnā€™t top class.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Nice review, scherpschutter(as always)! Any chance of a Killer Adios review? I have the Wild East DVD, so I have to ask. :smiley:

Will (most probably) be the next review

Awesome review Scherp, and not a bad little film either.

that was awesome acting and a wonderful western

Having watched 2 PLL films already this year (4 Pistols for Trinity and More Dollars for The McGregors) and wanting to see another that hadnā€™t been previously viewed (I think Iā€™ve seen all his others?) I opted for this.
I remember getting bored when I started it some years ago - but I persevered this time and got past the very silly bar-brawl scene, and started to enjoy it more than I had before.
But - unlike scherpy, (in his review) - I didnā€™t feel that I ā€œliked PLL a lotā€ in this. That overly 8) cool persona doesnā€™t suit him so wellā€¦ and like Stanton, I more envisioned his as a role for Garko - although I was pleased it didnā€™t rely on gadgets for its ā€˜coolnessā€™ - just a sharp suit, sharp-shooting and silver bullets.

Overall, this is an ok outing - Iā€™d given it half marks, but Iā€™ve rounded down for the poll** - the rotoscopy-stylee start had cacti - the film did not.
:wink:

**[Edit - there isnā€™t a poll either]

I find Lawrenceā€™s face pretty dislikeable, I think it is more suited to play villains, I canā€™t help bur root for someone to wipe that sardonic smile of his face :slight_smile:

I like Peter Lee Lawrence, the best film ive seen him in is Days of Violence. Killer Caliber 32 was, from memory, underwhelming.

A poor manā€™s Sartana minus the gimmickry. I was never a big fan of PLL, but heā€™s quite alright in this one, being more of a lethal detective rather than a hired hand. Got a bit bored in the last 15 minutes and felt that the film could have ended earlier. Not bad, not very good as a whole either.

Thereā€™s a great line towards the end, where he says ā€œAlive you werenā€™t worth a damn, dead youā€™re worth 2000 dollars, Spotā€ :slight_smile: Watching this right now (reviewing the German BluRay)

2 Likes

For the record, that Morricone score was originally composed for Le pistole non discutono (1964).

2 Likes

I had the chance to watch this over the weekend and enjoyed it. The biggest appeal for me was the mystery who-done-it plot which sort of made it feel like a Sartana film. This is also the first Peter Lee Lawrence western Iā€™ve seen and I think he made a good leading man. It has its flaws and definitely wonā€™t be making it on my top twenty list, but if youā€™re in the mood for an easy Spaghetti Western itā€™s not a bad choice.

1 Like

The 2 Worse Flaws (To Me) was The Super Punch That Sent the Young Kid Flying Half Way Through The Saloon (Twice) I can Never Understand why a Director Would Ruin a Serious Movie with Such Buffoonery

Definitely Not Top 20 but Good Possibility of Making Top 50 Definitely Top 60

Yeah I agree, I donā€™t think the comedic elements serve the movie well at all. It felt like they were trying to throw some slapstick in there but it just feels out of place.

1 Like

CG has added a digital download, but no DVD, interestingly

Huge number of the cast hiding under misspelt English aliases in this one even in the Italian print. Recognised Nello of course but had no clue who he was from the cast list. . Helene Chanel looks amazing - why did he hand her over to the law at the end!
Who is ā€˜Lucy Scayā€™ who plays Janet? No other credits so Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s not her real name.

1 Like

let me know if there are any specific corrections or additions to be made on Killer calibro 32 - The Spaghetti Western Database regarding the cast.

Also, I uploaded the filmā€™s page in the database to the new format. Any additions, corrections and other changes or suggestions are more than welcome.

I was just rolling back through the comments to see if anyone else had noticed this ā€¦ I picked up on it right from the opening scene, and found the film unwatchable for this reason ā€¦

Itā€™s not a deliberate echo effect, but some weird defect on the soundtrack ā€¦ I have noticed this before on other films and TV shows ā€¦ Perhaps during audio mixing the sound people have forgotten to fade down a second unsynchronised dialogue track ā€¦ The TV broadcast from movies4men and the BD have the same problem.

Any technical people here that can offer a reason for this?