Killer Caliber .32 / Killer calibro 32 (Alfonso Brescia, 1967)

Watched Killer Caliber 32 last night and was much more impressed with this one than Killer, Adios. While also playing the ā€œGentleman Killerā€, PLL looks cooler and is more of an asshole than the goodguy. I thought the film was extremely well paced and never found myself getting bored or uninterested. I even enjoyed the fight scenes. For some reason, the over the top fights worked for me and I had a good chuckle with these. Especially the scene where the guy tries to stop Silver from talking to his lady, and Silver sends him flying through the air with one punch. Lots of cool gun scenes, like the one shot from the angle just behind Silverā€™s gun as heā€™s walking towards the man heā€™s about to kill.

Highly enjoyed, recommended.

1 Like

i think one thing perhaps worth commenting on here, while I generally hate all fistfight and brawl scenes, especially cheesy onesā€¦ they worked for me in this film. I think that it may be because they were done admist serious violence, and they were actually somewhat well done. While the film does not take itself too seriously, as mentioned in Col. Douglas Mortimerā€™s review, it certainly does not have the attitude of the Trinity films.

When these unexpected moments of guys flying through the air from punches happen, I found myself laughing instead of dreading another poor choreographed fight to be over.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:37, topic:838ā€]Actually, I quite like this one. An enjoyable film on the whole and PLL does a decent job. Not a film thatā€™s going to trouble my top 20 (or top 50 for that matter) but well worth a viewing. The girls are very nice in this at any rate. And the theme tune and opening credits definitely get the thumbs up. Unfortunately, the english dub doesnā€™t do it any favours. Reminds me a bit of Texas Adios in that regard.

It is unusual to see such a dandy lead character in a spaghetti made at this time. And a detective to boot. I agree with the connections made in previous posts about Sartana but the even more obvious link with Garko of course is that he played the same character, Silver, in The Price of Death.[/quote]

I watched this again the other night/day. I came on here to read through the thread to see if there was anything about the English dub. Philā€™s is the only comment.
I had a odd experience with the dub. I LIKED it. Or a least the script and the way the dubbing actor voiced it. I really like PLLā€™s performance in this movie. It is the one I like best by him that Iā€™ve seen so far. But I recognize that there is something ā€œoffā€ about the marriage between PLLā€™s performance & the dub, so it is a detriment in that regard. But I kind of enjoyed them independently of each other.
At one point PLL returns to his hotel room to find (yet again) a woman there, waiting for him. She says: ā€œGood evening Silverā€. He (as he lights his lamp): "Well, good evening to YOU. How are things?"
He delivers this line with casual nonchalance. It is delivered perfectly by the dubbing actor and acted perfectly by PLL. But they donā€™t quite go together. PLL is great and the dubbing actor I thought did an above average job but they did not quite meet in the middle.
Both both captured the essence of the character perfectly but I had the schizophrenic experience of having them do it almost independently of each other.
And, no, I was not drinking cider.
Unfortunately.

Finally I had the chance to watch it. Like many already said this Silver character reminds a lot Sartanaā€™s, but the movie has a less complicated plot which is in my opinion a nice touch. Saw the Wild East release which uses a decent widescreen print, almost exempt of damage.

The suspenseful barn scene at the end was left me with a good impression of the movie. I donā€™t think would have liked it that much if it wasnā€™t for that scene.

A different final duel, I liked it.

I watched this one alongside with another Lee Lawrence flick Days of Violence, which was quite boring and uninspired,
but 32 Killer was okay, nothing very suprising - a harmless spaghetti fun, which certainly didnĀ“t accelerated my heartbeat.
I most liked Lawrence in Garringo.

Watched this today and it was a lot better than I expected to be, one of Bresciaā€™s best films actually.

Nello Pazzafini appears in a scene in a bar, so you expect a bar room brawl ā€¦ and there is :smiley:

Thereā€™s one thing bugging me though, the music. Iā€™ve either seen this before and canā€™t remember it, the music has been in another western or Iā€™ve heard it on a western cd compilation or something.

Just watched this film, decent flick - goes in my well stocked 3/5 star pile for this genre.

Youā€™re right about the music Yodlaf, there is a song that I know for sure is on my Morricone western film compilation, just canā€™t recall what it isā€¦

Iā€™ve watched some minutes of Brazilian version and noticed that the soundtrack was replaced by some Morriconeā€™s ā€œdollarsā€ themes.

And for those who speak/read CamƵes language, hereā€™s a tiny review of this mofo:

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:41, topic:838ā€]Watched Killer Caliber 32 last night and was much more impressed with this one than Killer, Adios. While also playing the ā€œGentleman Killerā€, PLL looks cooler and is more of an asshole than the goodguy. I thought the film was extremely well paced and never found myself getting bored or uninterested. I even enjoyed the fight scenes. For some reason, the over the top fights worked for me and I had a good chuckle with these. Especially the scene where the guy tries to stop Silver from talking to his lady, and Silver sends him flying through the air with one punch. Lots of cool gun scenes, like the one shot from the angle just behind Silverā€™s gun as heā€™s walking towards the man heā€™s about to kill.

Highly enjoyed, recommended.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I never got bored with this one and enjoyed the Sartana-esque character of Silver. Oh, and the recycled music didnā€™t bother me at all. 4/5

Viewed this one again. Smooth character Peter Lee Lawrence in this one. Nice to see in 2.35 widescreen via the Wild East disc. About half way through the film some of the voices appeared to have like an echo type of effect.

Since recently viewing, this guy who plays the character in the English dub named Freeman has been bugging me. Who is he??

possibly Emilio Messinaā€¦

The guy behind him is his henchman, Jose.

I think you are right.

In the original version these two characters are called Sanchez and Slim respectively.

Franco Pesce also appears in the film (old man on coach).

Thank you for the reply. Iā€™ll add that to the DB.

Regarding Pesce, I also thought that was him when I viewed the film. I even added him to the DB (we have Gigi Bonos) but since Iā€™ve always seen Pesce with white or gray hair and whiskered, I reverted it back. Bonos has a similar look so I wasnā€™t sure. I should have asked, uh?

Old man on coach (Sullivan in English dub). Franco Pesce or Luigi Bonos?
Sorry, I donā€™t have a decent sized pic of Gigi.

Another character that is somehow familiar.

Silverā€™s friend, Alonzo, and the spokesperson for Mastersonā€™s workers.

Sullivan = Franco Pesce

Alonso = Luigi Bonos (see distinguishing mark on left cheek)

:wink:

[quote=ā€œJonathanCorbett, post:56, topic:838ā€]Sullivan = Franco Pesce

Alonso = Luigi Bonos (see distinguishing mark on left cheek) [/quote]

Thanks, Jonathon
Maybe we should start a Whoā€™s Who thread, then again having these questions in the filmā€™s thread may be more helpful overall.

[quote=ā€œCarlos, post:57, topic:838ā€]Thanks, Jonathon
Maybe we should start a Whoā€™s Who thread, then again having these questions in the filmā€™s thread may be more helpful overall.[/quote]

I think we did have a Whoā€™s who thread, but it went under another name if Iā€™m not mistaken. But I canā€™t remember.

Thereā€™s at least one I started years ago:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,806.0.html

[/URL]

Mr. Silver has arrived on the Reviews pages, along with a few well-dressed colleages:

[size=12pt][url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/32_Caliber_Killer_Review]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/32_Caliber_Killer_Review[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/32leekiller.jpg/[/url][/size]